BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

EDM

Question

Hi.....:D

We all love food.....It's the most basic necessity in the world.... :)

Please take a look at these statistics:

http://library.thinkquest.org/C002291/high/present/stats.htm

http://www.annecollins.com/obesity/statistics-obesity.htm

http://www.state.sc.us/dmh/anorexia/statistics.htm

http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/after-up-now-foodgrains-rot-in-maharashtra-39155

What are your views on such matters? and what do you think should be done for the people and children of the world with such problems?

I feel that more people should come up for things like this instead of controversial matters.......:)

So....What's your opinion? :D

Edited by EDM

23 answers to this question

Edm, The way I found that works really well is to give 10% of what I earn to my local church. Which has a food and cloths pantry to help feed and cloth those that are less fortunate. :thumbsup:

well....these are nice things.....but what i'm most concerned about is why not many people care?

There are people who waste food, people with anorexia, bulimia, obesity........why can't we see that it's affecting all of us, not just them???

You know how you tend to discuss on the existence of God and other ridiculous controversial matters (no offense :blush:), but this is more important, don't you think?

I put up a couple of links on helping the poor starving people sometime back.., but I don't know whether it helped.....:unsure:

Edited by EDM

complex issue, you cant seperate under nousrishment from the overpopulation question. if we feed all the people on earth it will just contribute to the exploding population placing greater strains on the food creation/distribution network. I do not have an answer but it is definetly something that the entire world needs to work on.

btw good sites EDM and interesting topic perhaps some good will come of it.

I feel really sad to see the people without food at one end, and people stuffing themselves and wasting rampantly on the other......:(

If the undernourished people had food in their bellies, they would care to get educated and the population explosion would reduce (food --> education --> reduction in population and saving nature --> people are richer and happier (finally money will buy happiness...:D))

seems like an oversimplification. in fact historically speaking an increase in food has led to an increase in population. increasing the education as well as the income, ie standard of living obtainable has had more to do with reducing the rate of population growth. I agree starving people makes me sad too. Id like to find a way to end that. i dont think just giving food will work, i think it has to be attacked on many levels. ie food for starving, education for all. some kind of fair trade practiced so that the poor can earn a living. and probably a bunch of other stuff as well.

O geez after they said 200 people have died of starvation since you came on this site I xed out. Missile thing is interesting. Ever since the Cold War, don't we have enough missiles? SELL THE STEALTH BOMBERS, FOR THE CHILDREN! Or..... just bomb them all with the missiles and stealth bombers, they no longer hungry, food for all! :D Just kidding I wouldn't actually wish that upon anyone except people who enjoy tortuing other people. :mad:

Edited by NickFleming

seems like an oversimplification. in fact historically speaking an increase in food has led to an increase in population. increasing the education as well as the income, ie standard of living obtainable has had more to do with reducing the rate of population growth. I agree starving people makes me sad too. Id like to find a way to end that. i dont think just giving food will work, i think it has to be attacked on many levels. ie food for starving, education for all. some kind of fair trade practiced so that the poor can earn a living. and probably a bunch of other stuff as well.

Yes, I understand......but think about a poor boy; do you think he's going to care about learning if he has nothing to fill his belly???

I said food to education, thinking about the kids.......after they've eaten, they'll be able to think of things like education........:)

So I was basically saying what you did......but in stages....:D

Yeah, Nick....i know what you mean......they are like that.....thinking about weapons when half the world have almost no hope left.....yeah, how great is that......:dry:

Simply put: Give a man a Fish, Feed Him For a Day. Teach a Man to Fish, Feed Him For a Lifetime.-Lao Tzu

I think blaming famine on overpopulation is the malthusian view, which, as I learned in Geography class, is inaccurate. There's enough food for everyone, the problem is the unequal distribution. I think the places where there isn't enough food lack organization of the production and distribution, and I don't think it's a coincidence that these places are mostly former European colonies. Their entire system is based on exportation, because that's what they were "designed" for in the first place. Of course sending money and food helps, but there has to be a massive change in the production system to solve the problem once and for all. Also I don't think the US can sell a missile or a stealth bomber to donate the money, unfortunately. They sell it, and the next day the entire world is blown up. The thing was not make it in the first place. But the countries, naturally, have to worry about themselves before the other countries, and famine is not much of a rich country problem. Well, that's my opinion, sorry if I wrote too much.

SHOCKING..DISGUSTING..such a waste.. why can't these people distribute the same milk to children in slum, making their protest meaningful..

they are just a bunch of mentally sick people

Now, I'm not trying to be mean or make you feel bad or anything, but how many of us are actually DOING SOMETHING to help with this? Personally I really can't, I'm thirteen and don't get much of an allowance, and believe I'm allowed to have a little money to spend on my own. Plus shipping costs wouldn't really make it worth it. Hambone's doing something, giving money to his church. So, if you don't LIKE this, then go out and do something. Donate money, donate food, start a movement, call your congressmen, do SOMETHING! Don't just sit here talking about it.

The only tyrant I accept is the still voice within-Mahatma Gandhi.

Don't let your voice be still! And I have every intention of helping when I enter the working world.

Edited by NickFleming

No, Nick....you didn't make me feel bad; good point.....:thumbsup::D

i put up free click links to help for different causes, along with food......giving charity through the church is a great thing too......voicing your opinion on such news and speaking up is a wonderful thing, too......don't worry, i've been doing that.......but this topic is more for awareness purposes......people need to know how bad this is......with the recession, things have just gotten worse.......if more people are aware, there's a better chance for those who need help, right? :)

*in other words; many people who can help, don't bother much.....and we need to wake them up....... :D

Edited by EDM