BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

unreality

Question

MURDER MYSTERY II: The Shifting Sands of Shyzoth

In ancient times the desert city of Shyzoth was a shining jewel, an oasis of prosperity amid the bronze and white crystalline sands of the vast desert. A thousand years before it was the seat of the greatest and largest empire of this planet, an empire spanning multiple continents. Now the empire has long since fallen into disarray, a multitude of competing city-states. Of these regions, however, Shyzoth is perhaps the oldest and most powerful. It is a city webbed by canals, aqueducts and irrigation systems where water == life in such a harsh location. Its buildings are ancient and sandy and majestic, topped with colorful minarets and the dominant religion, Hanshin, supplies many towers as Pinnacles reaching toward the exalted land in the sky.

The city is also a city of intrigue. A shady organization known as Tal'vrak runs the underground. Black markets thrive using secret signs and smoke symbols, integrated into the bustling street markets. Amid the trading of ancient empire artifacts and array of useful items is the trading of illegal weapons, drugs (Shyzoth is the capital of the world for an addicting desert flower called psyflora) and even slaves. There are certain streets that even the stalwart City Enforcers hesitate to visit. Streets that you can go to hire dark-robed monk assassins and slimy cutthroats, but only if you accept the risk of dying in the process.

The politics of Shyzoth are as complex and twisting as its high-walled streets and network of dusty canals. A figure known as the Mazoth rules the city as sort of a mayor, but the Mazoth does not have absolute control, far from it. The Mazoth must answer to his puppet masters, the Shyzoth Chancellors, a group of 5 ex-Mazoths that supposedly have lots of wisdom and charisma but really just have pockets full of gifts and bribes from various organizations, companies and individuals. Many potential Mazoths run for office on the idea of bringing justice and accountability to the halls of leadership, but they have to balance this initial desire with the possible future of becoming a Chancellor themselves after their 5 year term is up. It's a public election to be a Mazoth but when a Chancellor dies, the remaining Chancellors hold a private meeting to choose the replacement from ex-Mazoths, hence all the @ss-kissing that goes on.

That's not all though. It is often said that Shyzoth has two different avenues of leadership. After the empire fell due to its connection to a violent religion called Zamoa (which is now outlawed everywhere and hated and feared), all city-states are ideally supposed to be secular. However the religion Hanshin, which has been around for a very long time as the religion of the desert nomads, has taken root in Shyzoth in the past few hundred years and come to dominate the spiritual scene. The church is led by women only and the position of Theocrata goes to the most esteemed of these women. It is a position of dictatorship and extreme fundamentalism. Hanshin is a religion that attempts to integrate itself with every possible aspect of daily life and make its presence known.

Now that we have some background, let's introduce the scenario. A small number of people have gathered in a public square to hear the speech of a man known as Cabuul. Cabuul entered the city a couple weeks ago with a small troupe of followers, admirers and "disciples" that he collects in his wanderings. Many different types of people come to these kind of speeches. Many have crazy theories about codes within what he speaks. He has called himself a Martyr for Truth even though he was still alive. He's an enigma and a troublemaker. Medical personalities have diagnosed him with mild schizophrenia and extreme narcissism. Social personalities have described his voice as fluid and delicious and captivating.

Now he's dead.

More details to come later, but basically the City Enforcers have quarantined off the square and everyone that was listening to Cabuul's speech for one reason or another must remain inside until the killer has been brought to justice. However city law states that a quarantine can only be under effect for a certain time limit. If the killer has not been arrested by < *** >, the quarantine lifts and everyone can go home - including the killer, and this will become a cold case. (There are no intermediate "hours" or anything like that, it's a straight shot).

Now the City Enforcers have supplied two of their best people to be the official handlers of the case, and unlike the two the detectives from the previous MM, the City Enforcers have actual authority here. They can make arrests and prevent BTSC with the arrested person while they question them under influence of truth serums. However after the third (or maybe fourth?) false arrest they will be taken off the case and then the killer can only be caught my a majority vote citizen's arrest. Ordinary citizens cannot make arrests or accusations on their own, they must present their case to the City Enforcers who have agreed to hear out any cases reasonably before deciding to arrest. If the arrest was correct, the credit will go to the citizen that suggested it (or to the City Enforcers if they did it of their own volition).

There are also other things that need figuring out. There will be a list of questions that citizens want to find the answers to in addition to snooping out the killer. There are more crimes than just murder. If the citizens deliver correct answers to the City Enforcers they will be rewarded; punished for wrong answers. Also the killer may or may not have a secret agenda in progress during the events.

All of the characters will have more personality and more secret information than last time and the events around the murder will be more fleshed out… it's a good idea to not give away all your info at once though, not if you want to survive and possibly win. There will be multiple layers of intrigue.

There will also be "items", tangible objects (possibly evidence-related) that can change hands and be used to provide various information, abilities, etc.

Don't let yourself be covered by the shifting sands of Shyzoth…

Public Knowledge:

> not having a list of "questions" to answer

> an arrest involves the City Enforcers arresting a specific person for a specific crime. The truth serum is good for 1 question - to determine if they did that specific crime or not. Then the enforcers can hold that person in individual quarantine (no BTSC except with the enforcers) as long as they want, but only one person can be arrested at a time

> 3 incorrect arrests before it becomes a situation of majority voting. We'll explain that if/when it comes to it

> list of people in the square: (with some personality traits in brackets)

Businessman [hotheaded, big ego, likes to get in scuffles]

Disciple [always getting caught up on/fascinated by tiny details]

Chancellor [prudish and germophobic]

Hot Dog Vendor Dude [outgoing, people person]

Hobo/Beggar [sloppy, sometimes drunk]

Hanshin Priestess (Identical Twin Sister to Scientist) [devoutly religious]

Outsider [foreign accent]

City Enforcer I [aggressive]

City Enforcer II [obsessed with the law, nitpicky]

Man Eating Sandwich [talks with a full mouth; observant though]

Coroner [nervous wreck]

Well-Known Tal'Vrak Mob Boss [mob boss attitude]

Hippie [hippyish]

Pregnant Animal Trainer Lady [good at manipulating men]

Scientist (Identical Twin Sister to Hanshin Priestess) [intellectual]

when you claim a role, also give him/her a name! And of course you always act as your role would, and always remain in character on the thread and in game-related PMs

Hosts: Unreality & Frost

1) Filly

2) Golfjunkie

3) Framm

4) Molly Mae

5) Blablah

6) Izzy

7) yuiop

8) MissKitten

9) JarZe (unconfirmed)

10) Klose

11) JS

12) Kat

13) GMaster479

14) dawh

15) nashville 1998

• Answers 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Nieni: For the last time, Asma, that force you are feeling is not divine or holy. The world is as it is out of pure chance and nothing more. What evidence do you have of a higher power? Have you ever seen your god? And why did you miss dinner with Mother evening before last?

yuiop ~ Businessman [hotheaded, big ego, likes to get in scuffles]Mr...

Blablah ~ Disciple [always getting caught up on/fascinated by tiny details] Miles Barker

Klose ~ Chancellor [prudish and germophobic] Buzz Killington

MissKitten ~ Hot Dog Vendor Dude [outgoing, people person] Bob

((unclaimed)) Hobo/Beggar [sloppy, sometimes drunk]

Zerep ~ Hanshin Priestess (Identical Twin Sister to Scientist) [devoutly religious] Asma Mazar-a Sharif

JarZe ~ Outsider [foreign accent] François LaPonte

Filly ~ City Enforcer I[aggressive] Ralph

dawh ~ City Enforcer II [obsessed with the law, nitpicky] Inspector Crouseau

Framm ~ Man Eating Sandwich [talks with a full mouth; observant though] Mmarf

GJ ~ Coroner [nervous wreck] Cole Sear

GMaster ~ Well-Known Tal'Vrak Mob Boss [mob boss attitude] Don Marlon

Izzy ~ Hippie [hippyish] Ziggy Stardust

Kat ~ Pregnant Animal Trainer Lady [good at manipulating men] Tiffany Silverstein

Molly Mae ~ Scientist (Identical Twin Sister to Hanshin Priestess) [intellectual] Alk'ti Nieni Malak

Asma: Good day Ziggy. *turns to Nieni* Don't get me started. Why do you have to be so difficult? The evidence is within you, within us all. It's around us. Nature and of all its inhabitants. The fact that we're standing here is evidence. And I told you, I had to meet with the High Priestess.

Asma: Back in the old days, you'd get your tongue cut out for that language! You're only further proving god's presence! We are abstract, god is a defined definite being.

Ziggy: *Actually*, sound waves are patterns of disturbances caused by the movement of energy traveling through a medium (such as air, water, or any other liquid or solid matter) as they propagate away from the source of the sound. The source is some object that causes a vibration, a person's vocal chords. The vibration disturbs the particles in the surrounding medium; those particles disturb those next to them, and so on. The pattern of the disturbance creates outward movement in a wave pattern, like waves of seawater on the ocean. The wave carries the sound energy through the medium, usually in all directions and less intensely as it moves farther from the source.

So unless Gawd causes EVERY vibration in the world, he doesn't create sound waves. :P To do so means he's using humans as puppets, literally controlling our every move. It means everything is pre-destined to occur how it does, and that God is a major tool. Questions?

Miles: That makes perfect sense mate! I'm with Ziggy. And Asma, I think you might be the murderer. You have the perfect defense, "God told me to." Who's to deny you? Ziggy.

Blablah ~ Disciple [always getting caught up on/fascinated by tiny details] Miles Barker

onetruth Hobo/Beggar [sloppy, sometimes drunk] Red

Zerep ~ Hanshin Priestess (Identical Twin Sister to Scientist) [devoutly religious] Asma Mazar-a Sharif

Kat ~ Pregnant Animal Trainer Lady [good at manipulating men] Tiffany Silverstein

Molly Mae ~ Scientist (Identical Twin Sister to Hanshin Priestess) [intellectual] Alk'ti Nieni Malak

Hey, anyone here 21 yet? I lost my ID. I got 3 bucks...Go get 2 32 oz cans and you can drink one with me.

Asma: I'm glad you understand then. Hanshin influences every aspect of life.

Ziggy: *continues doing yoga* Gawd made you say that, bro, enjoy your puppetry. :rolleyes: He also makes people call him names. Blasphemy is merely Gawd's self-hatred. B))

Crouseau: Calm down people. We're here to solve a murder, not debate religion. If neither of you have a permit, I may have to fine you for proselytizing outside a designated zone... :angry: The law is very clear on that: Shyzoth Decree MMDV, Section III, Subsection XI: All persons wishing to preach their religion in the streets must possess a permit granted by the high council or its representative to speak in an area designated by said permit. Violators of this decree are subject to a fine determined by the enforcer. Further failure to comply with this decree can result in imprisonment.

If you help us solve this mystery with the dead man, then I'll overlook your transgressions this once, but if I feel you're holding out on me, I won't hesitate to book you. :dry:

Asma: Can't a devout priestess make a joke? Miles, the investigation hasn't started yet, so lets wait before bashing Hanshin. Inspector Crouseau, I'm quite sorry, I'll mind my tongue from now on.

Edited by Zerep

we've started the PM process. But only a few people have their PMs so far, I have to go, Frost will be on later, I'll be on later, but we can please, until either Frost or I posts the Main Intro Post, have a moratorium on communication?

That means no talking in the thread after this post. About anything. Especially the game. And especially info you now have from your PM because only a few people have gotten them so far. We're working on it.

It also means no PMs, no PCs, no gmail/AIM/MSN/facebook chats revealing anything or discussing the game or whatever.

Nada zip zelch until we post the main post up on this thread? Then we can truly begin :) [the reason for this is that it will be staggered in receiving your info PM, we don't want anything to be unfair :)]

Alright guys, hold off for a bit. I'm sending out roles information now (unreality already sent two of you yours), and then I'll post the intro. Once I've done that you can get started discussing all you want. Please refrain from posting/PMing others until I've made the intro post (there's enough for me to pay attention to as it is).

Oops, unreality posted just before me. :P

Edited by Frost

From atop the small pedestal in the center of the square, Cabuul’s voice boomed out over the small crowd that had gathered:

"I am here today ladies and gentlemen to show love in ways you have not seen.”

It was a great time for the Hot Dog Vendor Dude, who always got a ton of sales from the random strangers that these crazy-types tended to gather. The combination of copious sales with crackpot entertainment made these days some of the best for him.

“Blow into your mind and body like a breeze of wisdom! A gift for you from I.”

The Well-Known Tal'Vrak Mob Boss sat in the shade of the umbrella at one of his favorite "restaurants." He watched Cabuul cautiously, trying to determine the intent of the speech.

“Up above we shall be rewarded sweetly.”

Knowing of Cabuul's speech beforehand, the Hanshin Priestess came for herself to see what his motives were. She couldn't allow anyone to publicly speak out against her faith, which was the only thing keeping this city together.

“The divine overlord will punish nonbelievers though. It absolutely despises the status quo!”

Ever the realist, the Scientist knew what Cabuul preached could never come to pass, and was ridiculous in its own right. Besides, she was more concerned for her sister, fearing the mighty grip of the Hanshin religion which encompassed the entirity of her sister's life.

“To die is to be stagnant! I can promise you eternal salvation soon! Can Hanshin? No!”

Plodding through the bustle of people, the Businessman pondered his latest business proposition. Not paying attention to where he was going, he almost bumped into someone, managing only to brush against their hand. Still deep in thought, he carried on just as before.

“We must fight the stagnant powers that do evil in the world.”

Amongst the crowd stood the Man Eating Sandwich, who chomped vigorously on a bite of his delectable sandwich. The tender chicken, the juicy tomato, the crisp lettuce, and that sauce of perfection! He just could not get enough of that magnificent creation, which put him in a state of deep satisfaction.

“You are a temple of truth, not of disaster.”

Off on another man-hunt, the Pregnant Animal Trainer Lady had come to the square, uninhibited by the child growing inside her. Even with a massive belly, she wouldn't quit. Thankfully Cabuul had drawn quite the crowd...

“Violence was the Old Way. This is New.”

As Cabuul's speech droned on, the Disciple stared back, focused on Cabuul's every word. He noticed all the little intricacies of Cabuul's mannerisms and eloquence, amazed to be standing so close to such an awe-inspiring figure.

“Worry not about bomb, crossbow, disease.”

On his day off, the Coroner relaxed by the fountain of the square, barely paying attention to what Cabuul was saying. He just wanted to avoid the terrible heat, which wasn't easy in this desert city.

“Only take what you can carry to the afterlife!”

Leaning against the wall of a fruit shop along the side of the square, the Hobo eyed the Man Eating Sandwich's sandwich, which look absolutley delicious. If only he hadn't spent all his money on booze...

“Darkness exists in our enemies. Is corruption on stagnation acceptable? No!”

Upon arriving at the city of Shyzoth, the Outsider decided to explore the complexity of the city on all levels. He had stopped in the square, intrigued by Cabuul's speech, only to grow more curious about what this city had to offer.

“Fight the ominous authority! And do so without the Old Way.”

Out for his daily stroll through the streets of Shyzoth, the Chancellor paused to take in the words of Cabuul. As he looked at the various citizens of this great city, someone brushed against the side of his hand. Instantly freaked out, he rushed to find a sterilized bathroom, returning a few minutes later.

“Located in your heart is the truth: me.”

High as a kite, the Hippie stood nearby, completely zoned out of the situation. His thoughts roved around peace, love, and all that jazz as he stared into the bright blue sky above.

“I am the Truth! Follow me to your salvation!"

When Cabuul finished his riveting speech, a few things happened at once. Some people looked on expectantly, some people lunged, some people stopped themselves, some people - most people - gasped as Cabuul fell backward in a spurt of blood (instantly curdling in the blazing desert heat). It happened too fast for anybody to really realize what happened or to see anything. One moment, Cabuul was standing, a half-formed smile of zealous elation on his face. The next, he was on the ground, dead. The Coroner, experienced with death, was one of the first to realize what happened and rushed over.

"S-s-s-somebody call the City Enforcers!" he shouted and then checked the vitals. Everyone crowded around. Cabuul was dead. The man the legend the savior. Dead. Killed. "It has to be murder," the Coroner quickly concluded. "Everyone should stay here. Remain in the square until the En-Enforcers arrive. That's procedure. Pro-protocol. Inspector Crouseau is kind of nitpi-picky about that k-k-kind of stuff."

While not normally possessing much authority, the gravity of the situation and the crowding of the group (all looking in on Cabuul's dead body) kept everyone in place for a few minutes before the enforcers arrived. First came Ralph, then Inspector Crouseau. Ralph came from the area of the city that's not so great, feeding his aggressive personality. But Crouseau comes from the commissioner's office, a mainly legalistic paperwork job.

Within minutes the square has been quarantined. Everyone that was in the square for one reason or another CANNOT leave. Not for the 24 hours that they have legal jurisdiction to rope off the premises. After that time, any arrests they have made are final, and anyone guilty but not charged has escaped into the city. A clean getaway. It's up to everyone, working together (and of course for your own interests to catch the criminals via suggestion to the enforcers; and everyone's got something going on the side too, some kind of an objective, since everyone here is a human being just like you and me. We're all in this square for a reason, to catch the killer. There may be other crimes too, already happened, in mid process, or potential to happen. Big little. Who knows. Not you. That's for you to figure out. Everyone knows their general backstory and gist but can fill in the minor details when necessary or desired.

Public Knowledge:

> not having a list of "questions" to answer

> an arrest involves the City Enforcers arresting a specific person for a specific crime. The truth serum is good for 1 question - to determine if they did that specific crime or not. Then the enforcers can hold that person in individual quarantine (no BTSC except with the enforcers) as long as they want, but only one person can be arrested at a time

> 3 incorrect arrests before it becomes a situation of majority voting. We'll explain that if/when it comes to it

The 24 hours in game time TRANSLATES TO EIGHT ( 8 ) REAL LIFE DAYS. THERE WILL BE AN EXACT ENDING TIME DOWN TO THE SECOND :)

Players

onetruth Hobo/Beggar [sloppy, sometimes drunk] Red

Alright, the game has officially started, and will end in exactly 8 days! Get investigating! It's all on you guys to figure out what happened. B))

Oh, I almost forgot to mention, make sure to add both me and unreality to any conversations you have through PMs, so we can keep tabs on how the game is progressing!