BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Rollo

unreality

CASTS

If 3,

we know what the first letter is

Leaving us with two points.

A is second and S is third because from LASSO everything changed except A and S, meaning they have to be in the right places.

Edited by Aaryan

LAUGH - If 2 then A is second since the C is known to be first and DOUGH - 0 eliminates the UGH.

and then

If A is second O is last:

from LASSO - 2; not the L (C is known to be first), the A now is second and not the second S from TRUST - 0 so one of the first S or the O is correct

from VERSO - 1; not the VE as CA is now known to be the first two and not the S from TRUST - 0 so one of the R or O is correct.

so if one of both the S and O and R and O are correct, the only possibility is the O is last.

CARTS

Because CASTS was the same score as LASSO, we know that one of A and S have to be correct.

If 2, then A is the second letter because S->R is the only thing that changed from CASTS, but the score was the same and we established that the last 2 letters couldnt be correct and C is already proven .

If 1, then S is the third letter because it is the only thing that changed from CASTS, and the score went down 1.

If 3 then A and R are the second and third letters respectively, because we know that the last two letters cannot be TS as explained above.

C????

CRUST - 1    LASSO - 2    CASTS - 2

DOUGH - 0    VERSO - 1    LAUGH - 1

FLUNK - 0    CHEST - 1    CARTS - 2

CREST - 1    FLUSH - 0    CACAO - 3

AROMA - 0    TRUST - 0

fabpig +5

I am trying to follow the last two proofs. I will post score changes and letters in a bit.

plainglazed - Everything makes since if you meant "If the score of LAUGH=1", but it sounds like you wrote "If the score of LAUGH=2" Please clarify.

Aaryan - You said "Because CASTS was the same score as LASSO, we know that one of A and S have to be correct." This statement is a bit vague and is not well supported.

To explain my proof, we go letter by letter.

LASSO

CASTS

we have already figured out that C is the first letter

LASSO

CASTS

since LASSO and CASTS had the same score (2) and we already have one, we know that one of the letters in common with both words (A in second spot, S in third; since th last two letters were changed, so:

LASSO

CASTS

we know that either A or S has to be correct. After that, my other proof makes sense.

has to be the other letter in the correct place.

Edited by Aaryan

From CASTS to CARTS the only change was S->R, butthe score (2) remained the same. Since one of them © was proven, A (the only letter possible to score a point, based on my above explanation of why it cannot be the last two letter (TS).

CAMEO

CRUST - 1    LASSO - 2    CASTS - 2

DOUGH - 0    VERSO - 1    LAUGH - 1

FLUNK - 0    CHEST - 1    CARTS - 2

CREST - 1    FLUSH - 0    CACAO - 3

AROMA - 0    TRUST - 0

fabpig +20   plainglazed +10   fabpig has it!

I am giving plainglazed the 10 points for the A & O.

Edited by JDave

CARTS

Because CASTS was the same score as LASSO, we know that one of A and S have to be correct.

Aaryan - It would be more clear if you said:

LASSO=2 means that ?ASSO=2

CASTS=2 means that ?ASTS=1

Both letters ???SO from LASSO cannot be correct because that would require one of ?AS?? from CASTS to be correct, which would then increase the score on LASSO to 3 which is a contradiction.

The letters ?AS?? staying the same between the two words is indicative that one of them may be scoring, but not sufficient proof in and of itself. The way you stated it I couldn't be clear which you meant.

maurice - 2050

Glycereine - 1295

Maquis - 1289

plainglazed - 1215

WombatBreath - 1191

curr3nt - 1046

Quag - 826

fabpig - 686

Vineetrika - 648

Cherry Lane - 532

araver - 521

Izzy - 386

Unreality - 294

dawh - 305

Framm - 199

t8t8t8 - 190

shadow7 - 189

NickFleming- 180

golfjunkie - 170

woon - 141

JDave - 106

Perry the Platypus - 99

JarZe - 96

benjer3 - 96

Q-cumber - 93

Blablah99 - 89

Harvey45 - 77

Abhisk - 64

young scientist - 47

MollyMae - 46

Hirkala - 36

yuiop - 21

PVRoot - 20

Filly - 19

Prince Marth - 15

DudleyDude - 15

phaze - 15

MissKitten - 15

TheCube - 34

Aaryan - 10

sayalzah - 10

Kac_cotu - 5

Edit: Gave myself 14 points.

Edited by JDave

Aaryan - It would be more clear if you said:

LASSO=2 means that ?ASSO=2

CASTS=2 means that ?ASTS=1

Both letters ???SO from LASSO cannot be correct because that would require one of ?AS?? from CASTS to be correct, which would then increase the score on LASSO to 3 which is a contradiction.

The letters ?AS?? staying the same between the two words is indicative that one of them may be scoring, but not sufficient proof in and of itself. The way you stated it I couldn't be clear which you meant.

Yes, but I had a proof AFTER I explained that either A or S was is the right place. Please look at that.