BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Rollo

unreality

I am willing to do one :D

If no one wants to host, I've got a word ready :).

If someone wants to host, please feel free to replace me.

Go for it Perry - got guests today so wont be around much. Someone will show up...

I was curious so this is what I did...

From the wordlist, score each word with the number of words in the list that contained the same letters in that position.

Example: AROMA = 514(A-1) + 666(R-2) + 697(O-3) + 279(M-4) + 394(A-5) = 2550

Then pick the first (in case of tie) with the highest score. SORES = 7856

Run the process in iterations for a word score of 0 to 4. Rescoring words in the list to only other words left in the list.

Stop the iterations once the wordlist was less than or equal to 5 words.

These were the longest:

SORES - 1 | BAALS - 2 | MALTS - 2 | RAIAS - 1 | FELLS - 3 | DILLS - 4 | GILLS - 4 | HILLS - 4 | JILLS - 4 | KILLS - 4 | NILLS - 4 | PILLS - 4 | 

SORES - 1 | BAALS - 1 | LEETS - 0 | PALED - 3 | RATED - 3 | CAWED - 3 | FAZED - 3 | WADED - 3 | GAMED - 3 | MANED - 3 | TAPED - 3 | 
TILLS

VILLS

WILLS

YILLS

ZILLS

One of the longest 0-1 point list
SORES - 0 | CEASE - 0 | BANTY - 0 | AREAL - 0 | MILIA - 0 | ELINT - 0 | TUMOR - 1 | DUOMO - 1 | THORP - 0 | NUDZH - 1 | 
The longest 0 point list
SORES - 0 | CEASE - 0 | BANTY - 0 | AREAL - 0 | MILIA - 0 | ELINT - 0 | TUMOR - 0 | OVOLI - 0 | INURN - 0 | 

On average it would take 7.1 guesses to get to within 5 (average 2.6) words of the correct word.

Was thinking of trying different methods for picking words...Any ideas?

Edited by curr3nt

Lots of logical stuff...

I prefer to try and get inside the QM's head rather than just use statistics, but I guess when curr3nt is QM they are the same thing

:D

Even tho I'm only a fair, amateur, programmer I'm still quite capable of programming a suitable word selection / search algorithm but I'm here for the vocabulary/intellectual challenge. I've deliberately only given myself tools for the grunt filtering of a wordlist to relieve the boring part of the exercise.

I appreciate some words for their shape, structure or history, so things like letter frequency tend to get ignored by me.

Just a look inside a wombat's mind :)

I was curious so this is what I did...

From the wordlist, score each word with the number of words in the list that contained the same letters in that position.

Example: AROMA = 514(A-1) + 666(R-2) + 697(O-3) + 279(M-4) + 394(A-5) = 2550

Then pick the first (in case of tie) with the highest score. SORES = 7856

Run the process in iterations for a word score of 0 to 4. Rescoring words in the list to only other words left in the list.

Stop the iterations once the wordlist was less than or equal to 5 words.

These were the longest:

SORES  - 1 | BAALS - 2 | MALTS - 2 | RAIAS - 1 | FELLS - 3 | DILLS - 4 | GILLS  - 4 | HILLS - 4 | JILLS - 4 | KILLS - 4 | NILLS - 4 | PILLS - 4 | 

SORES - 1 | BAALS - 1 | LEETS - 0 | PALED - 3 | RATED - 3 | CAWED - 3 |  FAZED - 3 | WADED - 3 | GAMED - 3 | MANED - 3 | TAPED - 3 | 
TILLS

VILLS

WILLS

YILLS

ZILLS

One of the longest 0-1 point list
SORES  - 0 | CEASE - 0 | BANTY - 0 | AREAL - 0 | MILIA - 0 | ELINT - 0 | TUMOR  - 1 | DUOMO - 1 | THORP - 0 | NUDZH - 1 | 
The longest 0 point list
SORES - 0 | CEASE - 0 | BANTY - 0 | AREAL - 0 | MILIA - 0 | ELINT - 0 | TUMOR - 0 | OVOLI - 0 | INURN - 0 | 

On average it would take 7.1 guesses to get to within 5 (average 2.6) words of the correct word.

I prefer to try and get inside the QM's head rather than just use statistics, but I guess when curr3nt is QM they are the same thing

:D

Even tho I'm only a fair, amateur, programmer I'm still quite capable of programming a suitable word selection / search algorithm but I'm here for the vocabulary/intellectual challenge. I've deliberately only given myself tools for the grunt filtering of a wordlist to relieve the boring part of the exercise.

I appreciate some words for their shape, structure or history, so things like letter frequency tend to get ignored by me.

Just a look inside a wombat's mind :)

I guess to each their own. I don't have a list per se, not like curr and Maq have. I look up words on a list, not delete them from my list. I take pleasure in proving letters and coming up with words that will do so. Looking at 4 words that have a 0 and trying to mix and match letters to form a word that can only score with one letter...that's fun :D.

Edited by maurice