BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Rollo

unreality

Last letter is T

SPORT and SNORT each have 2 correct letters => 2 correct letters in SORT => we already know O is in the correct position => leaving us with SRT => S cannot be the first letter because SCAPE has 0 => leaving us with RT => in FJORD there are 2 correct letters and we already know they are F and O => so R cannot be in the 4th position => leaving us with T in the 5th position.

The only words that I can think of that start with F and end with T, with O in the middle are FLOAT, FLOUT, FRONT, FROST.

FLOAT and FLOUT cannot be the word since L cannot be in the second position (because SLOPE has 1 for O).

FROST cannot be the word since S cannot be in the fourth position (because CLOSE has 1 for O).

So, it has to be FRONT, unless there is another word that match the criteria F_O_T

alive 0

xysti 0

aloud 1

crown 0

crowd 0

venus 1

group 2

sloop 1

grown 0

gleam 0

layup 2

mixup 5

+ 35 Glycereine

+12 golfjunkie

Unreality - 274

Izzy - 257

t8t8t8 - 163

Framm - 157

Glycereine – 154

Plainglazed - 144

golfjunkie - 72

Dawh - 71

woon - 58

blahblah99 - 28

yuiop - 21

Abhisk - 20

PVRoot - 15

Prince Marth - 15

DudleyDude - 15

sorry to butt in like a dbag here but Glycereine would actually get +30 which is the maximum non-host points that can be gotten per round (unless the host makes some kind of mistake and doles out extra points to make up for it or whatever). +5 per letter and a +5 bonus on the last letter.

Glyc got the original U which is +5, then he got the remaining +25 when he guessed the entire word :)

The only words that I can think of that start with F and end with T, with O in the middle are FLOAT, FLOUT, FRONT, FROST.

FLOAT and FLOUT cannot be the word since L cannot be in the second position (because SLOPE has 1 for O).

FROST cannot be the word since S cannot be in the fourth position (because CLOSE has 1 for O).

So, it has to be FRONT, unless there is another word that match the criteria F_O_T

again with the dbaggery but I don't know if linguistic logic like that is allowed. What's the consensus on that?

I don't think it should be. There could easily be another word that matches the criteria (considering we've opened this to all words including names), and if that logic happens to be right, it doesn't eliminate the possibility of another word that she, the host, and other gamers just happen to be unaware of.

I thought the original host had disallowed proper names. also conditional logic. Definitely agree tho re "the only word left that works" logic is insufficient. fortunately in this case Framm 18 had already guessed the word. come to think of it, is it not a moot point as you can just say what you might think is the last word and get full credit if correct. see how Vineetrika would think you need logical proof to guess the winning word tho as we all did in the very beginning. unreality - you may also want to address some other logic types like last remaining vowel (esp. in cases prior to certain consonant combos), certain consonant combos limitting possibilities, the QU thingie but cant think of how you might know the Q and not the U, or...not...

and welcome Vineetrika - goes without saying I hope, but would not want to discourage anyone in any way at all from joining in here or anywhere else. the more the merrier. maybe just my insecurity but just wanted to say.

last letter is S

faith = 0 means not FAI from FAILS. Either L or S

same argument for FAIRS. Either R or S.

Since L->R changed nothing, it's not the L nor R. Hence the S

another way to look at it is to look at the four combinations:

L from FAILS, R from FAIRS = in same place, not possible

S from FAILS, R from FAIRS = in that case FAIRs would get 2 not 1

L from FAILS, S from FAIRS = in that case FAILS would get 2 not 1

S from both = only possible result