BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Rollo

unreality

Here's how it works, someone thinks of a 5 letter word and I guess begins symbolically by posting "_ _ _ _ _" then people begin guessing 5 letter words. When a word is guessed, the host puts a number next to the word signifying HOW MANY LETTERS WERE IN THE CORRECT POSITION.

You cannot win by just guessing the right word though. You must "logick" the five letters via an explanation of why that letter has to be logically 100% sure that letter. When the letter is "scored" like this, the underscore is replaced with that letter and the person that got the letter gets 5 points.

When the fifth and final letter is "scored", the player that gets that letter gets 10 points instead of the usual 5; and the host gets 1 point per guessed word and 5 points per incorrectly logicked attempt to score a letter.

We'll keep running totals of points or something but that's how it works in a nutshell.

Example: host thinks of SPARK says "_ _ _ _ _"

player 2 guesses "PLANK", host says "PLANK - 2"

player 3 guesses "PLANS", host says "PLANS - 1"

player 4 comes in and says "because the last letter was the only one that changed, and dropped a number when the K was dropped, K is the last letter"

host says "correct: _ _ _ _ K"

player 2 guesses "PLIAR", host says "PLIAR - 0"

player 3 says "the third letter is A because there is one correct letter in PLAN(K) and PLAN(S) if you chop the last letter and PLIAR was 0"

the host says "incorrect logic" because even if the third letter is indeed A, the logic wasn't sound because at this point to the players' knowledge the missing letter could either be the third A or the fourth N

player 4 guesses "TRANK", host says "TRANK - 2"

player 4 guesses "TRACK", host says "TRACK - 2"

player 4 says "the N->C change in the fourth letter (and no other change) changed nothing in the numbers, so the fourth letter is not N. From PLANK and PLANS being 2 and 1 with last letter known to be K, we conclude that either P, L, A or N is in the correct spot, but from player 2's guess of PLIAR getting 0 hits we know that neither the P nor L is correct, hence it must be the A nor N. But I just showed with TRANK and TRACK that N is not correct, therefore the third letter must be A"

host: "correct. _ _ A _ K"

player 4 "awesome!"

host: "that's not 5 letters"

player 2: "QUARK"

host: "QUARK - 3"

player 3: "ooh, QUACK"

host: "QUACK - 2"

player 2: "R->C dropped a hit, fourth letter is R"

host: "correct, _ _ A R K"

~~~

etc and so forth. You don't have to get the five letters in any particular order, but each scored letter is 5 points to the person that scored it except the very last letter to be scored which is worth 10 points.

Already player 4 has two correct logics ( = 10 points), player 2 has a correct score also ( = 5 points) and the host already has 12 points, from seven words guessed (PLANK, PLANS, PLIAR, TRANK, TRACK, QUARK, QUACK) as well as the 5 points from player 3's incorrect logic guess

if you have the hang of it, i'll start it off:

_ _ _ _ _

_ _ _ _ _

M A F I A - 0

S A L V O - 0

C H O K E - 2

B R O K E - 0

nothing, i would just say "<guessed word> - 5" and they gotta jump on it and logic all 5 letters at once haha

The first letter has to be C and the second letter has to be H since the other letters match each other between 'choke - 2' and 'broke - 0'.

The first letter has to be C and the second letter has to be H since the other letters match each other between 'choke - 2' and 'broke - 0'.

CHOSE - must start with CH if CHOKE has 2 and BROKE has 0?

EDIT: deleted previous edit. been a long day...

CHILE

CHORE

firstly, dawh got it before plainglazed so the first 10 points go to dawh :P and the first two letters are indeed CH

C H _ _ _

M A F I A - 0

S A L V O - 0

C H O K E - 2

B R O K E - 0

C H O S E - 2

C H I L E - 2

C H O R E - 2

A and S are the 3rd and 5th letter since there were still 4 correct letters after changing T to P

Edit: NUUUUU!!!!! Darn you Plain!!!

Edited by Prince_Marth85

A and S are the 3rd and 5th letter since there were still 4 correct letters after changing T to P

Edit: NUUUUU!!!!! Darn you Plain!!!

yep haha

C H A _ S

M A F I A - 0

S A L V O - 0

C H O K E - 2

B R O K E - 0

C H O S E - 2

C H I L E - 2

C H O R E - 2

C H E C K - 2

C H A T S - 4