BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

unreality

Question

The richest man in interstellar orbit, the magnate of the solar system, the kingpin of space science, Professor Doctor Sir Martin K. Rombridge, Esquire (also vice president of a small African mining nation) is holding, tonight, in his orbital luxury cruise vessel, a high-society gala of some of the most influential people of the future.

No, he hasn't been murdered... yet. A death threat is almost as serious... and leaves something to be prevented. Things like that happen something like this: A robotic servant glides over, carrying a tray with a single glass of bubbly champagne for the man with the plan Dr Rombridge himself. He lifts the glass and finds a small piece of paper stuck to the condensation on the bottom of the glass. Yes, condensation (the cruise ship has simulated gravity). Rombridge squints his dark brown, wrinkled, whiskery face and slides the limp piece of paper away from its bond with the glass. All he sees is blurry black ooze where letters should be. He flips down some glasses, squints some more. Maybe - is that an 'a'? Followed by a 't'? Yes, the first word is 'At'. Rombridge is onto something. He beckons over a servant, a human servant, to read the slightly diffused letters.

"At the strike of midnight, Professor Doctor Sir Martin K. Rombridge, Esquire, Honorary Vice President of Mgubalkwala, shall be dead as a consequence of", begins the servant, then after a moment of silence frowns, as if trying to make out even hazier letters. "The rest is unreadable sir." The servant crumbles it in his hand.

"Oh God," breathes Rombridge. "We have a Class B security breach. Lock up the guests in the ballroom - no one gets in or out. And lock me in my panic room. And contact the Earth-Moon Orbital Detective Agency."

"Yes, sir" intone several nearby robots.

"What time is it young man?" Rombridge barks.

The servant looks at his watch. "I'm afraid it's 7 o'clock, sir. The party started just an hour ago."

"And it ends at midnight," Rombridge frowns.

~~~

A wealth-n-stealth franchise detective vehicle parks itself smoothly in the docking bay.

"I'm sorry," quips a dockhand. "We have a Class B security breach currently underway. Unless you're -"

"The detectives from EMODA," said the first detective, emerging from the vehicle holding a badge. The other one got out too, hands on his or her hips, staring at the dockhand.

"Suit yourselves. Last ship that goes in or out." The dockhand locks the doors, puts a release timer for midnight, and follows the two detectives into the rest of the building.

They are met almost immediately by the human servant.

"Thank you for coming!" he says. "The guests are all in the ballroom."

"Tell us what happened then get in there yourself," said the first detective. "We'll need to interview everybody. Rombridge is an extremely high-paying customer of ours."

~~~

~~~

Host: Unreality

1)

2)

etc...

The more the merrier. Sign-ups will cease in a couple days. Sign up if you want to play and get real into it because I will be sending each person a character/personality/etc. This personage will be known to everyone; however, each person will also have a secret or two about themselves that only they know. Also, two people will need to be Detectives. If you're a detective, you're in charge of asking people questions and figuring out who is the intended murderer(s). But everyone wants the huge cash reward that Rombridge would pay them, not to mention the fame, if they found the perpetrators.

The two detectives are in an alliance and work as a team, but everyone else is on their own in the beginning; you can, however, form an alliance and put multiple minds together, comparing what you know/suspect/etc. The first alliance (or individual) to solve the premeditated murder wins the game.

The detectives cannot break their alliance, cannot add new people onto their alliance, and cannot join other alliances. However everyone else is free to form and break alliances and even be part of multiple alliances. When PMing each other with game-related stuff, please include me in the conversation, as a host I won't be doing much, just posting updates every hour (not real-life hour but rather 8pm, 9pm, 10pm, 11pm and MIDNIGHT in the game) so if I could see what's going on behind the scenes that would really help. There's no need to officially declare an alliance in the public thread (you can if you want) but please send me a PM with the official alliance roster when you do so I can keep track.

The idea is to always talk in character in the thread (and even PMs) and the thread acts as sort of the background chatter, people talking to other people and accusing other people. The detectives also ask their questions and receive answers on the public thread.

Anyway all that shenanigans only begins when the game actually begins, which is after I see how many people have signed up so that I can make roles.

~~~

~~~

Host: Unreality

1)

2)

etc...

• Answers 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Cap'n Fleur: Howdy y'all. I wish to apologize for having to put this ship on lock down, but you see someone here is up to some mischief, and it is my duty as Cap'n to find that said person and fix up the problem. Now on to some business of my own. So Chief Mlaku what is your business is on this here ship of mine?

OOC: I have a feeling that my character is going to take up a texas type drawl. So I apologize in advance.

Edited by Framm 18

[Reno Starkey] (Dockhand)

Don't know about y'all, but I ain't no rich guy, I ain't no artiste - I ain't any of them fancy things. I work 60 hours a week, I have a wife and kids who rely on my paycheck and there ain't gonna be no food on their table if I can't get home. Hell I'm up here longer than a dry season in the desert as it is, I'd wanna be gettin' home even if there was no Mrs. Starkey and no little Starkeys. So to me all this funny business is just in the way of that, and I wan' it cleared up as soon as it can be. I can help, so if anyone be interested in what some people be callin' "alliances" - I just be callin' it gettin' off this damn ship - then come talk to me.

Detective (Big) Lebowski: Whoa, everyone needs to just chill out a bit. And try not to upset my partner, he'll step on your buzz in a hurry if you make him mad. Human Servant - maybe you could fetch me something to drink. I'll have whatever the old lady's drinking, she seems to like it. And when you get my drink, I've got a question for you. Who all has access to this panic room? If the good doctor needs some food or drink or other relaxing sustenance, who's going to bring it to him? And speaking of relaxing, what are the rules for smoking on the ship??

Maw Mivvelton

Hey dudes. You guys wanna get together and collaborate? There's an art exhibition I really need to be at on the other side of the galaxy tomorrow. You know, when you're famous, your fans expect you to be there and woo them. Anyway, this art show will be cornerstone of eternalizing my career in the entire universe. They will make tye-dyed stars explode into supernovas, taking the shape of my psychedelic artwork. It's going to be seriously b*tchin' bro. Free tickets and a Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster to all that help me get the hell out of here.

Meanwhile, Imma toke up and paint. Yo Detective, you want some of the good stuff? ;)

Edited by Izzy

Cheif Mlaku

Cap'n Fleur: So Chief Mlaku what is your business is on this here ship of mine?

Rich people here. Me rich, Mister Rombridge rich, everyone rich. Rich people work hard and now we party.

But that person, Al, ...gah! He scare me. :unsure:

[Reno Starkey] (Dockhand)

Don't know about y'all, but I ain't no rich guy, I ain't no artiste - I ain't any of them fancy things. I work 60 hours a week, I have a wife and kids who rely on my paycheck and there ain't gonna be no food on their table if I can't get home. Hell I'm up here longer than a dry season in the desert as it is, I'd wanna be gettin' home even if there was no Mrs. Starkey and no little Starkeys. So to me all this funny business is just in the way of that, and I wan' it cleared up as soon as it can be. I can help, so if anyone be interested in what some people be callin' "alliances" - I just be callin' it gettin' off this damn ship - then come talk to me.

Maw Mivvelton

Hey dudes. You guys wanna get together and collaborate? There's an art exhibition I really need to be at on the other side of the galaxy tomorrow. You know, when you're famous, your fans expect you to be there and woo them. Anyway, this art show will be cornerstone of eternalizing my career in the entire universe. They will make tye-dyed stars explode into supernovas, taking the shape of my psychedelic artwork. It's going to be seriously b*tchin' bro. Free tickets and a Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster to all that help me get the hell out of here.

Meanwhile, Imma toke up and paint. Yo Detective, you want some of the good stuff? ;)

Mr. McCudgeon: This an inexcusable waste of my time. Was there even an actual threat?

Cap'n Fleur: Now now folks, I understand y'alls frustration, but there has indeed been an threat and it must be cleared up before we are able to continue. I am also not able to continue on with what I am able to do because of this blasted threat.

Cheif Mlaku

Rich people here. Me rich, Mister Rombridge rich, everyone rich. Rich people work hard and now we party.

But that person, Al, ...gah! He scare me. :unsure:

Sir, that is not what I meant when I said what is your business on my ship. :angry::dry: Can you please give me somethang a bit more specific? I am keeping an eye on you sir.

Hex4dash9:

OH DEAR, THERE'S SEEMS TO BE SOME DISTRESS AMONG THE MEMBERS OF THE PARTY. I DO HOPE THAT I AM NOT THE CAUSE OF SUCH DISTURBANCE. THAT WOULD BE INTOLERABLE.

MASTER ROMBRIDGE SEEMS TO BE IN SOME DIFFICULTY. I DO HOPE THAT IT WASN'T SOMETHING I SAID. I'M NORMALLY AT HIS SIDE AT ALMOST ALL TIMES.

I WOULD LIKE TO GET BACK TO MY MASTER. HE MIGHT NEED ME FOR SOMETHING. I DO HOPE THAT I CAN GET BACK TO MY MASTER SOON.

Mrs McCudgeon: Hey everybody...and I know you want some of this drink...but you can't have it! It's mine! Just kidding, I got plenty! I don't come to these shin-digs to get drunk. I can get wasted BEFOREHAND!

Hey Mr. Dude man, chill out and have some drinky-drink. Maybe Mlaku can have some as well ;)

Detective Lebowski: Hi there little robot dude (Hex4dash9), how's it going. I've been waiting on my drink, I guess the human servant isn't so attentive. Could you hook me up with a Red Stripe or something? Also, while we're talking about delivering drinks, were you the one that brought Master Rombridge his drink with the threat?

the dude-Alright people, where is the panick room, what's in it, and who has access to it? :angry: (glares at everyone)

The Panic room is toward the back of the ships, off-limits to the public. Only the Basics are in the Panic room, Enough food to last a couple of weeks and only a select few of the most important of our patrons have access too it.

Edited by Framm 18

The Panic room is toward the back of the ships, off-limits to the public. Only the Basics are in the Panic room, Enough food to last a couple of weeks and only a select few of the most important of our patrons have access too it.

Detective Lebowski: Patron!! Good idea, maybe some margaritas would help lighten the mood. And I think Det. Dude and I will be needing a list of the people with access to the panic room.