BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Straightlaced

tiger_lily111

Question

Radar?

it's used to guide vessels&planes at night or when visibility is low in bad weather; & you can hear it. if radar is used metaphorically, you can say it's sparked many a career, as in "put on the radar".

Don't know about the "old town" ref or a New Yorker it was named after, though.

At the risk of sounding silly, I really can't recall when it was put to us, forgive my ignorance, but here goes:

Edited by mojobrain

Radar?

it's used to guide vessels&planes at night or when visibility is low in bad weather; & you can hear it. if radar is used metaphorically, you can say it's sparked many a career, as in "put on the radar".

Don't know about the "old town" ref or a New Yorker it was named after, though.

At the risk of sounding silly, I really can't recall when it was put to us, forgive my ignorance, but here goes:

I couldn't tell you how long that's been around either, but sorry, not it.

I thought this at first, but didn't answer it... but just in case: is it The Apollo Theater? Older than fifty, but sure has sparked a lot of careers... and it's at least in NYC...

I thought this at first, but didn't answer it... but just in case: is it The Apollo Theater? Older than fifty, but sure has sparked a lot of careers... and it's at least in NYC...

A very good thought, but not that either.

You & PG have been closer than the other guesses so far, but still off base.

maybe Buddy Holly? think the time frame is about right with his death. band was the Crickets which you might hear at night and he was certainly influential to rock n roll. if I'm close, the title maybe refers to the Big Bopper's "Chantilly Lace"? who died along with Buddy Holly and Richie Valens in that infamous plane crash Don McLean wrote "American Pie" about and is now pretty much called "the day the music died" so let's throw that in as a guess as well. yeah, and the Big Bopper too...

maybe Buddy Holly? think the time frame is about right with his death. band was the Crickets which you might hear at night and he was certainly influential to rock n roll. if I'm close, the title maybe refers to the Big Bopper's "Chantilly Lace"? who died along with Buddy Holly and Richie Valens in that infamous plane crash Don McLean wrote "American Pie" about and is now pretty much called "the day the music died" so let's throw that in as a guess as well. yeah, and the Big Bopper too...

Interesting thoughts, but not where I'm going with this one.

Edit for: & I now have that running through my head ...

Edited by tiger_lily111