BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

peace*out

Question

If the question was, "How do you change 7 to 12 without touching it?", then one answer would be, Roman numeral VII (7), if you place a mirror so that it sits underneath it, then the original plus reflection along the X-axis would give XII (12).

That's ONE workaround...

Thoughts, anyone?

Base 6 won't work technically

There are only 6 numeric symbols in base 6

0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

To someone who only understands base 6, the character 8 is nonsense.

You cannot simply reinterpret it as base 6: 12, to do so would require arithmetic operations, which are not allowed.

I would agree that 12 could be reinterpreted as eight, because you can get the number only by modifying your interpretation from decimal to base 6 --no change in symbolic representation--, but if you interpret the character 8 in base 6, you will get nonsense without more arithmetic operations.

About the official answer, isn't conversion to roman numerals also performing an action on 8?

Why is that allowed?

this is a matchstick puzzle

arrange fig 8 with seven matchsticks

remove two matchsticks

one from top left and

second from bottom right

to form fig 2

place these removed two matchsticks to

form fig 1

so 8 becomes 12 by rearranging the matchsticks

peace

jj

Base 6 won't work technically

There are only 6 numeric symbols in base 6

0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

To someone who only understands base 6, the character 8 is nonsense.

You cannot simply reinterpret it as base 6: 12, to do so would require arithmetic operations, which are not allowed.

I would agree that 12 could be reinterpreted as eight, because you can get the number only by modifying your interpretation from decimal to base 6 --no change in symbolic representation--, but if you interpret the character 8 in base 6, you will get nonsense without more arithmetic operations.

About the official answer, isn't conversion to roman numerals also performing an action on 8?

Why is that allowed?

acually. the number "8" is "12" in base 6. I'm not talking about wrighting 8, I'm saying you have the number "8" in front of you. I could have said you have the number "VIII" In front of you. It's the same number - "eight." Maybe I'll just write "eight" next time, but nonetheless, isn't it the same number?

and the answer to your question: you have it infront of you! you just get up and walk around it...no action to it, but an action to you...

this is a matchstick puzzle

arrange fig 8 with seven matchsticks

remove two matchsticks

one from top left and

second from bottom right

to form fig 2

place these removed two matchsticks to

form fig 1

so 8 becomes 12 by rearranging the matchsticks

peace

jj

that could work, but the point is not to touch the number. by touching and even movieg around the matchsticks, the number is edited phyically.

Why is that allowed?

There is no conversion. The number began as a roman numeral. Perhaps the puzzle would have been clearer if it stated "you have the *value* 8 in front of you".