BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

This puzzle is one of my favorites from one of Martin Gardner's books.

The object is to figure out how white can checkmate the opponent in four moves. It is white's move now.

post-27517-12755111605209.png

12 answers to this question

If you assume that the chess pieces got themselves into the current position, all the pawns are stuck... (queen is not on own colour)

This puzzle is one of my favorites from one of Martin Gardner's books.

The object is to figure out how white can checkmate the opponent in four moves. It is white's move now.

post-27517-12755111605209.png

[spoiler=I've got a headache but also a possible solution :o)]

Oooooh - this is fun!

I initially thought that it was impossible - the only way that the Black queen can be on a White square is if some of the pawns had moved to make way for her, but they don't appear to have (ie they can't step backwards once they've moved forwards). So, the only conclusion I could come to is that they have actually ALL moved - all the Black pieces have come from the other side of the board. Strange as this seems and I'm not even sure whether this has ever been done (and certainly doubt that they would all be in that position with all White pawns slain). However, if you assume it is ok and rotate the board 180 degrees, it makes it slightly easier to follow the next bit, although my head is still hurting as a result!

As White, I think the best /quickest way (I am sure there are others) to get checkmate is with the G-1 knight (which of course isn't really G-1 as the board is upside down but you get the idea.

First move in front of your king to 'E-2'

Then take him to 'F-4'.

Then finally to 'E-6' where the hemmed in Black king has to put his hands up.

Because of the pawn-barrier, the only threat from Black can be their knight(s) and they can be dealt with by the White queen, rook or bishop (this accounts for the second or third White move) while the G-1 White knight does his stuff.

Is this the answer? Or did I get a headache for nothing?!

Can someone check my possible solution? I'm keen to know if this is right so I can rest my head :rolleyes:

I would have to say that your response is the only idea behind a possible solution; well done! Unfortunately I made a certain assumption at the start, which lead me down the "impossibility" path, to which I can safely say I would not of returned from.

Such a great puzzle! I wish I could of solved it myself.

[spoiler=I've got a headache but also a possible solution ohmy.gif)]

Oooooh - this is fun!

I initially thought that it was impossible - the only way that the Black queen can be on a White square is if some of the pawns had moved to make way for her, but they don't appear to have (ie they can't step backwards once they've moved forwards). So, the only conclusion I could come to is that they have actually ALL moved - all the Black pieces have come from the other side of the board. Strange as this seems and I'm not even sure whether this has ever been done (and certainly doubt that they would all be in that position with all White pawns slain). However, if you assume it is ok and rotate the board 180 degrees, it makes it slightly easier to follow the next bit, although my head is still hurting as a result!

As White, I think the best /quickest way (I am sure there are others) to get checkmate is with the G-1 knight (which of course isn't really G-1 as the board is upside down but you get the idea.

First move in front of your king to 'E-2'

Then take him to 'F-4'.

Then finally to 'E-6' where the hemmed in Black king has to put his hands up.

Because of the pawn-barrier, the only threat from Black can be their knight(s) and they can be dealt with by the White queen, rook or bishop (this accounts for the second or third White move) while the G-1 White knight does his stuff.

Is this the answer? Or did I get a headache for nothing?!

Great Job!

Here is the answer quoted from the back of the book:

The key to Lord Dunsany's chess problem is the fact that the black queen is not on a black square as she must be at the start of a game. This means that the black king and queen have moved, and this could have happened only if some black pawns have moved. Pawns cannot move backward, so we are forced to conclude that the black pawns reached their present positions from the other side of the board! With this in mind, it is easy to discover that the white knight on the right has an easy mate in four moves.

White's first move is to jump his knight at the lower right corner of the board to the square just above his king. If black moves the upper left knight to the rook's file, white mates in two more moves. Black can, however, delay the mate one move by first moving his knight to the bishop's file instead of the rook's. White jumps his knight forward and right to the bishop's file, threatening mate on the next move. Black moves his knight forward to block the mate. White takes the knight with his queen, then mated with his knight on the fourth move.