BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

MASTERMIND

This is a game I decided to make. It involves a situation where nine characters solve twelve puzzles created by an evil mastermind. This is a story about puzzles.

Rules: On Monday May 31, Puzzle one will be posted. This is a physical puzzle, and to solve it, you must control characters. If you suggest a command, I will choose the character that will make it the most interesting. The failure of a puzzle generally means that a character will die. The Monday after a puzzle is solved, the next puzzle will be posted, along with a piece of the story. When all twelve puzzles have been completed, the game ends.

These are the types of puzzles:

Timed: These puzzles must be completed within a certain time limit. Each post represents one minute. Usually, there is life threatening danger to one character and the others must save him/her.

Multi-layered: The puzzles are actually multiple puzzles stacked on one another. When one is solved, the next is revealed.

Evolving: The longer this puzzle takes, the more difficult it becomes. These can turn into other types of puzzles.

Characters:

Elena Lee

Occupation – Teacher

Reason – Unknown right now

Special – Adapts to situations quickly. Good at reading emotions.

Eduardo Riventine

Occupation – Athlete (Runner. Good at sprints)

Reason – Five time champion of the New York Marathon

Special – Overconfident. Does not make friends easily.

Richard Phillips

Occupation – College Professor (Teaches physics)

Reason – Considered one of the greatest minds since Einstein

Special – Believes every problem has a logical solution

Frederic Lane

Occupation – Surgeon

Reason – A skilled doctor

Special – Can help injured group members.

Olivia Tybalt

Occupation – Mountain climber.

Reason – Said she was ready for a challenge. Monitored.

Special – Strong arms.

Albert Coburn

Occupation – Olympic champion. Now retired.

Reason – Gave Mastermind a good run last time.

Special – Has been in this situation before.

Josh Little

Occupation – Author

Reason – Mastermind enjoys his books

Special – Expects the unexpected.

Ryan Sulner

Occupation – Detective. Now retired.

Reason – Formerly with the police

Special - Very observant. Never forgets a detail.

Lisa Brown

Occupation – Actress

Reason – Almost always plays a villain in her movies.

Special – Good at memorization.

Intro:

Nine characters are dumped into a dark room. The begin to discuss their situation. Before any of them can say a word, however, a voice says “On Monday the games begin.” Albert Coburn groans. Dr. Lane seems a bit interested. Lisa Brown starts to panic, and Elena tries to talk.

From now until Monday afternoon, your job is to ask questions. Get to know the characters.

• Answers 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

No one joined of their own free will. Reason means why the Mastermind chose them to be there.

Elena Lee: 43 years old. Healthy build for her age. Not very strong, but not weak.

Eduardo Riventine: 32 years old. Tall and thin. Strong legs, but not so strong arms.

Richard Phillips: 59 years old. Heavy. Not overweight but close to it. Not very strong.

Frederic Lane: 44 years old. Average build and strength.

Olivia Tybalt: 39 years old. A bit below average height.

Albert Coburn: 77 years old. Very fit for his age. Tall.

Josh Little: 64 years old. His name does him justice. 4 feet 9 inches.

Ryan Sulner: 67 years old. Very intimidating figure. Note:Only has one eye.

Lisa Brown: 38 years old. Very tall and skinny.

I hope this answers your questions.

No one joined of their own free will. Reason means why the Mastermind chose them to be there.

Elena Lee: 43 years old. Healthy build for her age. Not very strong, but not weak.

Eduardo Riventine: 32 years old. Tall and thin. Strong legs, but not so strong arms.

Richard Phillips: 59 years old. Heavy. Not overweight but close to it. Not very strong.

Frederic Lane: 44 years old. Average build and strength.

Olivia Tybalt: 39 years old. A bit below average height.

Albert Coburn: 77 years old. Very fit for his age. Tall.

Josh Little: 64 years old. His name does him justice. 4 feet 9 inches.

Ryan Sulner: 67 years old. Very intimidating figure. Note:Only has one eye.

Lisa Brown: 38 years old. Very tall and skinny.

I hope this answers your questions.

Does anyone have a flashlight or cellphone or something to produce light? If so, have them turn it on to explore the room

Elena was trying to start a conversation, but everyone was panicking and no one paid attention. As it so happens, Olivia has a small pocket flashlight. It doesn't do much, but that, along with Albert's watch (which has a small LED light attached,) everyone can see each other. The room is completely bare except for a trapdoor on top through which they entered.

Well, Elena is reasonably good at reading emotions. For the most part, they look scared. Albert isn't showing anything and Josh just looks angry. Elena herself is frightened.

well it seems i'm the only one asking the ques...

anyways.. wat else

did anyone say anything???

oh and maybe.. what r they carrying in their pockets??? (accesories and stuff)

For the most part, there pockets are empty. Elena has a couple of pens, Olivia has the afore mentioned flashlight, Josh has a notebook and Richard has assorted office supplies including two pencils, paperclips, a thumb drive, and chap stick.

Albert Sighs. "I thought I was safe." He says. "The Mastermind is a ruthless criminal. He picks out candidates and forces them to compete in his deathly game. Last time, seven people died. Everyone is here for a reason. Mine is obvious. I suspect Richard, that you were chosen because you are a famous scientist. I'm unsure about anyone else."

Okay. Puzzle one.

PUZZLE 1:

The nine characters step into a large room. The light is too bright to see anything clearly. A voice says

“This is one of my favorite puzzles. I find that a larger group provides a more interesting situation. Don't stress yourselves.”

Upon closer inspection, the floor is revealed to be made up of hexagonal tiles. There are several pillars in the middle of the room. Some of the tiles have letters on them. Josh realizes that there must be some code hidden in the letters. Albert is skeptical. The voice starts again.

“I almost forgot to mention. The goal of this puzzle is to get behind that door on the other side of the room. But remember. If you step on the wrong tiles, a section of the ceiling falls on you. At the same time, a frame builds around you, thus trapping you. The body is then dumped into a pool of acid right underneath your feet. It is a most unpleasant death.”

Puzzle type: Multi-Layered:

You can only see three rows in front of you.

/ \_/ \_/ \_/ \_/ \

\O/ \U/ \O/ \N/ \_/

/ \E/ \R/ \T/ \I/ \

\N/ \ / \T/ \C/ \_/

Blank tiles are representing pillars. You might want to analyze the situation a bit. Or you could just run across.