BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

The Elder Twin

rookie1ja

well if terry and kerrys b-day was on a weekend terry might have been gone from saturday to monday. kerry could have celebrated her b-day the weekend that terry was gone. then when terry got back he celebrated his b-day that day. Besides, it never said that he celebrated his birthday on the DaY Of HIS BIRTH!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe Kerry was born in 28th of February right before midnight of 1st March and Terry right after the same midnight on 1st of March and this year we are talking about there is a 29th of February,so there is a day between their birthdays every 4 years

If we are talking about historical evidence of something like this happening: there is.

There was a woman that lived in the 50's or so that was born with 2 uteruses, so therefore so could hold two babies with one "time" she and her husband wanted to concevie, so when the babies are developing differently they could be born up to a month apart (like when the due dates are messed up and one is early and one is late?)

Seems like little Kerry celebrates her two days before her older twin sibling does. Kerry may or may not be a twin. Terry definitely is a twin. Terry is older than Kerry. Kerry is not Terry's twin. Terry was born ,at minimum, in the prior year. Kerry and Terry's parents need help naming their children. Thanks For Your Fun Gadget This better be a safe site

How about this alternative solution.

A woman going into labor can take quite some time (e.g. 24-36 hours). So suppose she goes into labor and gives birth to the first twin at 11:59pm. She then remains in labor for over 24 hours before the second twin comes out. Technically these twins would have been born 2 days apart.

• 2 weeks later...

I have another riddle to go with that.

Terry celebrated her birthday 4 day's before her twin, Kerry. How is this possible?

Their mom was in labor at 11:59 on a boat and had Terry at that time.Then it was 12:00 so they had already gone one day more. they then crossed the international date line (I hope you are keeping up) and to shake it more up it was February 28 and their mom was in labor for 24 more hours so it was March 3 when Kerry was born. Then on leap years there is February 29 so that is 4 days.

• 1 month later...

Though quickly after guessing I found out I was wrong because I wasn't paying attention to dates, but I was thinking that the mother had a hell of a time with the labor. :lol:

My second guess was that her older twin brother was older than her, but was actually twins with another brother or sister. I'd have to put a little more thought into it to see if it could fit, but I think the only problem in that would be the debate over whether or not the phrase "older twin brother" could mean that she was actually twins with him, or if he was older than her, but twins with another kid. Anyone have any input?

By the way, awesome riddle. xD I wonder if anyone truthfully guessed this one correctly.

• 4 weeks later...

OMG people, this is soooo easy!!!

Kerry was born on the night of the 28th of Feb that was not in a leap year very close to midnight... Terry came out after midnight, on the 1st of March... On this particular day, it was during a Leap year, which would seperate they're birthdays by an extra day! Adding the 29th of Febuary.

OK, wait... I just caught on now... How can the older brother celebrate his birthday two days AFTER, instead of before?

Edited by pitbull200

he was born first two days before- or they celabrated there birthdays on different days because they did that when they were youner- or he is her brother who is a twin to the other twin who is not her.

I know it's a year late, but here's my take:

Kerry is born at 11:50, February 28th. Terry is born at 12:10, March 1st.

The year in question is a leap year. Therefore, Kerry celebrates his birthday on February 28th, and 2 days later, Terry celebrates on the 1st of March.

Edited by Philly

I know it's a year late, but here's my take:

Kerry is born at 11:50, February 28th. Terry is born at 12:10, March 1st.

The year in question is a leap year. Therefore, Kerry celebrates his birthday on February 28th, and 2 days later, Terry celebrates on the 1st of March.

How is Terry the older twin than? Read the question again.

One day Kerry celebrated her birthday. Two days later her older twin brother, Terry, celebrated his birthday. How come?

This puzzle was submitted to Games Magazine's 'How Come' competition in 1992 by Judy Dean. It won.

So I'm not too smart, and before looking at the Spoiler, here's the first thought - but not the last - that crossed my mind:

Kerry was delivered at 11:59pm on February 28th of a non-leap year, and Terry was delivered at 12:01am on March 1st.

The next year - on there 1st birthday, is a leap year.

Kerry celebrates her birthday on February 28th, and 2 days later Terry celebrates his bithday on March 1st.

Does that work for a dumb guy like me?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I've read a lot answers and I just thought of a unique one (I hope). Who said it was his actual birthday. I remember celebrating my birthday a couple of months after my real birthday. i don't think it counts, but it is original

• 4 weeks later...
The Elder Twin - Back to the River Crossing Puzzles

One day Kerry celebrated her birthday. Two days later her older twin brother, Terry, celebrated his birthday. How come?

This puzzle was submitted to Games Magazine's 'How Come' competition in 1992 by Judy Dean. It won.

The Elder Twin - solution

At the time she went into labor, the mother of the twins was travelling by boat. The older twin, Terry, was born first early on March 1st. The boat then crossed the International Date line (or any time zone line) and Kerry, the younger twin, was born on February the 28th. In a leap year the younger twin celebrates her birthday two days before her older brother.

OR

Kerry was born just before midnight on 28th Febuary of a non leap year and her brother was born on 1st of March. This year is a leap year so his birthday is 2 days later

He he he...

I thought of a different answer. This question doesn't say that Kerry is the other twin of Terry. So Terry might be having another twin younger brother(not Kerry). So only Terry and his younger brother are twins. So it is posible for Kerry to celebrate her birthday two days later her older twin brother, Terry. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Actually there is yet another possible answer. It could be the case that Kerry has a set of older twin siblings and the question only refers to one of them, Terry while the other (Jerry?) is not mentioned for the sake of ambiguity.

They werent all born at once. there are 2 sets in what u replied to

• 4 months later...

anybody think of this?

they didnt want to celebrate together...so the older twin decided to celebrate his 2 days later

they didnt say his actual birthday was two days later..just the celebration

• 2 months later...

I would like to point out three things:

1 - The Mother would have to cross the International Date Line from west to east, that is from Japan direction California.

2 - The fisrt birth does NOT have to be early, even 2200hrs would be OK, as then the second birth would be at 2300hrs on Feb. 28.

3 - Crossing ANY time line does NOT do the trick.

I would like to point out three things:

1 - The Mother would have to cross the International Date Line from west to east, that is from Japan direction California.

2 - The fisrt birth does NOT have to be early, even 2200hrs would be OK, as then the second birth would be at 2300hrs on Feb. 28.

3 - Crossing ANY time line does NOT do the trick.

I would like to add to my comments: I just realized that there are two ways of 'going back in time'. One way is as my comments above. The other way is indeed to cross ANY time line, but then in the direction east to west. And then it does have to be EARLY. First birth 0005 hrs March 1st, cross time line east to west, second birth 2310 hrs Feb 28.

Thus there are two mutually exclusive ways to fulfill the conditions of this excellent poser!