3 1 = £ - = _ 7 ] p < [ )

£ ( : > § - + } [ / ^ - p

1 _ I _ 1 v # { ' 2 { § .

] + = 3 | & + | ` 1 ? ] -

I } 7 1 ) ^ I 2 ( : 3 = T

[ { ` 2 ( / = ' I - Z ( )

( - ( [ ) 5 ( ] = : | ) ]

) | z ] L 1 ) [ ( } ` | [

This grid of 13 x 13 represents latitude and longitude coordinates of a Geocache in the form 54 XX.XXX 5 XX.XXX i.e degrees followed by minutes and decimals of a minute to three places - 13 digits in all. We know that the latitude (the first part) starts with 54 and we know the longitude starts with 5. The cache name is Obfuscate.

I initially thought that this is probably a simple extract the numbers and ignore the rest as the first two columns add to 5 and 4 which is what was expected. But the third column adds to 7 and should only be a max of 5 (Minutes). Then I thought ROT47 translation as there are all those brackets etc but no go.

Any thoughts about how to solve?

Initiall

11 answers to this question

It's in Ireland!

- ] } | % M ' ) ] [ ? ~ 1

1 [ ] p ( [ j L [ - + 4 #

? ) √ > n z £ | ] < ? - &

. ( & l ) z : | = \ ! | {

- 3 ( J [ | ( 2 ' > $ - (

3 1 = £ - = _ 7 ] p < [ )

£ ( : > § - + } [ / ^ - p

1 _ I _ 1 v # { ' 2 { § .

] + = 3 | & + | ` 1 ? ] -

I } 7 1 ) ^ I 2 ( : 3 = T

[ { ` 2 ( / = ' I - Z ( )

( - ( [ ) 5 ( ] = : | ) ]

) | z ] L 1 ) [ ( } ` | [

This grid of 13 x 13 represents latitude and longitude coordinates of a Geocache in the form 54 XX.XXX 5 XX.XXX i.e degrees followed by minutes and decimals of a minute to three places - 13 digits in all. We know that the latitude (the first part) starts with 54 and we know the longitude starts with 5. The cache name is Obfuscate.

I initially thought that this is probably a simple extract the numbers and ignore the rest as the first two columns add to 5 and 4 which is what was expected. But the third column adds to 7 and should only be a max of 5 (Minutes). Then I thought ROT47 translation as there are all those brackets etc but no go.

Any thoughts about how to solve?

Initiall

Try converting each character to a number using ASCII. You will need the extended ASCII set:

http://www.cdrummond.qc.ca/cegep/informat/Professeurs/Alain/files/ascii.htm

After that, try summing each column or each row and see if there is any sense in the answers.

BasicPoke

What is the code for § ? I don't see it in your extended ASCII set.

What is the code for § ? I don't see it in your extended ASCII set.

I'm not sure if that table above is wrong or what but the symbol in question appears here as 167:

http://www.idevelopment.info/data/Programming/ascii_table/PROGRAMMING_ascii_table.shtml

The Windows character map may help as well:

start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Character Map

but they don't make it real easy to get the ASCII code. Click Advanced view, then choose character set "DOS: United States". When click on a char it will give you some info, but sometimes in hexadecimal, and sometimes gives you several #'s. It appears that when it shows at the lower right "Keystroke: Alt+..." that this is the ASCII code. Otherwise it should be one of the hexadecimal #'s show at the lower right. Not sure why it sometimes shows two different #'s there.

Good luck

BasicPoke

Well a geocacher in Tulsa Oklahoma USA figured it out. I don't think it's quite right for me to just tell you the answer, being a hider of puzzle caches myself. I'll give you this:

You can use one of the applications produced by Microsoft to clearly show you the answer.

BasicPoke

That really doesn't narrow it down for me as Microsoft produce thousands of products. I have no programming skiills whatsoever but suspect this may be involved. Any further hints?

That really doesn't narrow it down for me as Microsoft produce thousands of products. I have no programming skiills whatsoever but suspect this may be involved. Any further hints?

Maybe you should explore one of those apps. Notice that the characters in the table are different colors.

I am a Microsoft reseller - mainly sell the office range of applications. Currently I have over 7,000 Microsoft applications which I could sell. Now where do I start?

colours? Ah penny dropping - got to go . . . . . . .