BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

WRITE YOUR OWN LAWS

I think it’s possible that we can resolve the whole peace issue by simply writing our own CODE. One that we and others can live by. If you have any suggestions as to what would be useful in a unilateral agreement reply to this post and maybe we can cut the world leaders a little slack and even make them redundant.

Lets formulate our own civilised code here, Then send it out to all the governments etc to dare to act.

I’ll pay the postage

• Answers 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

So basically, nobody has mentioned cloning as a solution, and as the solution is for us all to have the same outlook ,

then cloning is the only way forward.

Hmmmm........Now which person will do the cloning, and why that person(s), and which clone will wash the dishes afterwards ?

I think you have a point there LIS. Leaders are a BIG problem, though I can't see a lot of distinction from one country to another, they all look like scumbags to me. Seems to me the problem is that leaders are always people who desire and seek power; exactly the kind of people you don't need at the helm. Democracy doesn't help much though it tends to stop the problem escalating too much.

Maybe we need new ways of picking leaders. A very knotty problem. An ideal system would probably be based on aptitude, regardless of desire to rule. But that's not going to get implemented overnight.

A good idea though ;D

Next for the chop has to be religion. This is the cause of most war and hatred in this world, and provides a ready excuse for leaders to do whatever they fancy ("God told me to do it!" - Bush & Blair) which supercedes rationality, morality, due process, or any other considerations. But that's not what's got me going today. Oh no. Look no further than this topic! Bociniki thinks all human beings are inherently evil. Even Duh Puck supports this. Come on, guys! Don't you realise that this stuff is just there to make you believe you need religion? You want to be good people and you think you need religion to help you do it. Remember, YOU want to be good people. What does that tell you about people?

The problem with this sort of viewpoint is, not only does it serve to perpetuate religion, but it also creates a really negative view of humanity. Even worse, you think that nobody can change anything for the better and we just need to sit and wait for God to sort it all out. It aint gonna happen, guys. If we (humankind, that is) don't sort out our problems nobody's going to do it for us. We need to stop abdicating responsibility, it gets us nowhere.

hear hear!

So what to do? Well, I support a total separation of church and state (which includes schools). I respect people's right to believe whatever they want, but draw the line at my taxes being used to fund organisations who propagate superstitious nonsense.

hear hear!

It's time we started treating religion with the respect it deserves (not a lot).

basically I agree with what you said :P

It's not quite as simple as people being good or evil. That's just in films. Even leaders are not evil people, they are just people who get off on power. They end up in positions of power because they are the ones who want it most. "Evil" is not a concept I believe in. Sometimes people do stupid things, selfish things, misguided things, and so on. Is that evil? There are all sorts of people in the world who do all sorts of things for all sorts of reasons. True enough, some people are bitter, jealous, intolerant, inconsiderate and so on, but for the most part they were not born that way. Our past experiences and beliefs cause most of this. Perhaps some people are genetically inclined to behave badly, but in general we all have the potential to be good to each other. Upbringing has a lot to do with it.

yes 'good and evil' are Lord of the Rings-style works of fiction. There is no such things as good and evil. People are far too complex to be labeled by 'good' or 'evil' or even any shade of grey in between. The world is full of colors and we are vibrant mixes of all of them- some of various colors, some darker shades, some lighter shades, but all a big mix that changes with every second of your life. Like a slowly moving painting, or fastly moving, depending on how much you think individual thoughts continually affect your being. Probably a lot. I would say a painting changing at medium-speed :D lol. You know what I mean. But not a painting of something that looks like something- no seemingly apparent purpose, but a great, complicated splash of colors. That's what I would say if someone told me people were 'black and white' (I probably wouldn't say all that, but ya know ;D)

Even single actions cannot be labeled as good and evil. They affect things in many different ways from different viewpoints. They follow the laws of heat conservation. etc. etc. There is no underlying axis of good and evil.

There are, however, socially and legally accepted behaviors and concepts among groups. And it seems those accepted concepts are diminishing in places of the world previously discussed here, such as Africa. And I agree something should be done. But what? What power do we have to do anything? :P this is just a discussion, but we can certainly be a think tank as to where certain strategies would lead.

And I think general consensus, Lost_in_space, is that the CODE idea wouldn't work. But don't give up hope ;D we should move on and consider the effects of other strategies instead of what you were doing (sulking and saying we didn't work fast enough to come to conclusions- we did come to conclusions, they just weren't ones you wanted to hear. That doesn't mean our decision making process is flawed, though it's of course a possibility :P)

anyway, the cloning point was interesting, though i dont think I totally understood your post, jword. Are you saying it would be a good thing for everyone to have the same outlook? I would say that's the worst possible thing that could ever happen to the human race, if everyone had the same outlook :D

Well, it can be decided by arbitration, besides headphones can be a very personal way of bursting just your own eardrums.

Do you like to give it large with the music Emeraldcity.

Not sure what you meant with the last sentence, but will address the balance of your response. My point was that ask 10 people what foods we should eat, music we should listen to (if any) television to watch (if any) books to read (if any) and you will get 10 different responses from each. The list of course goes on and on and on. Thus, the reference of Rick Nelson's Garden Party song (which is a true story of an experience of his put to song). We cannot even agree on these simple things...eating, music, reading, etc. I belive we as a world's society have just about come to a consensus on all that is possible for us. And, if you think on that long enough, it is really quite remarkable. In my youth, I had the hopes and dreams that come with that level of life's experience and thought we could all live in peace and harmony. I thought, well, I will do my part and surely everyone else is thinking the same thing and before we know it, tuh duh...world peace. It just isn't going to happen. It is not in our human nature. There will always be that "bully on the playground". We just have to do the best we can do individually to make it the kind of world we want it to be and realize the world we want it to be is not the world the guy next door may want.