BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Farmer Jeb usually plants his own crops; this year he’s paying you to plant them. However, he wants them planted very particularly; and instead of just plain telling you where to plant what. He gives you a list of the foods and some clues.

Foods (in no particular order): wheat, pea’s carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, and onions

Clues (some are these are tricky, but funny)

1. The “toes” don’t touch

2. Wheat is not next to the carrots

3. Onion sandwich

4. The pea’s are either to the direct left or the direct right of the middle food

5. The potatoes are to the direct left of the onions

6. Wheat is at one of the ends

7. Potatoes can not be next to the peas

8. Between the pea’s and wheat there is potato

9. The pea’s don’t touch the carrots

10. Potatoes come after the carrots

Can you figure out where to plant which crop?

18 answers to this question

Clue 4 is unclear. There are two crops in the middle, cells 3 and 4. Does that mean that the peas must occupy cell 2 or 5?

Sorry for your confusion, It means that Pea's are part of the "middle" (but to which side ?)got it?

Clue 4 is unclear. There are two crops in the middle, cells 3 and 4. Does that mean that the peas must occupy cell 2 or 5?

I took it as Peas can be put in 2, 3, 4 and 5 cause 3 and 4 can be middle so those to their left and those to their right can go...

I could be mistaken though...

Carrots are first, then directly after there are potatoes

Wheat - Potatoes - Onions - Peas - Tomatoes - Carrots

Though clue #10 is kinda confusing cause I don't know if you're going left to right or right to left

I've used logical deduction to come up with an answer,but then it came into conflict with the one rule I hadn't looked at.

Which way is 'after'? Is it to the right of centre as we look at it, or to the left?

I've looked at the puzzle again, and I again get a clash. I either violate rule 5 or rule 10

Violating rule10, I get Wheat, Potatoes, Onions, Peas, Tomatoes, Carrots. Violating rule 5, I get Carrots, Tomatoes, Peas, Onions, Potatoes, Wheat

Is my logic flawed, or is there a contradiction, or am I just reading it wrongly?

Carrots potatoes onions peas tomatoes wheat

I've looked at the puzzle again, and I again get a clash. I either violate rule 5 or rule 10

Violating rule10, I get Wheat, Potatoes, Onions, Peas, Tomatoes, Carrots. Violating rule 5, I get Carrots, Tomatoes, Peas, Onions, Potatoes, Wheat

Is my logic flawed, or is there a contradiction, or am I just reading it wrongly?

I may have messed up myself...

This is my first time on so I'm not sure how long it takes a reply to show up and this may be a repeat or my first one may not have gotten sent at all - I'm not sure. ANyway - the directions didn't say each crop could only be planted once (or that there even had to be parallel rows although I used parallel rows). If you plant: carrots, tomatoes, peas, onions, potatoes, onions, wheat - then there is a "middle food" (onions), "onion sandwich" is the potatoes "sandwiched" between the two onion rows, and I think the rest of the rules are met. What do you think?

Farmer Jeb usually plants his own crops; this year he’s paying you to plant them. However, he wants them planted very particularly; and instead of just plain telling you where to plant what. He gives you a list of the foods and some clues.

Foods (in no particular order): wheat, pea’s carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, and onions

3. Onion sandwich

4. The pea’s are either to the direct left or the direct right of the middle food

8. Between the pea’s and wheat there is potato

This is my first time on so I'm not sure how long it takes a reply to show up and this may be a repeat or my first one may not have gotten sent at all - I'm not sure. ANyway - the directions didn't say each crop could only be planted once (or that there even had to be parallel rows although I used parallel rows). If you plant: carrots, tomatoes, peas, onions, potatoes, onions, wheat - then there is a "middle food" (onions), "onion sandwich" is the potatoes "sandwiched" between the two onion rows, and I think the rest of the rules are met. What do you think?

Well, I think that might also work, farmer Jeb may have more than seven rows ;)

3. Onion sandwich

8. Between the pea’s and wheat there is Tomatoes

I've edited rule 8 (please don't hate me!)