BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Children

rookie1ja

Wait...Peter is asking how old Thomas' children are but the teaser question asks how old Peter's children are. We do not know!

Thomas is asking peter. read the beginning of the problem.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But the oldest wore a "red" hat, implying that, perhaps, he's a professional, like a fireman. Then the ages of the children would need to be 1-2-18, so that the oldest could be old enough to be a fireman. The number of beers they drank then would be 21, one drank ten and the other eleven. I imagine they're both drunk by now.

Bit of a stretch if you ask me, though I can see your point.

Wait...Peter is asking how old Thomas' children are but the teaser question asks how old Peter's children are. We do not know!

ok guys,...but what's the point of choosing 2 combinations having the same sum??

• 3 weeks later...
Why has no body noted that children can be born 9, 10 or 11 months apart and still be the same number of years old (since years is always rounded down)? Therefore the answer 1,6,6 does not require twins, and there would be a clear older brother.

An example just to be as clear as possible - one child just turned 6, the "oldest" child will be turning 7 next month but is still 6 now.

Wow, this is true! Hadn't thought of that. Even still, if they are twins, most people know which twin was born first. My father and uncle identical twins and trust me, we're all constantly reminded that my father is 2.30 minutes older than my uncle...

Great teaser though, if not for this small flaw.

• 4 weeks later...
Children - Back to the Number Puzzles

An easier number puzzle is as follows. Two friends are chatting:

- Peter, how old are your children?

- Well Thomas, there are three of them and the product of their ages is 36.

- That is not enough ...

- The sum of their ages is exactly the number of beers we have drunk today.

- That is still not enough.

- OK, the last thing is that my oldest child wears a red hat.

How old were each of Peter's children?

There are quite a number of possible solutions, depending on how much these two characters can drink.

Ten are presented:

Children - Many Solutions

3, 3, and 4 would work, for only 10 beers.

2, 3, and 6 would work, for 11 beers.

2, 2, and 9 would work, for 13 beers.

1, 4, and 9 would work, for 14 beers

1, 6, and 6 would not work, as there would not be an oldest child, (unless they were both born separately in one year.)

1, 3, and 12 would work, for 16 beers.

1, 2, and 18 would work, but they would be dealing with a different puzzle after 21 beers. ("Which way is up???")

Similarly, 6 months ("1/2"), 1, and 72 would, but it would take a whopping 73 1/2 beers...

1, 1/4, 144 for 145 1/4 beers...

1, 1 month, 36*12 for 433 1/12 beers...

1, 1 day, 36*365 for 13,141 1/365 beers... (but they were little beers!)

There are quite a number of possible solutions, depending on how much these two characters can drink.

Ten are presented:

You are missing the fact that Thomas does know how many bears they had. Since this knowledge did not give him enough info to answer the question, all of the products of 36 that have a unique sum are ruled out.

It is quite obvious, the children are 1-1-36, now the first man hasn't drunken which is why he can make up this riddle. therefore the reason the # of beers doesn't help is because he is too wasted to count the # of beers he drank

2, 3, 6 gives a unique sum (there are no other 3 numbers giving that sum of 12 and product of 36) which does not fit the said, does it:

2 +3 +6 = 11

It is quite obvious, the children are 1-1-36, now the first man hasn't drunken which is why he can make up this riddle. therefore the reason the # of beers doesn't help is because he is too wasted to count the # of beers he drank

38 beers would kill a man

and thats a huge age difference for kids which makes it less likely

• 8 months later...

I disagree with the posted solution. Here is why.

The last clue says that the oldest wears a red hat. Why does he need to remember that the oldest child wears a red hat if the child is so much older than the others. The oldest child a twin and thus necessating the mnenomic of the red hat. The children are 6, 6, and 1.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...