BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

We've got our yearly festival tommorow so my two ancient aunts are making these totally cool sweets. I was there to help them and just check our what I found.

My 1st aunt is really great at cooking while the 2nd is still trying to catch it. Well the amont of sweets they made just proves it. Both my aunts cooked sweets as much as the square of their children. And the total amount of sweets that both of them made is as the cube of the no. of children my 2nd aunt has. Given that the whole family, about 30 people would be comming to the get together tommorow. How many kids do each of my aunts have?

10 answers to this question

We've got our yearly festival tommorow so my two ancient aunts are making these totally cool sweets. I was there to help them and just check our what I found.

My 1st aunt is really great at cooking while the 2nd is still trying to catch it. Well the amont of sweets they made just proves it. Both my aunts cooked sweets as much as the square of their children. And the total amount of sweets that both of them made is as the cube of the no. of children my 2nd aunt has. Given that the whole family, about 30 people would be comming to the get together tommorow. How many kids do each of my aunts have?

each aunt has 4.

Or one has 18 other has 9 children.

Edited by Eragon

Both my aunts cooked sweets as much as the square of their children.

Does this mean:

1. The total sweet is equal to the square of the total children (if this is the case, my previous answer)

2. Aunt 1 made as much as the square of aunt1 children only, aunt 2 made as much as the square of aunt2 children only. ( if this is the case, this is the answer)

Aunt 1 has 10, aunt two has 5

They made 8 sweets total, and each aunt has 2 kids

2*2*2 = 8

and

2^2 + 2^2 = 8

2 children each

Aunt A has CA children

Aunt B has CB children

Let x, y be the number of sweets Aunt A and B make

x = CA^2

Y = CB^2

x+y = CB^3

Given that the family is a size of 30, we have to list down the cubes less than 30 that satisfies the above equations.

The cubes are

1 - 1^3

8 - 2^3

27 - 3^3

Among these only 2^3 can help us satisfy all the above equations.

So CA = 2, CB = 2. x=4, y=4.