BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

In the country of logic, there was a small town in which every man was a perfect logician. This town had some strange customs, first of all, married men never knew or were told if their wives were cheating on them. It was absolutely forbidden to tell them, and men never found out by accident.

Conversely, if a wife was cheating on her husband, ever other man in the town knew about it, immediately. No one ever forgot or somehow didn’t learn of it.

Another strange custom in this town was that if a man were to know that his wife was cheating on him. He must that night take her to the square, in the middle of the town, and at the stroke of midnight, shoot her. All men knew this, and all would do it.

Now, on one fateful day, the mayor of this town called the whole population together, and sorrowfully proclaimed that it had come to his attention that there was at least one women cheating on her husband. He did not say who.

In actuality, there were 40 women cheating on their husbands.

So, the question is what (if anything) happened? And when?

5 answers to this question

Absolutely nothing happened. Here's why: Firstly, since all men new of any women who were cheating, the mayor's proclamation meant nothing, it just blindly verified what they already knew. Also, since it’s impossible for a man to find out his wife is cheating, woman are never were taken out and shot. So like I said, nothing at all happened.

I'm sure it posted before, however I didn't find it.

on the 40th day, 40 womans found dead

I searched it too, and couldn't find anything. However, that is the correct answer.

ok, i figured out, I have seen this riddle on a different site with little bit different conditions (and language), btw it's a nice a riddle, it requires a logic thinking, think it again joey

start: assume that there is only one woman cheating her husband, and two and so on..

Hi,

there are actually more variation posted on this site. One of them is also referred to in the very first post (pinned) in this forum section - Octopuppy gave his

I have actually posted this one as well

BTW, you will see more variations of this puzzle if you search for "josephine".

Thread locked.