BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Birthday

rookie1ja

Birthday - Back to the Number Puzzles

The day before yesterday I was 25 and the next year I will be 28. This is true only one day in a year. What day is my birthday?

This old topic is locked since it was answered many times. You can check solution in the Spoiler below.

Pls visit New Puzzles section to see always fresh brain teasers.

Birthday - solution

He was born on December 31st and spoke about it on January 1st.

• 2 months later...

umm... if the day before yesterday he was 25 doesn't that mean that he's 26 when he said that, and wouldn't the next year make him 27 and not 28? kinda lost there... can u explain it to me?

The day before yesterday (December 30) he was 25.

He turned 26 on December 31.

He talked about it on January 1. That year he would turn 27, so "next year" he would turn 28.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, if you were 25 two days ago, I am assuming your birthday was yesterday, and assuming yesterday was New Years Eve, that means you were 26 yesterday, you are going to be 27 this year and 28 next year.

this one needs reworded, on Jan. 1st he will not BE 28 he will turn 28 if you reworded:

it to be he will turn 28 next year

it would make more sence.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

So it seems it would be Feb 29th but isnt that every 4 years not 3? so he would go from 25 to 29 correct? so wouldnt it have to be new years? Correct me if im wrong please,

I think the thread should be like this,

I'll be 28 next year => this year I'll be or have been 27

in other words, my 27th birthday is in this year => my 26th birthday was in last year, couldn't be today

Moreover, because I was 25 the day before yesterday, my 26th birthday should be yesterday, which was in the last year.

In conclusion, yesterday was Dec.31th, my birthday.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, this is for the benefit of those who do not understand this riddle:

Dec 30, 2007: I am 25 years old, and my birthday is tomorrow.

Dec 31, 2007: Happy birthday to me!! I am now 26 years old.

Jan1, 2008: TWO DAYS AGO (aka Dec 30, 2007), I was 25 years old. Next year, I will be 28!

>>>>>>>>>>>>fast forward to............

Dec 31, 2008: I turned 27 today....notice this is still the same year that I mentioned the "TWO DAYS AGO" statement.

>>>>>>>>>>>>fast forward to..........

Dec 31, 2009: I turned 28 today!! Remember when I said that "next year I will be 28"? I said that in 2008, right? This is 2009, right? 2009 DOES come after 2008, right? If you don't get this by now, get off the short bus you so obviously go to school on.

• 4 weeks later...
Okay, this is for the benefit of those who do not understand this riddle:

Dec 30, 2007: I am 25 years old, and my birthday is tomorrow.

Dec 31, 2007: Happy birthday to me!! I am now 26 years old.

Jan1, 2008: TWO DAYS AGO (aka Dec 30, 2007), I was 25 years old. Next year, I will be 28!

>>>>>>>>>>>>fast forward to............

Dec 31, 2008: I turned 27 today....notice this is still the same year that I mentioned the "TWO DAYS AGO" statement.

>>>>>>>>>>>>fast forward to..........

Dec 31, 2009: I turned 28 today!! Remember when I said that "next year I will be 28"? I said that in 2008, right? This is 2009, right? 2009 DOES come after 2008, right? If you don't get this by now, get off the short bus you so obviously go to school on.

oh i c

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, man, I love this one! I'm in seventh grade, and my math teacher gave us this problem maybe 3 weeks ago. I was the only one to solve it, which doesn't really surprise me, since I am smarter than a lot of 8th graders, but it was really cool! :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

if his birthday was dec 31 and its jan 1.... so the day before yesterday he's 25, yesterday he's 26. This year he's 27 and next year he'll be 28... So it's Jan 1st and his birthday is Dec 31.