BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

There are two absolutely identical bottles placed in outer space, one containing a liquid and the other empty. You cannot see the inside, and are not allowed to move either of them. How do you determine which contains the liquid?

13 answers to this question

What do you mean "cannot see the inside"? Are the materials opaque to all forms of electromagnetic radiation? If not then...

X-ray diffraction. Magnetic resonance imaging.

There are two absolutely identical bottles placed in outer space, one containing a liquid and the other empty. You cannot see the inside, and are not allowed to move either of them. How do you determine which contains the liquid?

a liquid at room temp on earth, or a liquid in outerspace?

differnt things have different properities in different places! :D

Unless the "empty" bottle was a vacuum, both bottles would contain solids, not liquids. With an average temperature in space of 3 degrees kelvin (3 degrees above absolute zero) even air would freeze and become solid substance.

The bottles have different mass. Just as on earth, if you shake the bottles side to side, you can feel the difference in weight (mass).

I think it said the two bottles can't be moved.

You could measure the gravitational field around them and determine which has more mass.

Hi Everyone.

This was discussed among my friends and the guy who put it forward said this answer by palascosas is the right answer. However we weren't exactly in agreement so that's why I posted it here to get a better feedback. I see that there is not a definitive answer here actually.