BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Cavenglok

Question

The wife of the head of police comes to your office.

Woman: Good job, Detective Dennis. You are rewarded a promotion. You are now the new head of police.

You: What?!? But there still is..?

Woman: My husband caught the "Basilisk."

You: The what?

Woman: The "Basilisk" is an uncurable, horribly contagious disease. The doctors say it's artificial, and it won't be a big problem until plenty people get the disease if the sick are seperated from the safe. Flesh contact continues it. But more and more people are getting the disease, and not one of them touched a victim. Obviously there is someone behind this mess. (she looks at you in the eye) I need you to clear this up. You've been in big messes before, correct?

You: As of the promotion, I can't accept. I'm too curious and reckless. I can, though, investigate this disease.

Woman: Thank you. I have a friend who you can talk to. His name is Mark Slovenk. My name is Minerva Smith, Bartimor Smith's wife.

To make it easier, I'll list all the names so far.

-Bartimor Smith. Ex-head of police. Has Basilisk. Victim

-Minerva Smith. Wife of Bartimor Smith. Witness

-Mark Slovenk. Minerva Smith's friend. Witness or Suspect

Edited by Cavenglok

• Answers 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Very well.

You amplify the chicken noises to full volume in the Basilisk Room. The victims freeze, then cough, then they limp. They have all died. Then a doctor says, "Look! The Basilisk in them all disappeared! Normally they stay in corpses, but they're gone! Problem is, they're dead..."

Good job, you somewhat completed the cure half. Now you must stop the people who started it. I told you it would be long. :)

Now would be a good time to examine the room underneath Luther's bed (seeing as he is dead)

Need to grill Basil (with taser) about where he got the titanium chloride and how he knew it was supposed to increase human strength. While we are grilling him could we have Sarah in the observation room behind the one way glass I just want to she if she drops any mention of knowing about the origin of titanium chloride as well. We also need to check if these two had any idea that titanium chloride was associated with basilisk or if either of them know who BOA is.

If we get any information from Sarah while this is happening take her to the interrogation room.

While both of them observe affix a loud speaker to the top of your car and play the sounds of chickens over it. See if there are any objections. If there are none whenever you drive you car make sure you use the loud speaker.

Now would be a good time to examine the room underneath Luther's bed (seeing as he is dead)

Need to grill Basil (with taser) about where he got the titanium chloride and how he knew it was supposed to increase human strength. While we are grilling him could we have Sarah in the observation room behind the one way glass I just want to she if she drops any mention of knowing about the origin of titanium chloride as well. We also need to check if these two had any idea that titanium chloride was associated with basilisk or if either of them know who BOA is.

If we get any information from Sarah while this is happening take her to the interrogation room.

While both of them observe affix a loud speaker to the top of your car and play the sounds of chickens over it. See if there are any objections. If there are none whenever you drive you car make sure you use the loud speaker.

Very well. You visit the bed. The funeral men couldn't move it for some reason because of legal issues. It doesn't matter, point is, they didn't move it. You unhinge the mattress. It swings over and slams onto the ground with a big WHUMP! You look in it. It has a single, unopened envelope and a picture. I'll update the picture. The envelope says, "To Detective Dennis. Open when you are alone." You open it, seeing as you are Detective Dennis, and you're alone. Inside is Luther's will.

Luther's Will:

I would like to let Sarah Anthony know, that actually, I loved her. With all my heart. I hope that what happened in high school is past now. I would like for Isaac Basil to continue his research, but stop using titanium chloride, as it seems to be troublesome. I would like all my property given to Jane Witherby, who has always been a great companion to me at times of loneliness. This is the last section of my will, and it is totally confidential except to Detective Dennis. The code is 53622 Detective, you may show others my will. My name is Luther Basil, and this is my will.

Dr. Basil: 1. Er... The government provided it to us... with a quizzical look. 2. How do you - (taser is now in his face) Alright, I got it, answer the questions. Well, I actually don't know, I'm not in the BOA. He's not lying.

Sarah: Titanium chloride... My mentor suggested the idea of combining chloride and titanium. In liquid form, it is surprisingly heavier than mercury. But... I never thought... Now that I think of it, it could work...

The chickens are your new siren. No one complains, but they look at you strangely. Particularly those you questioned with the chickens.

A couple people drop dead as you drive by. You are shocked.

Edited by Cavenglok

The chickens are your new siren. No one complains, but they look at you strangely. Particularly those you questioned with the chickens.

A couple people drop dead as you drive by. You are shocked.

This is getting surreal!

Ask Sarah who her mentor is

Examine Luthers apartment (so nice of him to send his will to us after we tasered him :D )

Ask Dr Basil about the details of his study and where he has got up to. Do not give him permission to continue his research until we know it is all OK. Offer him a couple of chickens just to be sure he behaves.

wait.... are doctor Basil and Luther related? It seems so....

what does the picture look like? Have I missed the upload or have you not done it yet?

Tell Sarah that Luther loved her.

This is getting surreal!

Ask Sarah who her mentor is

Examine Luthers apartment (so nice of him to send his will to us after we tasered him :D )

Ask Dr Basil about the details of his study and where he has got up to. Do not give him permission to continue his research until we know it is all OK. Offer him a couple of chickens just to be sure he behaves.

Sarah: 1. My mentor is actually Dr. Basil. Soon, he recognized me as an equal and invited me as his partner.

Luther's apartment is almost cleared, except for the bed and the chairs. The moving people state that it was because he wanted those to stay there in the will that was read at his funeral, not the one in the bed.

Dr. Basil: 1. As you would have guessed, I was a certified doctor. I retired, but the government rehired me as a doctor. You know, the Basilisk and stuff. So I'm researching non-deadly cures. (he looks at you with an unapproving look)

His research seems fine. You give him chickens as a gift. He looks at you with an insulted look and says, "I personally don't think killing is the best cure." and puts them in a cage.

Am I starting to lose you guys? Or is it just me? Should I quicken the pace?

wait.... are doctor Basil and Luther related? It seems so....

what does the picture look like? Have I missed the upload or have you not done it yet?

Tell Sarah that Luther loved her.

I don't know, you tell me.

I just posted the picture.

You find Sarah sobbing in her office comforted by her friend.

Sarah: *sob* *sob* Oh, hello, Detective. I.. just miss Luther...

Now it is slightly more difficult to tell her of the will, but you muster up your confidence by the feel of your police license in your wallet. You tell her Luther loved her.

Sarah: Oh... I loved him, too... I wish I wasn't so cruel to him!

She lets out a girly scream and sobs even harder. You flinch and you feel goosebumps up and down your skin.

Sarah: [insert sobby monologue]

When she's done, you leave with a box of tissues you got from Detective Basil.

Dr. Basil: 1. As you would have guessed, I was a certified doctor. I retired, but the government rehired me as a doctor. You know, the Basilisk and stuff. So I'm researching non-deadly cures. (he looks at you with an unapproving look)

Hey, don't look at me like that they were dead already and it is not as if I injected them with a deadly disease or anything. Could you tell me more about how you got the titanium chloride? Who was the government official who gave it to you? Could you describe him to a sketch artist? do you know anything about this logo (present picture of snake with wings)?

When she's done, you leave with a box of tissues you got from Detective Basil.

Detective Basil?, Inspect the tissues immediately (including using chicken). Unless you mean Dr Basil we potentially have a mole.

Edit: Sheesh too many Basils, related???

Edited by phaze

Cavenglok already asked us to tell him/her whether they are related.

I say yes, Luther is Basil's son.

Ask Sarah about logo.

PS

We are not getting bored, at least not me. It just seems that only phaze and I are participating at this point.

EDIT: sorry, there was some improper grammar there.

Edited by master300

I am not bored with it either just have been having brain blocks recently (School has been getting longer and longer, at least it feels that way). :wacko::(

Ask Jane: With the lie detector.

What she knows about the Basilisk?

If she has any knowledge of BOA?

What she knows about Titanium Carbide?

WIll try and think of more.

Hey, don't look at me like that they were dead already and it is not as if I injected them with a deadly disease or anything. Could you tell me more about how you got the titanium chloride? Who was the government official who gave it to you? Could you describe him to a sketch artist? do you know anything about this logo (present picture of snake with wings)?

Detective Basil?, Inspect the tissues immediately (including using chicken). Unless you mean Dr Basil we potentially have a mole.

Edit: Sheesh too many Basils, related???

Dr. Basil: 1. I guess there's no stopping now... I know I'll get injected with the titanium chloride the next day, but my son already because of me. I cannot let this continue. I got it from the BOA. I suppose you already know all about it. They wanted me to inject it into people to test their results. 2. It arrives in packages on my desk. Not even the mail. 3. No official. 4. Yes, the symbol of the BOA.

You inspect the tissues. Sarah is still trying to get over Luther's death when she collapses. Her friend collapses right after. You thank the heavens that you're wearing inspector gloves and put the tissue box in a bag. You label it "CONTAMINATED."

Maybe I made a typo. You're Detective Dennis. Sorry.

Cavenglok already asked us to tell him/her whether they are related.

I say yes, Luther is Basil's son.

Ask Sarah about logo.

PS

We are not getting bored, at least not me. It just seems that only phaze and I are participating at this point.

EDIT: sorry, there was some improper grammar there.

Okay. You can ask Dr. Basil if you want.

Sarah: (this is before she collapsed) 1. This is the sign of the BOA, right?

PS

Good to know, thanks.

I am not bored with it either just have been having brain blocks recently (School has been getting longer and longer, at least it feels that way). :wacko::(

Ask Jane: With the lie detector.

What she knows about the Basilisk?

If she has any knowledge of BOA?

What she knows about Titanium Carbide?

WIll try and think of more.

Yeah, me too. I no like school.

Jane: 1. It's a disease. Chickens kill it, right? It's deadly. L-Luther died from it. (tears swell in eyes) It's fine, but shows a disturbance at end. 2. BOA? What's that? She's panicking. Why? 3. Titanium Chloride (sorry if I said Carbide before, I was debating whether to use chloride or carbide. I decided on Chloride, but must've forgotten) is that metal thing Luther gets every day. Nothing unusual.

You are sitting on your couch, pretty stumped. All your witnesses are very stubborn, especially Dr. Basil, who JUST broke down. But now Sarah and her friend Lisa are in the Basilisk Room, you have no way to get into the BOA, and the only information you're getting so far is about Luther's personal life. Then the TV flashes and your telephone rings. You pick up your phone first because, well, that's kinda what you do. It's the President.

President: Detective Dennis? This is the President of the United States. I heard about your work and heard you've stopped the Phoenix. I compliment you, but now I'm telling you that you must hurry your investigation, the Basilisk is becoming worse. I know Isaac and Luther Basil. Luther told me about the safe before he passed away. You should solve that, definitely. Please, Detective, it's up to you to save the world. Also... my wife and I have it.

You gasp. The TV flashes PRESIDENT AND FIRST LADY CATCH THE BASILISK: RESEARCH FOR CURE INTENSIFIED.

This is becoming intense, isn't it?

3. Titanium Chloride (sorry if I said Carbide before, I was debating whether to use chloride or carbide. I decided on Chloride, but must've forgotten) is that metal thing Luther gets every day. Nothing unusual.

You said Chloride, I just forgot what it was at the time of that post.

President: Detective Dennis? This is the President of the United States. I heard about your work and heard you've stopped the Phoenix. I compliment you, but now I'm telling you that you must hurry your investigation, the Basilisk is becoming worse. I know Isaac and Luther Basil. Luther told me about the safe before he passed away. You should solve that, definitely. Please, Detective, it's up to you to save the world. Also... my wife and I have it.

You gasp. The TV flashes PRESIDENT AND FIRST LADY CATCH THE BASILISK: RESEARCH FOR CURE INTENSIFIED.

This is becoming intense, isn't it?

President: Could you give me everything about what the government knows about BOA, Titanium chloride and Basilisk?

what we really need is a lock down. People will freak out about the pres and will start to panic. If everyone is moving around, things will get worse.

k, ask pres. if he can order the nation into lock down. No one leaves their home for the next week. Will he allow that? Also, order one of the cabinet members without Basilisk into a solid confinement area. He will be the next pres. (sorry, learned about this stuff in school. Just using my knowledge!)

How is Jane related to Luther? Ask her.

what we really need is a lock down. People will freak out about the pres and will start to panic. If everyone is moving around, things will get worse.

It is this or (gulp) play chicken noises over all major radio and TV networks...

Forget I mentioned it...

Some people are still going to need to be able to move (us, and maybe Dr Basil Snr)

The reason for the loud speakers on the car was to ensure that Detective Dennis (us) does not come into contact with Basilisk (cutting the investigation short)

ask him if he has anything to help u (get inside the BOA)

I recently checked the wings of the government. I saw a section I've never seen before. The Bat of Something Something. Is that your BOA? Well, they weren't there when I was elected, nor did I get any reports. Strange, eh?

It is this or (gulp) play chicken noises over all major radio and TV networks...

Forget I mentioned it...

Some people are still going to need to be able to move (us, and maybe Dr Basil Snr)

The reason for the loud speakers on the car was to ensure that Detective Dennis (us) does not come into contact with Basilisk (cutting the investigation short)

Lockdown initiated. No one roams the streets anymore. Communication is reached only by Internet. On TV, doctors announce that they have found a mortal cure that destroys the virus, but kills the inhabitant. They tell the world that chicken clucks can "kill" the virus. People panic, but they are also glad that the Basilisk might end. Still, 50% of the population of the world is dead, and approximately 20% of the rest are infected. There is a 30% chance that someone "not infected" may be in the process of developing the virus. (as in the week in which the victim is fine until the collapse) Math problem! Yay!

k, ask pres. if he can order the nation into lock down. No one leaves their home for the next week. Will he allow that? Also, order one of the cabinet members without Basilisk into a solid confinement area. He will be the next pres. (sorry, learned about this stuff in school. Just using my knowledge!)

How is Jane related to Luther? Ask her.

Cabinet Member Johnson (made him up) is now in a solid confinement area.

(nah, it's going along with my plan. studied this too)

Jane: 1. Well, I was bankrupt, and was walking around trying to sell my art. I was trying to get money to get some more art equipment and food. Luther came up to me and told me that he really liked my paintings. I thanked him and tried to sell him one. He denied all of them, but asked me where he could come when he had his wallet. I told him I lived on the cardboard I was sitting on. He widened his eyes and told me that if I could pay the rent and provide his house with paintings, he would let me live in his house. I told him I couldn't afford a rent, but he said that it was fine as long as I could live on canned food. That was like, "Jane, you won the lottery!" to me. I agreed. When I arrived at his house, he supplied me with art supplies to start off with, and told me to get to work. He worked me hard, but I loved art, and I never complained. He didn't work me too hard, so I shouldn't have complained anyway. He was always so kind to me... *sniff* He told me every secret of his... *sniff* Like the Basili... *CHOKE!*

Jane collapses and her face is green, then she grows pale.

Jane: Not.. the.. Basilisk... Kill... Isaac... Open... Safe...

Every part of her grows white... Her hair turns white.. It's as if every part of her is shriveling up. When it's over, she looks like a blanch-white mummy. You have never seen someone with the Basilisk like this before.

Intro to my next mystery, realized this has to be part of this one.

All right. Time for this topic to move back up...

maybe I missed something, or maybe I just forgot.. Who is Isaac? Have we met one yet? If not, search for a man named Isaac who is a medical technician of some sort or has any government affiliation.

The safe... need a refresher and some more help for that too.