BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Cavenglok

Question

The wife of the head of police comes to your office.

Woman: Good job, Detective Dennis. You are rewarded a promotion. You are now the new head of police.

You: What?!? But there still is..?

Woman: My husband caught the "Basilisk."

You: The what?

Woman: The "Basilisk" is an uncurable, horribly contagious disease. The doctors say it's artificial, and it won't be a big problem until plenty people get the disease if the sick are seperated from the safe. Flesh contact continues it. But more and more people are getting the disease, and not one of them touched a victim. Obviously there is someone behind this mess. (she looks at you in the eye) I need you to clear this up. You've been in big messes before, correct?

You: As of the promotion, I can't accept. I'm too curious and reckless. I can, though, investigate this disease.

Woman: Thank you. I have a friend who you can talk to. His name is Mark Slovenk. My name is Minerva Smith, Bartimor Smith's wife.

To make it easier, I'll list all the names so far.

-Bartimor Smith. Ex-head of police. Has Basilisk. Victim

-Minerva Smith. Wife of Bartimor Smith. Witness

-Mark Slovenk. Minerva Smith's friend. Witness or Suspect

Edited by Cavenglok

• Answers 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I enjoyed trying to figure it out the mystery, however, I think that you could slow down just a bit and let us try and put the pieces together a little bit before jumping to the next thing.

If we start getting off track, you could redirect us back on track. But it is totally up to you. I will still try and figure it out. :thumbsup:

Ask Minevra, where Bart was when he contacted the Basilisk. Also ask if he was on a case, when he contacted the disease.

Is the disease only transferable by contact? If so, talk to Bart.

Ask him:

What cases he has worked on that may relate to the reason for his current condition?

Who have you touched in the past few days? (Ask doctor if possible how long it takes for the disease to appear, i.e. how long after touching someone?)

Who was with you when you contracted the disease?

Mark:

Do you know anyone else who has Basilisk?

What do you know about the transfer methods of this disease?

(kinda random) What is your profession?

Okay. Thanks for the tip.

Yes, Gmaster. There are once again checkpoints in this, in case you catch the Basilisk.

Mark: Well, all I know about is a retired doctor named Dr. Basil.

Minerva: Hmm... Well, all I know is that he caught the disease a couple days ago.

Bart: Yes, yes, it's fine, just don't let me touch you... 1. None, really, you and the other detectives are the ones who were on cases... 2. Minerva, obviously, she's my wife, some police officers, and a doctor. I've been isolated most of the time, mind you. Doctor told me it takes a full week at least. 3. Well, I remember falling on the ground, throwing up a lot, and Minerva asked if I was okay. I passed out, and she called the police. I hope she didn't touch me, I wouldn't like it if I made her sick.

Mark: 1. Yes, plenty, but as soon as the disease showed signs, we had to send them to the Basilisk Rooms. 2. All I know is that you have to touch them, skin to skin. 3. I am a writer.

-Bartimor Smith. Ex-head of police. Has Basilisk. Victim

-Minerva Smith. Wife of Bartimor Smith. Witness

-Mark Slovenk. Minerva Smith's friend. Witness or Suspect

-Dr. Basil. Bartimor's doctor. Witness or Suspect

Should I stop doing character listing to make it harder? Or is it fine?

Edited by Cavenglok

Ask Minerva: Where were you and your husband when he fell sick, also where were ya'll about a week before that?

Ask the Doctor: What do you know about the disease and is there another way to get infected other than contact?

Minerva: 1. We were sleeping in our bedroom. 2. Barty was having his doctor's appointment... Let's see. We went to see Mark and Luther...

Dr. Basil: 1. The Basilisk is a highly contagious disease. It can be fatal if not treated after three months, and if we don't find a cure soon, a majority of the population will be gone. 2. I don't believe so, but it would explain the mysterious infections when the victims have been nowhere near the other victims.

Edited by Cavenglok

Minerva: 1. We were sleeping in our bedroom. 2. Barty was having his doctor's appointment... Let's see. We went to see Mark and Luther...

Dr. Basil: 1. The Basilisk is a highly contagious disease. It can be fatal if not treated after three months, and if we don't find a cure soon, a majority of the population will be gone. 2. I don't believe so, but it would explain the mysterious infections when the victims have been nowhere near the other victims.

Start wearing insect repellent and gloves avoid all household pets or any other animal

Ask Minerva

1. Did you touch Bart when he was sick?(he was worried about you)

2. Could you tell us about Luther?

3. What were you doing with Mark and Luther?

4. Do you have any pets? Have you noticed any stray animals recently? have you touched them?

Ask Dr Basil

1. What other animals besides humans could potentially carry or be infected by Basilisk?

Find address for Mark and Luther and attempt to contact them (tell us if contact is available)

Basil:

Why did you retire and how long ago?

When was your last appointment with Bart before he got Basilisk?

Do other Basilisk victims see you?

Minerva:

What can you tell us about Mark,too?

Bart:

What do you remember about your visit with Mark and Luther?

Did you touch anything while visiting them?

Did anything suspicious happen during this encounter?

This is important. THESE ADDRESSES ARE NOT REAL. The characters are not based on real people.

Minerva: 1. Well, I don't think so, might have, but would have gotten it now, wouldn't I? It was a week since he collapsed. 2. Luther is Barty's brother. He lives with us in our house, 1158 Tremont Street. 3. We were discussing about the Basilisk and what to do with it. 4. We have a pet dog named Merlin. There haven't been any stray animals recently. 5. (this is master's question) Mark was a long-time friend. He used to be our neighbor before Barty got the job. He was still a good friend, though. He lives in 234 Warren Street.

Dr. Basil: 1. I retired 3 years ago. 2. Yesterday. I checked him over, careful not to come in contact with his flesh without gloves. 3. Yes. It's as if I've been rehired as a doctor, everyone comes to see me like a regular doctor.

Bart: 1. They were nice, and Mark was meeting Luther for the first time. 2. Of course. Mark and Luther's hand. This was after the check-up. 3. No, except that Luther was home from work, taking a break.

<cough/> it appears if Dr Basil is getting forgetful

What other animals besides humans could potentially carry or be infected by Basilisk?

Sorry Cavenglock we are firing a lot of questions at you, it would be easy to miss a few

(I take it this question is not terribly important?)

Ask Minerva: Where were you and your husband when he fell sick, also where were ya'll about a week before that?

Minerva: 2. Barty was having his doctor's appointment... Let's see. We went to see Mark and Luther...

3. What were you doing with Mark and Luther?

3. We were discussing about the Basilisk and what to do with it.

To Minerva: Sorry, I meant what were you (and Bart) doing with Mark and Luther a week ago?

<cough/> it appears if Dr Basil is getting forgetful

What other animals besides humans could potentially carry or be infected by Basilisk?

Sorry Cavenglock we are firing a lot of questions at you, it would be easy to miss a few

(I take it this question is not terribly important?)

Nah, it's fine.

Dr. Basil: As far as I know, none. However, I am not very updated in the medical world.

Actually, that is a relatively important question.

Minerva: We were introducing Mark to Luther. We had dinner together, also.

Edited by Cavenglok

Explore the addresses and see if there are any clues that could have been left.

(a few strange questions)

Luther: What did you think of Mark when you first met him? Is there anything strange that you have noticed over the last couple of weeks. Have you been in contact with any animals over the last couple of weeks

Mark: What did you think of Luther when you first met him? Do you have any pets?

Explore the addresses and see if there are any clues that could have been left.

(a few strange questions)

Luther: What did you think of Mark when you first met him? Is there anything strange that you have noticed over the last couple of weeks. Have you been in contact with any animals over the last couple of weeks

Mark: What did you think of Luther when you first met him? Do you have any pets?

You check Bart, Minerva, and Mark's address first, 1158 Tremont Street. You, surprised, walk into a small three-room apartment with a large dog who you assume is Merlin barking and jumping on you. The room you enter is the living room, and it has a black leather sofa with a regular sized TV. In the same room is a small kitchen, with only the essential things. There is a fridge, sink, and a couple pots. You walk into Mark's room, a simple room with a small bed, a closet, and a desk with a laptop. It has a small bathroom with a toilet and a sink. Bart and Minerva's room has a slightly larger bed, a large closet, and a door leading to the bathroom. The bathroom has a sink, a toilet, and a shower. This one is bigger than Mark's. Mark says that he shares the showers with Bart and Minerva. Only the living room has a window.

Luther's house (234 Warren Street) is different. It's a Brownstone with a small writing office on the first floor. There's a desk, a printer, a writing board, lots of paper, and a computer. In the basement is the kitchen, garden, and storage. The kitchen is actually relatively large, with pots and pans scattered in the shelves. The refrigerator is full of microwave food. He uses the counter to eat, since he lives alone besides the woman he rented out his fourth floor with. His garden is a small grassy plain with a bench under a tree, perfect for resting and reading. On the second floor, there's a sofa and a TV. There's a picture of Luther's late wife. It has his bedroom. He has a small bed and a window. He has chairs surrounding the room for some reason. His bathroom is not unusual, with a toilet, sink and shower. His fourth floor is rented out to a woman named Jane. You ask Jane why she let Luther live on microwave food. She answers, "I don't cook much either." She has a bedroom, a bathroom, and an art room. ("I'm an artist.") Her bedroom is much like Luther's without the chairs. So is her bathroom. Her art room has many palettes with many unfinished paintings, and with even more beautiful paintings.

Luther: 1. Mark was a good guy. He was much like Bart. Aggressive, but clever and hearty. It's a shame about Bart catching the Basilisk... 2. No, not really. 3. Bart's dog, Merlin.

Mark: 1. Luther was a friendly guy. I understood how Bart was good friends with him. He was very funny. 2. Bart has Merlin, but no, I don't have one.

Remember, you can ask me questions too.

Edited by Cavenglok

It may be a good idea to quarantine all witnesses/suspects (I'm sorry but I also mean Merlin)

Ask Dr Basil if he knows of anyone involved in medication who may be able to help? Is there anyone he knows who might know about Basilisk? Is there any test we can do to tell if people have Basilisk?

Does Merlin have fleas?

Ask Bart if he has had any insect bites recently? Is there anyone else you have visited over the past week?

Ask Luther what he knows about Basilisk?

Are any of the suspects doing something odd? What precautions are they taking so that they are not infected?

It may be a good idea to quarantine all witnesses/suspects (I'm sorry but I also mean Merlin)

Ask Dr Basil if he knows of anyone involved in medication who may be able to help? Is there anyone he knows who might know about Basilisk? Is there any test we can do to tell if people have Basilisk?

Does Merlin have fleas?

Ask Bart if he has had any insect bites recently? Is there anyone else you have visited over the past week?

Ask Luther what he knows about Basilisk?

Are any of the suspects doing something odd? What precautions are they taking so that they are not infected?

Bart and Minerva are unhappy, but Merlin is quarantined. So are all the others.

Dr. Basil: 1. Hmm... There's my old collague, Sarah Anthony. You can ask her to find out how her research is going. 2. Well, everyone knows, of course, but all the doctors and surgeons know the specific details. 3. Well, you can't in the first week, but after the week they collapse, and that's when it grows contageous.

You check Merlin over. No fleas.

Bart: 1. No. Nothing. 2. No, I have been completely isolated. Minerva and Mark came in sometimes in what roughly looked like a space suit. So do you, by the way. (he looks at your clunky anti-Basilisk suit)

Luther: 1. I know it's a contagious disease converted through contact, I know it kills after a month and a week, and I know that mysteriously people are getting it even though they are nowhere near a victim, and I know that information's classi- never mind.

Luther and Dr. Basil shift uncomfortably at times, Minerva looks out the window often, and Mark always twiddles his thumb in interviews. None of them take off their gloves when traveling outside of their house, and if they can help it, they try not to meet people who knows a victim. Everyone does these days.

I forgot to say, you have the tools you had in the Burning Phoenix.

Luther:What are the chairs in your bedroom for?

Bart:Did anything unusual happen a week before you callapsed?

Luther: 1. Er.. nothing.

Bart: 1. Yes. Well, the doctor to be more precise. He injected a syringe into my arm, and he didn't tell me why. He just told me to trust him.

Basil:Did you have the authorization to do so, since you are retired?

Luther: Could you please finish your explanation you were giving in post 18? If he refuses to finish, can we taser him? That would be the best. Ha ha.

Ban Bart from seeing Basil. Find another Basilisk victim.

Edited by master300

Introduce Sarah Anthony to Luther (through the glass) say

"I am sure you two have met Sarah this is.. Um I seem to have forgotten his name"

Also ask Sarah what her research involves, about other possibilities for transporting Basilisk, if people can be carriers without exhibiting symptoms and finally if other animals can be carriers or fall victim to Basilisk. Ask about her relationship to Dr Basil and to Luther (If she supplies a name to the above)

Ask Bart if he noticed Dr Basil taking notes while he was injected, asked if has noticed Luther or Basil taking notes in his presence over the past couple of weeks.

Can we get a warrant to search the doctors/Luther's house/work for medical records or notes?

I must say having them in quarantine does mean that they have a more difficult time disposing of evidence, does it what?

Guys, sorry if it was confusing, but Luther does NOT have the Basilisk. Recently it became illegal to quarentine non-victims, so you have to let them out, but they are very careful anyway. However, before they are released, you search for evidence. You find Dr. Basil's diary, and it has the engravemnt of a snake on it. However, the doctor comes in before you can investigate any further and chases you out, but he does not notice you holding the diary. You check the office next. You realize that either the records of Bart's syringe were either destroyed or never existed at all. In Luther's house, you find that Luther's mattress has hinges. To your misfortune, Luther walks in at that moment, and just like Dr. Basil, you are chased out.

Dr. Basil: 1. Yes, I still have a Ph.D. 2. Serum? W-what serum?

Luther: 1. Er.. I'd rather not. (he sees your taser) Jeez, I was only saying it was for a class of.. my friend's. He was going to teach his students about the dangers and all.

You do what phaze says.

Sarah: (looks coldly at Luther) Nice to meet you, Luthess.

Luther: (a matching look with Sarah) Nice to meet you too Sargh.

Sarah: 1. My research involves deadly diseases and researching ways to recover from them. 2. The Basilisk can be transported in the bloodstream also. If the disease goes through the skin and into the bloodstream, the mammal catches the Basilisk more effectively. In this case, they will be contageous in one week and die the next. 3. No. It can only be carried once the mammal is "conquered." First symptom will always be a collapse. There is no other way of telling earlier. Once the collapse takes place, the disease becomes contageous. 4. Only mammals are vulnerable. In fact, birds seem to love samples of the disease. Especially chickens. 5. Dr. Basil was a colleague of mine. We were in the same department of the hospital I work in right now. He was very observant of the deadliest diseases. Luther... is a "friend" of mine.

Bart: Dr. Basil took notes while I took the syringe, of course, he has to keep records. (you may or may not tell him about the records) No, they didn't take notes after.

Keep up the good questions!

Edited by Cavenglok