BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Your mother has seven children. The names of six children are Bobby, Benny, Billy, Brenda, Bellinda, and Betsy.

-Bobby and Billy say, "Our brother, Benny, is always truthful. He always speaks the truth."

-Brenda and Bellinda say, "Our brothers, Bobby and Billy, are always liars. They always speak in lies."

-Benny says, "My sisters, Bella and Betsy, are always truthful. They always speak the truth."

Note: Bobby, Benny, and Billy are male. Brenda, Bellinda, and Betsy are female. All the children are related by blood by the same mother.

Who are the liars? And Who are truthful?

...These questions are very tricky. :D

7 answers to this question

Your mother has seven children. The names of six children are Bobby, Benny, Billy, Brenda, Bellinda, and Betsy.

-Bobby and Billy say, "Our brother, Benny, is always truthful. He always speaks the truth."

-Brenda and Bellinda say, "Our brothers, Bobby and Billy, are always liars. They always speak in lies."

-Benny says, "My sisters, Bella and Betsy, are always truthful. They always speak the truth."

Note: Bobby, Benny, and Billy are male. Brenda, Bellinda, and Betsy are female. All the children are related by blood by the same mother.

Case 1:

Bobby, Billy, Benny, Betsy and Bella are liars. (I assume Bella is the name of the seventh daughter)

Brenda and Bellinda are truthful.

My name is Bella.

Or

Case 2:

Bobby, Billy, Benny, Bella and Betsy are Truthful (I assume Bella is the name of seventh daughter)

Brenda and Bellinda are Liars.

My name is Bella.

Now both case 1 & case 2 are correct according to the problem. But if I want a single solution, I am assuming that a truthful person would say all inclusive statement. So if Brenda & Bellinda are saying truth then they mean that ONLY Bobby and Billy are Liars, and Benny is says the truth. Which is not possible from Statement 1 as it makes Benny a Liar. Hence Brenda and Bellinda are lying and so on Case 2 is true!

That is:

Bobby, Billy, Benny, Bella and Betsy are Truthful (I assume Bella is the name of seventh daughter)

Brenda and Bellinda are Liars.

My name is Bella. ;)

You sir are a liar, I have one sister and her name is not listed above :D

Brenda & Bellinda are liars ... all the remaining speak truth

Are Bella and Bellinda the same person???

Yes, it is simply a nickname. Just like Peg is derived from Peggy (or more correctly Margaret but you get the point).

I'm gonna live forever, or die trying

Yes, it is simply a nickname. Just like Peg is derived from Peggy (or more correctly Margaret but you get the point).

I'm gonna live forever, or die trying

I would say that its an assumption you are making on the name, NOT given in the problem. Bella can as well be another girls name.