BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Cavenglok

Question

A man named James takes a trip in a hot air balloon. No one found him since... until now. Maddened by the lack of communication with civilization, all he mutters is "It was the phoenix! It was the burning phoenix! The hole! The falling balloon! It was the phoenix!" The next day he is shot and a note is found in his shirt pocket. It says, "The phoenix aims for whoever finds the note first in every victim. You will always find the note." You, Detective Brian Dennis, are to solve these three things;

-Who murdered James?

-How do we protect the note finders?

-What is the "Phoenix?"

You may interview with witnesses. You will be informed of the next note finder every time there is one. You may do actions as the detective. Good luck.

The first note finder is a woman by the name of Kristina, James' girlfriend. She used to live in New York with her boyfriend.

• Answers 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I know I said I wasn't going to answer this one, but...

Where does he live? Is this a joke?

What does the pheonix look like?

Adding to these,

What is your name?

Why are you interested in helping to stop the Phoenix?

What is the Phoenix's motives in this case?

Do you know anything about the odd-even code?

Adding to these,

What is your name?

Why are you interested in helping to stop the Phoenix?

What is the Phoenix's motives in this case?

Do you know anything about the odd-even code?

while we're at it I have one or two:

Do you know anything of a Joe or Narcissa?

Do you know anything about this address (Joe's)?

Have you had any encounters with the Phoenix before?

Do you know any of these people?: Kristina, Mark, Tyler, Juliet, Morris, Jerry, etc if I forgot some.

while we're at it I have one or two:

Do you know anything of a Joe or Narcissa?

Do you know anything about this address (Joe's)?

Have you had any encounters with the Phoenix before?

Do you know any of these people?: Kristina, Mark, Tyler, Juliet, Morris, Jerry, etc if I forgot some.

This is also Pennstate's and Framm's answers.

To answer Framm's question, his name is Clark.

Clark: 1. I live in [Clark's address]. 2. A joke? If the Phoenix knew I was even joking about this, I wouldn't be here. 3. The phoenix is a serial killer mob. 4. I used to be a member of the Phoenix, but I never really liked it there. 5. Well, the Phoenix's leader, Maxwell Miller, hated the police ever since they arrested his parents. Rightfully, I tell you, the parents were selling drugs to kindergardeners. Anyway, ever since, they've been killing people off just to drive the police crazy. I understand that it's working. (he looks at your ruffled hair and messy office) 6. Ah, that code. Good code. You'll have to figure it on your own. Here's a hint. The odd words are listed first, and the even words are listed last. Good luck. 7. Joe and Narcissa are members of the Phoenix. Assistants of Maxwell. 8. Base of Phoenix. You're going to have to break in, though. 9. I told you, I'm an ex-member. 10. Oh. They're taken, aren't they. Sigh.. They were on the victim list. Oh, I have a package for you.

The package is a picture of a safe... and a note.

All right.

First, we need to read the note.

What number is the dial pointing to on the safe and what does the safe look like?

Find Maxwell's address, or any interesting background info on him.

All right.

What number is the dial pointing to on the safe and what does the safe look like?

Is anyone being shown in the photo, or is it just a photo of the safe?

What type of paper is it written on?

Is the note from Clark?

Check to see if there is invisible ink on the paper.

All right.

Is anyone being shown in the photo, or is it just a photo of the safe?

What type of paper is it written on?

Is the note from Clark?

Check to see if there is invisible ink on the paper.

The note says, "You're next, young man. Don't ruin our plan."

There are no numbers. I will post the drawing of the safe once I'm done.

Maxwell Miller is a criminal in the police records. :duh: He is known as a serial killer under the name of "Little Bird." Later, in adulthood, he changed his name to "Big Bird." As a matter of fact, he liked to leave dead birds on the ground painted red with the blood of the victim. He escaped, and is still being located.

No one is shown in the photo. As I said, I will post a picture.

Normal printing paper.

No. You find his handwriting on the envelope saying, "To Detective Dennis." (That's your "name," by the way) It is someone else's.

You check for invisible ink. To your delight, you find something. It says, "The, of, wings. phoenix, four. -Odeven"

As you can see, I really want you to solve that code.

Edited by Cavenglok

Maxwell Miller is a criminal in the police records. :duh: He is known as a serial killer under the name of "Little Bird." Later, in adulthood, he changed his name to "Big Bird." As a matter of fact, he liked to leave dead birds on the ground painted red with the blood of the victim. He escaped, and is still being located.

Normal printing paper.

No. You find his handwriting on the envelope saying, "To Detective Dennis." (That's your "name," by the way) It is someone else's.

You check for invisible ink. To your delight, you find something. It says, "The, of, wings. phoenix, four. -Odeven"

Maybe Clark is saying that he recieved this letter, and maybe he i s next.

J'ai une question. If this wasn't already asked, ask Kristina if she knows Clark.

I lied, there are more question...

1)was the "as you can see, I really want you to solve that code" in/on the letter? If so, was it in invisible ink?

2)Are Maxwell's parents dead, if so what killed them,? Did he?

3)Look in the database for a serial killer with the nickname odeven. If it is in the database, see if there is a reason why the name/ nickname/ last name closley resembles odd- even.

4)In the note( obviously it is mixed up, the invisble ink that is), is it saying either the four wings of pheonix, meaning he has four "right hand" men/women, or is it saying the wings of the pheonix four, meaning there are multiple pheonixs, meaning they have many connections?

Maybe Clark is saying that he recieved this letter, and maybe he i s next.

J'ai une question. If this wasn't already asked, ask Kristina if she knows Clark.

I lied, there are more question...

1)was the "as you can see, I really want you to solve that code" in/on the letter? If so, was it in invisible ink?

2)Are Maxwell's parents dead, if so what killed them,? Did he?

3)Look in the database for a serial killer with the nickname odeven. If it is in the database, see if there is a reason why the name/ nickname/ last name closley resembles odd- even.

4)In the note( obviously it is mixed up, the invisble ink that is), is it saying either the four wings of pheonix, meaning he has four "right hand" men/women, or is it saying the wings of the pheonix four, meaning there are multiple pheonixs, meaning they have many connections?

Brian Dennis doesn't know, but I do, and I tell you no. It was meant for Brian Dennis/you.

Kristina's dead, sorry. But after being called a stalker and a creep from an 80-year-old female neighbor, (sorry for the stereotype) you sneak into her contacts book and find no Clark.

No, the blue was a message from me, but the code itself was in invisible ink.

Maxwell killed his parents with a knife made out of glued beaks. Creepy guy, eh?

You search tirelessly, but find no Odeven. You do find an Nuevo Ano, but that means New Year, as in New Age, and that was in 1954. (I'm not sure if he exists, doubt he does)

You are so close, you got the even words mixed up. It's incorrect grammar, I'll tell you that.

Normal printing paper.

Is the invisible ink supposed to read four of the pheonix wings.? since the word wings has a period after it

Is it:

The wings four of Phoenix?

ot

The wings Phoenix of four?

Also, can you repost all of the notes that have been sent?

Since it seems like no one's gonna get it soon, I'll say it.

"The Phoenix of Four Wings."

Sorry if it doesn't make sense, but it soon will.

These are all the notes and their finders. If you want phone call riddles, I'll add them too on request.

Kristina's note (the one found on James): "The phoenix aims for whoever finds the note first in every victim. You will always find the note."

Juliet's note (the one found by Kristina's head): "Nice try, detective, but you let your guard down. You can save Juliet in the duel of Mercutio and Tybalt on March 10."

Your note (the one found in Clark's package) : "You're next, young man. Don't ruin our plan."

Ask Jerry, Debbie, and Edward about Clark.

PLease post each response, whether or not its relevant.

Thanks

Okay. For your first question, no, if you want to know check the spoiler I posted yesterday.

Jerry: Clark... Nope, don't know him.

Debbie: Clark? I can remember one, and it's the class clown of high school. He had long, blonde hair, he was tall and thin, and his eyes were kind of tilted. (this fits the description of the Clark that came up to you)

Edward: Clark... He's that no-good lowlife piece of dung that betrayed us. I used to think he was my friend. But then he found a way to frame me for something bad, and they kicked me out.

Just in case someone has not read the spoiler.

Do a little research on the Phoenix of four wings.

Also, do you mind explaining how the code works, or will we need to use it again?

I may have missed something, but it is not adding up for me.

asks Edward:

What did Clark frame you for?

Not the exact place, but we do know it's in the Phoenix HQ. How do you suggest we should open the safe?

We need to turn the dials so that the thick red lines match up to each other (If i'm interpreting this correctly)

Then all the other lines will match up to make 2 intersecting lines and one thick red line on a diagonal. This could be rotated any direction

We need to turn the dials so that the thick red lines match up to each other (If i'm interpreting this correctly)

Then all the other lines will match up to make 2 intersecting lines and one thick red line on a diagonal. This could be rotated any direction

Correct. But you have to know where the safe is. New message:

Caller:

My entry guards are very weak.

Attack them so that they will shriek.

Flee, then if you must, you may

Call out loudly, "Bombs Away!"

You can now enter the Phoenix HQ. The door is found unlocked.

Since you can "die" now, you can "restart" from a checkpoint. If you enter the HQ, and you die, you will have to restart and re-enter the HQ.

Correct. But you have to know where the safe is. New message:

Caller:

My entry guards are very weak.

Attack them so that they will shriek.

Flee, then if you must, you may

Call out loudly, "Bombs Away!"

You can now enter the Phoenix HQ. The door is found unlocked.

Since you can "die" now, you can "restart" from a checkpoint. If you enter the HQ, and you die, you will have to restart and re-enter the HQ.

Go in the HQ. See if Maxwell is there, if so, bring him to the police station for questioning

Go in the HQ. See if Maxwell is there, if so, bring him to the police station for questioning

There is a sealed safe, but you can't find a way to get in. You recognize the safe as the one in the picture. However, it won't rotate.

You find two guards guarding the entry. They point guns at you and force you to run away.

Edited by Cavenglok

Let's see what yelling "Bombs Away" will do.

Also, can you answer my last post, please?

I agree. Talk to my wrist like I have a device on it, and say "BOMBS AWAY!"

If that doesn't work, I would run away and come back with backup, a warrant for probable cause, and a gun for myself if I don't have one preferably a hand gun to hide it from them.