BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

What simple operation can you do to the number 0 to equal to the number 1... so that if you did the same operation as before and applied it to the number 2 you would still end up with the number 1?

16 answers to this question

Same thing you do to any number to make it equal 1...

2^0, 0^0... any number ^0 = 1

What simple operation can you do to the number 0 to equal to the number 1... so that if you did the same operation as before and applied it to the number 2 you would still end up with the number 1?

0^0 is NOT 1

it is undefined. 0^0 = 0/0 = undefined. However 0/0 does have a variety of values (negative infinity, 0, infinity, complex plane infinity of any angle, or any number on the complex plane if you reverse multiplication-by-0 rules)

anyway, all that side, raising something to the power of 0 means dividing it by itself... yes, that would be 1, for everything EXCEPT 0

0^0 is NOT 1

it is undefined. 0^0 = 0/0 = undefined. However 0/0 does have a variety of values (negative infinity, 0, infinity, complex plane infinity of any angle, or any number on the complex plane if you reverse multiplication-by-0 rules)

anyway, all that side, raising something to the power of 0 means dividing it by itself... yes, that would be 1, for everything EXCEPT 0

Google says you are wrong. Type Zero to the Zero Power, and its result is one.

But all kidding aside, it depends on who you speak to, some believe 0^0 = 1 and some don't. I am talking about scholars and mathematicians (sp?)

Edited by PolishNorbi

When you take any number and raise it to the zero power, the answer is one. When you take zero and raise it to any power the answer is zero. So... it is possible for zero to the zero power have a variety of values. It would depend on who you ask. Does anyone have anything else to have on this argument?

...I guess I should have changed the original question. Here is the revised question.

What simple operation can you do to the number 10 to equal to the number 1... so that if you did the same operation as before and applied it to the number 2 you would still end up with the number 1?

Yes I do.

0^0 = 0/0

that's a fact. You cant dispute that.

So it's whatever you think 0/0 is

it could be 1:

1*0 = 0

so 0/0 = 1

or it could be 5

5*0 = 0

so 0/0 = 5

lol. Many say that 0/0 is infinity. That's probably also true. It can also be 0.

But 0^0 is 0 to the first power divided by 0 to the first power... or 0/0

it could also be 0 squared divided by 0 squared... or 0/0

etc. You should read up on powers and exponents before arguing against that. I am correct when I say that 0^0 is 0/0. However, what is 0/0, that is the question :D

yep bonanova, 0^0 would be 7 if 0/0 also is 7 :D I did the exact same thing in the topic identical to this in the "Other" section, showing how 0/0 can be anything if you use the multiplicative (or whatever its called) property

nx/x = n

n0/0 = n

0/0 = n

or written another way:

7*0 = 0

reverse it: 7 = 0/0

however to reverse it, you actually have to divide both sides by 0

so it comes out to be:

0/0 = 0/0

which isnt much help :D

lol. But yes, if 0/0 was 7, then 0^0 would be as well ;D