BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

A man parked his motorcycle at a mini mall at 5:30. He went inside and had dinner and shopped for new haedphones. when he came out, his motor cycle was squashed and there was a car on top of it. Half of the motorcycle stuck out of the back tire of the car. The man was angry at the driver of the car and yelled insults at him until he realized the car driver was his coworker, Bill. The man, Greg, remembered that he and Bill had an argument, and Greg thought that Bill wanted to get even with him. Bill said that he did not run over his car on purpose, "When I heard a crunch under the tire, I stopped the car quickly." The police came and was told all this information. THey knew who was lying.

Who was lying? how did the police know? This is easy! :thumbsup: most 5th graders can solve this.

5 answers to this question

well, im not in fifth grade but...

if Bill stopped "quickly" as soon as he heard the crunch, half the motorcycle would then be sticking out of the FRONT of the car. If it's sticking out the back, then Bill obviously waited until he had totally ran over the motorcycle completely and THEN stopped. Of course, this could be challenged if Bill was backing out and the half sticking out was remained still okay. But it said his motorcycle was squashed, so I'm guessing my theory is right,

I don't think there's enough information for this problem. The man who ran over the motorcycle could have been backing into the space (hence, not seeing the motorcycle) so teekalya's theory isn't correct. He stopped suddenly when his back tire hit the motorcycle.

Also, the motorcycle could have been squashed before his friend pulled into the space (and he didn't see it). The man was in the minimall a long time eating dinner and buying headphones...

Edited by seg9585

Bill is lying. Even if he was backing up he would have heard the "crunch" when the back bumper hit the bike causing it to fall to the ground where he could then "squish" it. If the bike was somehow on the ground already Bill would have heard the "crunch" the moment he hit the bike not halfway along it. If Bill had his stereo on loud he would have never heard a "crunch". Bill would have also felt his car going up (like you are driving up a curb) and not just a crunch.

Could it be that the coworker is lying, because he said as soon as I heard a crunch of the tire, I stopped the car, but the motorcycle was halfway outside the truck? Therefore, he would have to have stopped his truck much later then he stated.

P.S.(I'm an 8th grader...5th grade, 8th grade, same thing :lol:)

Edited by abhisk