BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Guest Lost in space

Question

I go to friends/relatives houses and hardly see one or two of the dwellers therein anymore; WoW has been taking over their lives. I thought a year would give them a chance to get over it. Looks like the eager wait for bigger and better weapons, stronger armor, poisons and lord knows what else, is making the game too addictive IMO. WoW wiki even has addiction details on it's site regarding net addiction and game addiction.

I'm wondering if there are BrainDenizens that are facing this dilemma, have dealt with it and are over it. I'll add that if I had time for the game, I'd most likely join a Guild (of awesome BrainDenizens of course), and play once a week, but more than that does not interest me.

Any current or Ex WoW addicts have a view on the games 'pull'

11 answers to this question

I'm seeing it as people getting drawn in and sucked under, many are spat out again. My daughter got my nephew hooked, and then he hooked his cousin, well they are all cousins. Fortunately my daughter saw the antisocial side and was not into the serious raids and butt kicking, nor wa one of my nephew's though joins up in raid thingies once a week - my other nephew, just started back to uni after giving it up for a year due to being hooked.

IDK..

Should accss time be limited - parental control?

Shoould it come with a warning?

Should 'help/info' be made easily available for those that are sucked in (addicted)?

I was always curious about the whole WoW craze. I've been tempted to try the game but the main thing is I don't really want to play a game if I have to pay a monthly fee to do so. I do love RPG's, though the MMO side of the spectrum has never really been my thing.

I was always curious about the whole WoW craze. I've been tempted to try the game but the main thing is I don't really want to play a game if I have to pay a monthly fee to do so. I do love RPG's, though the MMO side of the spectrum has never really been my thing.

I've enjoyed RPGs in the past, but lately I haven't felt I've had the time to devote to such things, so that's one strike against it for me. Also, I agree with Marth and MMOs just don't interest me (even more so when they require a constant influx of money to continue :rolleyes: ). If I paid the subscription, I might feel the obligation to actually try to get my money's worth out of it and play the darn thing (and if I joined some sort of clan or other, I'd feel like I ought to help out in raids and things). None of those are things that interest me personally. (And it definitely sounds like all the precursors to becoming habit-forming.)

I like to play games on my time and maybe only for brief periods and WoW doesn't seem like the sort of game that just lets you jump on and play for a half-hour or an hour and then leave. If you played like that, it be a horrendous waste of money and you wouldn't get anywhere. I feel that it completely saps your freedom to play games on your terms, so I've never gotten the bug. I also hang out with a crowd that tends to have a rather withering opinion of WoW, so there's no pressure to participate and I don't really have any horror stories to tell like unreality seems to have.

Of course, WoW is the most wildly successful MMO in existence right now so Blizzard has a great marketing model, but I do think that it really does lend credence to the additive argument. I personally would stay far away from it since there are better ways to waste your time. (At least here on BD, you can have interesting and thought-provoking conversations and the addictive quality permits shorter periods of pooping on to see what's happening and then putting it down (though unreality's 5000 posts do suggest otherwise! :lol: ).)

I played WoW for a decently long time. I do not regret that decision. However, I also do not regret cancelling my account. It's a fun game, with a lot of good points, but MAN, it takes up a lot of time.

I know what the addiction feels like. It happened to me with Runescape from when I was 10-12. Literally, I'd come home from school, start playing, and wouldn't get off until two or three in the morning. I don't really regret playing, though. I met a lot of awesome people that I'm still in touch with today (haha, I get to tell my Facebook wife I've known her for 1/3 of my life, and it freaks her out :P), it taught me how to type, it.. was just awesome. Granted, the graphics sucked, the censors were meh, and the quests were 'aight.. WoW is supposedly this awesome x a few thousand. While it was fun, I'm not convinced it's a chapter of my life I want to repeat. Tbh, I don't think you can really get into it without it happening. =/

I was thoroughly addicted to WoW's predecessor, EverQuest (aka EverCrack). Games like these are equal parts Facebook and Las Vegas Slot Machine. Random rewards, with an implied promise that you will win big if you just play long enough, and a social networking service wrapped in a sexy fantasy environment. But that's just a very basic look at the appeal.

When I was kicking the habit, I ran across a thesis paper on the subject that was just brilliant. Unfortunately, I've since lost the link and have yet to find it again. It detailed the mechanisms and biochemistry in the brain that are activated and how they result in addiction. If I manage to locate it, I will definitely share. It was positively fascinating.