BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

The Short Ones

rookie1ja

polar bears are only in the northern hemisphere.

the north pole is no longer covered in ice due to global warming, so it is nothing but sea water with a few icebergs floating by.

and the only drugged out hippie that would build a house in the north pole would be santa claus; but he's a cool hippie.

also, while the geographic north pole does not change (AFAIK), the magnetic NP changes frequently, so it's impossible to "build" a house there that's going to remain there for a long period of time; hence, I think the question refers to the geo NP.

The fact that it's water over the north pole certainly makes it a whole lot easier to build a house there that can easily adjust it's location by floating in the appropriate direction as needed.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Short Ones - Back to the Logic Puzzles

• Why can't a man living in the USA be buried in Canada?

• Is it legal for a man in California to marry his widow's sister? Why?

Setting aside the why you would bury a living man.... a man living in the USA can't be buried in Canada because he would have to be physically in Canada to be buried in Canada - but we said he's in the USA...

I could be worng - but I think that the law says that a man missing for 7 years can be declared legally dead - hence his wife would be considered a widow. If he turns up alive after 7 years, is the wife still a widow? If so, he could marry her sister.

or polygamy

These are the "crazy" type of answers (EDIT: MY style of answers ). Please feel free to disregard them to your will

A: Well, he could, presuming he was buried alive. So, theoretically, it is possible, however, legally it is not (cos of the torture claims and such)

A: The "widow" could have been a widow with someone else. The question does not specify whether the man was actually married to the widow.

• A man builds a house rectangular in shape. All sides have southern exposure. A big bear walks by, what color is the bear? Why? (similar to the Bear riddle in the section Einstein's Riddles)

A: Well, the house could be large... and by large, i mean half the world size large so it would cover the area of the north hemispere and most of the USA. However, when a bear appears outside your "house", it could be a grizzly, and so therefore its brown. Also, keeping with the "normal" answer, Polar bears arent always white. If temperature allows (like in the rest of the world apart from the poles), Mould could grow on the bear, and so, they could appear green. ALSO, polar bears have pink skin. So, if someone went to the North Pole and shaved a Polar Bear, it would be a pink bear (and IT(EDIT2: IT, not i >.<) would have died soon after because of the cold)

• If there are 3 apples and you take away 2, how many do you have?

A: Depends if you own the apples to start off with. If you owned the 3 apples to start off with, you still have 3 apples. Also, if you had another million apples that weren't mentioned, you'd still have them, but they arent mentioned, so you have X+2 or X+3 apples, where X is the number of apples that you have, but the question does not mention.

• How far can a dog run into the woods?

A: He can run in as far in as he INTENDS to run into. Sure, he can run half-way in, but then there could be a Subforest in the forest and to run into the Subforest, you need to go halfway in further, and so on. Basically, just dont go out of the forest and you'll do fine.

• One big hockey fan claimed to be able to say the score before any game. How did he do it?

A: Taking this as One big hockey fan claimed to able to say the ENDING score before any game. How did he do it?... Well, anyone could, really. Its just a matter of if your correct. ANYONE is able to say the ending score. They just aren't always right

• You can start a fire if you have alcohol, petrol, kerosene, paper, candle, coke, a full matchbox and a piece of cotton wool. What is the first thing you light?

A:You COULD start a fire with those items, but i prefer not to have those items as i could do better with a cigarette lighter (it does not actually specify whether you had those items and you had to start a fire with them)

• Why do Chinese men eat more rice than Japanese men? (Edit: Why do Chinese men eat more rice than Japanese men do?)

A: No other view here. I cant think of one

• What word describes a woman who does not have all her fingers on one hand?

A: Deformed or whatever. You could call her anything. Just that some things are immoral and offensive. You could also call her a Woman (duh) and forget about the finger thing.

polar bears are only in the northern hemisphere.

the north pole is no longer covered in ice due to global warming, so it is nothing but sea water with a few icebergs floating by.

and the only drugged out hippie that would build a house in the north pole would be santa claus; but he's a cool hippie.

also, while the geographic north pole does not change (AFAIK), the magnetic NP changes frequently, so it's impossible to "build" a house there that's going to remain there for a long period of time;

hence, I think the question refers to the geo NP.

Why is there debate about this?

The OP says four southern exposures.

Only at the Geo NP is this the case.

Is it legal for a man in California to marry his widow's sister? Why?

Okay, for those of you who dont get it:

No he cant because he is dead.

A Widow is a woman whos husband has died.

So simply, a dead man cant marry is wifs sister. =]

**sorry if its all spelt wrong...I have really bad spelling lol**

• 5 weeks later...

I have an idea for the guy who marrys his widows sister...

He pretends to commit suicide, then goes into hiding, gets plastic surgery, papers, and whatnot, THEN marrys her sister. To me, it just sounds like a waste of money and time.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, he wouldn't want to be buried while he was living, but if he died he could obviously be buried anywhere. But technically anybody can bury anyone else anywhere they liked. It just boils down to the fact that you don't normally bury people who are still alive.

It wouldn't be possible, because if his wife was a widow, it would mean that he was dead. California's law probably states that only people who are still alive could marry.

• A man builds a house rectangular in shape. All sides have southern exposure. A big bear walks by, what color is the bear? Why? (similar to the Bear riddle in the section Einstein's Riddles)

Well his house would then be at the north pole, and I don't know what colour bears are at the north pole. Maybe they are grizzlies and they are brown, or they could be polar bears and be white. But I think polar bears are only at the antarctic, I dunno. So I would say the bear is brown.

Well if you took and kept the two, then you obviously have two apples, but if you removed the two apples, then there is one left, although you don't necessarily have to have that one in your hand.

Well he could run as far as he could while he is farther from the other side than he is from the side from whence he came. If he is actually farther from the side from where he came than he was from the opposite side, it would mean that he was actually running out of the woods. Or something like that.

• One big hockey fan claimed to be able to say the score before any game. How did he do it?

I haven't got a clue. Maybe he wrote down all possible scores, or something. Or maybe, if you get really technical, you can argue that "what he did" was to claim to be able to say the score before the game, so how he did it (ie to "claim") was to open his mouth.

• You can start a fire if you have alcohol, petrol, kerosene, paper, candle, coke, a full matchbox and a piece of cotton wool. What is the first thing you light?

You will obviously first have to light a match, and afterwards anything that is flammable.

• Why do Chinese men eat more rice than Japanese men? (Edit: Why do Chinese men eat more rice than Japanese men do?)

There are more Chinese men than Japanese men? Or if you are measuring the average, then maybe rice isn't in the Japanese culture? Or maybe Japanese people don't even eat rice at all? I really dunno.

"Normal" lol Well I would guess that if she had all her fingers on one hand, then she would have any on the other, meaning she was disabled, and "abnormal".

1) Not a good idea to bury the living.

2)Dead Men usually tend not to re-marry.

3) I have no idea why one would want to build a house in the north pole (brrrrr) but any bears he met there would be White!

4) You take 2, You have 2!

5) Lil tricky. Just as far before he starts running out of it?

6) Start of the game score is the easiest to predict! 0-0!

7) A match, of course!

A whole LOT more of those Chinese men in the world!

9) Normal. Who wants 10 fingers on ONE hand???

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If a woman has 9 fingers on one hand and 1 on the other, she fits the description of the teaser, but is definitely not normal.

Also, if "all" of her fingers only consisted of 5 fingers, you could call her an amputee.

So I don't think "normal" is the right answer... at least not the only one.

Can you answer my question? How many cookies can you eat on an empty stomach?

Your answer would be one cookie. Once you have that one cookie, you no longer have an empty stomach.

• 2 weeks later...

The Short Ones - solutions

• Why should a living man be buried?

• No, it is not legal to get married if you are dead.

• The bear is white since the house is built on the North Pole.

• If you take 2 apples, than you have of course 2.

• The dog can run into the woods only to the half of the wood – than it would run out of the woods.

• The score before any hockey game should be 0:0, shouldn’t it?

• A match, of course.

• There are more Chinese men than Japanese men.

• Normal – I wouldn’t be very happy if I had all my fingers (10) on one hand.

hmmmmmmmm....... thats correct of corse ;)

Your answer would be one cookie. Once you have that one cookie, you no longer have an empty stomach.

Actually one bite of one cookie. Unless you swallowed the entire cookie in one bite.

• The dog can run into the woods only to the half of the wood – than it would run out of the woods.

• A match, of course.

Anyone could say "the score" before a game.

;)

Actually one bite of one cookie. Unless you swallowed the entire cookie in one bite.

Swallowing the entire cookie is not out of the question to be honest.

And if we were to get technical, your stomach is never "truly" empty in the first place. Just depends on the resolution we want to go.

do?)]Did a legression anarysis to get lid of prior popuration base-lates. In Japan, not honored to eat who feeds off Rassie,Timmy's dog.

• A match, of course.

Hmm. These are all oldies but goodies. The polar bear comments were less than stellar, though, so I'll share some info about them.

Polar bears are indeed white or yellowish. Those are their apparent colors. Although their hairs are individually translucent while young, solar and oil stains eventually mar them. Polar bears are not translucent. They are not see through.

Also, their skin is black, which is obvious, if you study a picture of one.

And, as a side note, they are not nearly as friendly as they would appear to be.