BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

The Short Ones

rookie1ja

The Short Ones - Back to the Logic Puzzles

• Why can't a man living in the USA be buried in Canada?

• Is it legal for a man in California to marry his widow's sister? Why?

• A man builds a house rectangular in shape. All sides have southern exposure. A big bear walks by, what color is the bear? Why? (similar to the Bear riddle in the section Einstein's Riddles)

• If there are 3 apples and you take away 2, how many do you have?

• How far can a dog run into the woods?

• One big hockey fan claimed to be able to say the score before any game. How did he do it?

• You can start a fire if you have alcohol, petrol, kerosene, paper, candle, coke, a full matchbox and a piece of cotton wool. What is the first thing you light?

• Why do Chinese men eat more rice than Japanese men? (Edit: Why do Chinese men eat more rice than Japanese men do?)

• What word describes a woman who does not have all her fingers on one hand?

This old topic is locked since it was answered many times. You can check solution in the Spoiler below.

Pls visit New Puzzles section to see always fresh brain teasers.

The Short Ones - solutions

• Why should a living man be buried?

• No, it is not legal to get married if you are dead.

• The bear is white since the house is built on the North Pole.

• If you take 2 apples, than you have of course 2.

• The dog can run into the woods only to the half of the wood – than it would run out of the woods.

• The score before any hockey game should be 0:0, shouldn’t it?

• A match, of course.

• There are more Chinese men than Japanese men.

• Normal – I wouldn’t be very happy if I had all my fingers (10) on one hand.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is because Chinese men don't eat Japanese men. They way the sentence is worded sounds like Chinese people eat both rice and Japanese men. It's a misplaced modifier or something.

I think it is because Chinese men don't eat Japanese men. They way the sentence is worded sounds like Chinese people eat both rice and Japanese men. It's a misplaced modifier or something.

I had this thought as well, I think it's a funnier (and perfectly valid) answer than the one given

Grr...8/9 I didn't get the dog one. And what is the tenth question?

I don't know if you would count it as a question or not, but technically there are 11 questions because for the southern facing house problem and for the married widow problem, it says why? after the original question, which again is technically another question

Why do Chinese men eat more rice than Japanese men do?

would be more correct in this case.

What color is the bear? Black as night.

Since the North Pole is over water, not land, both the bear and the house will be submerged. 13,410 ft (4087 m) deep, in fact.

His fur isn't actually white, but translucent. His skin is black. And that far under water, the translucent fur won't have any light to reflect.

Oh yeah! So this question is inaccurate as the exact North Pole has water! And you could argue that the sentence meant the North Magnetic Pole and not the North Geographic pole but the N.M. Pole (believe it or not) is near the South Geographic Pole (and vice versa)!

• 2 weeks later...

Since the North Pole is over water, not land, both the bear and the house will be submerged. 13,410 ft (4087 m) deep, in fact.

His fur isn't actually white, but translucent. His skin is black. And that far under water, the translucent fur won't have any light to reflect.

I would hope that a man building a house in water would be bright enough to not build it 13,410 ft deep in that water. In fact, he might be smart enough to use some sort of pontoon system so the house can float. Likewise, I would expect the bear to be swimming near the surface, but I suppose that then it is not walking -- though the doggy paddle looks sort of like walking in the water (I have no clue what stroke a bear uses).

Then again, this might be the same man that wants to be buried in Canada while still alive in the US and then marry his sister-in-law after he dies. If he keeps stealing apples or eating Japanese men, he'll be dead sooner than he thinks.

• 2 weeks later...
The Short Ones - Back to the Logic Puzzles

• Why can't a man living in the USA be buried in Canada?

• Is it legal for a man in California to marry his widow's sister? Why?

Setting aside the why you would bury a living man.... a man living in the USA can't be buried in Canada because he would have to be physically in Canada to be buried in Canada - but we said he's in the USA...

I could be worng - but I think that the law says that a man missing for 7 years can be declared legally dead - hence his wife would be considered a widow. If he turns up alive after 7 years, is the wife still a widow? If so, he could marry her sister.

the finger question is ambiguous:

[All of [her fingers on one hand]]

[[All of her fingers] on one hand]

the second is the (intended) absurd reading.

the rice question is also ambiguous because of the ellipsis.

• 1 month later...

The North pole (magnetic and geographic) are covered in snow and ice. It is quite reasonable to assume a house could exist there without it being underwater.

Polar bears don't exist as far north as the geographic north pole (I'm not sure about the magnetic one though). However, if a bear were to walk past the house, it is also reasonable to assume it would be a polar bear, as they are the closest to the region and the only ones that could naturally survive the climate.

Still, I have to wonder what kind of a whacked-out druggie would build a house at the north pole. And who knows what colour bear he thinks he sees?

polar bears are only in the northern hemisphere.

the north pole is no longer covered in ice due to global warming, so it is nothing but sea water with a few icebergs floating by.

and the only drugged out hippie that would build a house in the north pole would be santa claus; but he's a cool hippie.

also, while the geographic north pole does not change (AFAIK), the magnetic NP changes frequently, so it's impossible to "build" a house there that's going to remain there for a long period of time; hence, I think the question refers to the geo NP.

• 2 weeks later...

The North pole (magnetic and geographic) are covered in snow and ice. It is quite reasonable to assume a house could exist there without it being underwater.

Polar bears don't exist as far north as the geographic north pole (I'm not sure about the magnetic one though). However, if a bear were to walk past the house, it is also reasonable to assume it would be a polar bear, as they are the closest to the region and the only ones that could naturally survive the climate.

Still, I have to wonder what kind of a whacked-out druggie would build a house at the north pole. And who knows what colour bear he thinks he sees?

That whacked out druggie also runs around in a fuzzy red and white outfit and insists that flying reindeer pull his sleigh and wait for him while he sneaks into people's houses through their chimneys.