BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Find a closed formula to price this fixed odds bet. I want to win N if over the next M days, the P has a high-low range (exceeding/not exceeding) Q points. For example: I get $50 if over the next 5 days the FTSE100 has a high-low range exceeding 2 points. For example, if the FTSE100 has a range of low=5,251.41 and high=5,253.94 over the next 5 days, I get $50 (because high – low = 2.53 > 2).

1 answer to this question

your example makes little sense, so it's hard to judge exactly what it is you want.

what i think your asking for is this.

you want the odds of P high - P low being more than Q over a given number of days, M.

well the first question would be, is P high - P low dependant on M, or not?

if not, then the P values will act like a coin toss. getting P high - P low on the 4th day,

compared to on the 5th day, would be no different. here then, you would most likely want it such that if

P high -P low > Q on any of the M days, you win the bet.

this would be the 1- (probability of P high -P low > Q on any particular day to the power of m).

if however P high - P low is dependant on M, then you want it such that P high - P low > Q exactly on the Mth day.

if this is the case then i'll need more info. (does the probability increase or decrease with M? by how much?)

Edited by phillip1882