BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

dyalDragon

Question

There is this guy that lives in my building. He leaves for work before me so I never see him leave, but we always get home at the same time and ride the elevator up together; he to the fifth floor and I to the sixth. Yesterday it stormed all day, like cats and dogs I tell ya, and when we rode the elevator in the afternoon the guy pushed the button for the eighth floor.

"Visiting a friend?" I asked.

To which he replied, "Nope, I live in apartment 803."

So why does he normally get off at the fifth floor??

---as the title says, not my riddle, and if you have seen it before let a page or so go by before answering so that those who haven't can try and figure it out :D

7 answers to this question

In addition to being short, he must not be very bright. If he rides the elevator with you everyday, why doesn't he get off on 6 with you and save a flight of steps? Be careful when paraphrasing an old riddle to make it sound different. Sometimes the added details make subtle differences that make the solution less logical.

In addition to being short, he must not be very bright. If he rides the elevator with you everyday, why doesn't he get off on 6 with you and save a flight of steps? Be careful when paraphrasing an old riddle to make it sound different. Sometimes the added details make subtle differences that make the solution less logical.

ummm... maybe he is just proud and wants to push the button all by himself :huh:

...you're right though, should have been me on the 5th and him on the 6th duh.gif , might have caught that myself if it had gotten to someone who hadn't seen it already happy.gif(i was also driving and posting at the same time so not really concentrating on the riddle, but don't tell MrsP she will yell at me!!)

ummm... maybe he is just proud and wants to push the button all by himself :huh:

...you're right though, should have been me on the 5th and him on the 6th duh.gif , might have caught that myself if it had gotten to someone who hadn't seen it already happy.gif(i was also driving and posting at the same time so not really concentrating on the riddle, but don't tell MrsP she will yell at me!!)

:offtopic: She's not the only one! YELLING AT YOU!!!! Tsk tsk, bad dD! :angry: You really ought to know better. :(

Of course if we really wanted to get nit-picky about it... Why doesn't the guy just ask someone to push the 8 button instead of acting all immature and embarrassed, or better yet carry a cane or one of those extending batons... It would be much more impressive if he were to act human and adapt to the situation instead of letting his height cause so much extra trouble for him

At the same time... Maybe he does have some sort of tool in his pocket that would allow him to press the correct button, but he would rather walk the stairs so he can get the exercise necessary to help combat some degenerative muscular or skeletal disease which people of smaller stature are more prone to suffer from... But on days when it rains his arthritis or <insert other painful condition here > is much worse and so that is why he pushes the button for 8...

Hmmmmm... Or maybe it doesn't really matter and we should just try to enjoy solving riddles in the word puzzle section and save the logic critique for the math/logic puzzle section :D