BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

unreality

Question

There are ten Super-Self-Cooling light bulbs in a room. To prevent loss of unnecessary heat energy, they are specifically designed to instantly cool themselves down when turned off. In fact they try to cool themselves when turned on as well, to make sure their circuit doesn't break, and the bulbs are made of a resilient glass that can't shatter.

You are in a room with a closed door leading into another room where these ten bulbs are. You can control the ten light bulbs from the room you are currently in. You have to be able to tell which bulb corresponds with which dial.

Yes, dial. Fortunately for you, each Super-Self-Cooling lightbulb isn't a simple on-off switch. It's a dial, with settings from 0 to 4 to level the brightness. Yep, 5 levels of brightness... since there are ten bulbs, it should be easy, right? Wrong. Not that it would be easy anyway, with 5 settings for 10 bulbs, but there's more: The circuitry is screwed up. One of the dials is useless, and another dial controls its own light bulb as well as the light bulb that used to correspond with the useless dial- so one dial controls nothing and another dial controls two light bulbs at once. There are two cases like that! Two useless dials, two doubled-up dials. There is no way to figure out beforehand which dials are useless or not, all the rewiring problems are above the other room.

Since your job is to figure out how each of the 8 working dials with 5 setting levels affect the 10 bulbs, what do you do?

At first I thought there was a logical answer, and maybe there is. But I think I made it too hard lol

But there's one thing never mentioned in the riddle- just do them one at a time, leaving the others off, and checking the other room. It never says you can't go back and forth between the rooms! :D

Yes, this particular one may be impossible (if you're looking for an actual logical answer), but I think it's a good idea to make riddles off of. Maybe I'll actually be able to make a possible one with it, hehe (who knows, maybe this riddle is actually possible, but I doubt it)

4 answers to this question

There are ten Super-Self-Cooling light bulbs in a room. To prevent loss of unnecessary heat energy, they are specifically designed to instantly cool themselves down when turned off. In fact they try to cool themselves when turned on as well, to make sure their circuit doesn't break, and the bulbs are made of a resilient glass that can't shatter.

You are in a room with a closed door leading into another room where these ten bulbs are. You can control the ten light bulbs from the room you are currently in. You have to be able to tell which bulb corresponds with which dial.

Yes, dial. Fortunately for you, each Super-Self-Cooling lightbulb isn't a simple on-off switch. It's a dial, with settings from 0 to 4 to level the brightness. Yep, 5 levels of brightness... since there are ten bulbs, it should be easy, right? Wrong. Not that it would be easy anyway, with 5 settings for 10 bulbs, but there's more: The circuitry is screwed up. One of the dials is useless, and another dial controls its own light bulb as well as the light bulb that used to correspond with the useless dial- so one dial controls nothing and another dial controls two light bulbs at once. There are two cases like that! Two useless dials, two doubled-up dials. There is no way to figure out beforehand which dials are useless or not, all the rewiring problems are above the other room.

Since your job is to figure out how each of the 8 working dials with 5 setting levels affect the 10 bulbs, what do you do?

At first I thought there was a logical answer, and maybe there is. But I think I made it too hard lol

But there's one thing never mentioned in the riddle- just do them one at a time, leaving the others off, and checking the other room. It never says you can't go back and forth between the rooms! :D

Yes, this particular one may be impossible (if you're looking for an actual logical answer), but I think it's a good idea to make riddles off of. Maybe I'll actually be able to make a possible one with it, hehe (who knows, maybe this riddle is actually possible, but I doubt it)

I believe there is no solution if playing by the normal light bulb riddles. There are only 5 possible settings that I can think of because you removed all other distinguishable characteristics other than off, 1, 2, 3, and 4. Four settings for ten bulbs cannot be solved in one trip. In fact, I don't believe it can be solved in two trips. And with 3 trips, it's too easy.