BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

In the crime branch of a certain country, The head summoned one of his junior inspectors james it a suspected murder crime scene in the living room of a certain house.

Unfortunately the inspector was very lazy and did not go there at all, instead he got some information from another officer. But when reporting, he said.."I went there at the crime scene, and found a big mess. There was stain of blood all over the floor. Everything in the room was a mess. The table clock is broken and stopped at 3.00pm. The body was lying face up and knife-injury is in the belly. It is clear that the vitim died by over bleeding. Apparently, the victim was reading the novel "old man and the sea", as I found its page 45 and 46 is opened on table. Then I tried to find some fingerprints of the killer but I didn't find any. Then I came back."

The boss said ,"james, you are lying and so fired".

How the boss found out James is lying?

17 answers to this question

Ummm .. 45 & 46 are two sides of the same page. Hence Inspector was lying.

Though, am not convinced with my own logic .. what if, it was a pirated novel and the story started from the second page, right after dedication. So the usual blank page becomes 1 and so on. In this case, 45 and 46 can be on 2 different pages. Infact, one of the 1 cent novel I bought in Thailand, starts just like that. More so, its full of spelling mistakes and grammatical errors :) ..

Maybe, the man got one such pirated novel. He got frustrated and killed himself! Mystery solved.

The event had happened before 1952. The inspector was lying because the book "old man and the sea" was not published at the time :P

There are many books where the odd page is on the left and the even page number on the right, though not sure about the book.

The table clock is broken and stopped at 3.00pm.

A broken analog clock (or a working analog clock for that matter) won't tell you whether it's a.m. or p.m. and a broken digital clock will not display a time (unless you consider one that lost power and restored as "broken" but it would display a flashing time that keeps moving or stays at 12:00, it would not be stopped at 3:00 pm)

In the crime branch of a certain country, The head summoned one of his junior inspectors james it a suspected murder crime scene in the living room of a certain house.

Unfortunately the inspector was very lazy and did not go there at all, instead he got some information from another officer. But when reporting, he said.."I went there at the crime scene, and found a big mess. There was stain of blood all over the floor. Everything in the room was a mess. The table clock is broken and stopped at 3.00pm. The body was lying face up and knife-injury is in the belly. It is clear that the vitim died by over bleeding. Apparently, the victim was reading the novel "old man and the sea", as I found its page 45 and 46 is opened on table. Then I tried to find some fingerprints of the killer but I didn't find any

1: he can't tell if its 3 p.m. or a.m.

2: most books have even numbers on the left.

3: He can't tell if the fingerprints that he found were of the killer of victim or someone else, and there can't be no fingerprints.

1: he can't tell if its 3 p.m. or a.m.

2: most books have even numbers on the left.

3: He can't tell if the fingerprints that he found were of the killer of victim or someone else, and there can't be no fingerprints.

Well since James only heard about the scene from another officer who undoubtably hadn't told him every excruciating detail, most of the the things he mentioned would only be guesses. A few of his facts had to differ from reality, and his boss probably had other reports to compare it with. In his boss's mind, either he was wrong or everyone else was.

Easy.

Cannot have the book open to 45 and 46 the odd page is to the right not left therefore it is 46 and 47 - We know it is standard by the Title.

Edited by TySim

Easy.

Cannot have the book open to 45 and 46 the odd page is to the right not left therefore it is 46 and 47 - We know it is standard by the Title.

You're assuming it's a standard english book. In china (along with many other plaecs), odd pages are on the left, and even on the right