BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

I was looking through our family photo album with a friend recently. I pointed to a photo and said "brothers and sisters I have none, but that man's father is my father's son". My friend (being no fool) immediately said "it's your son, that's an old one". "Then how about the fella in this picture", I said, he's the only son of the only brother of the only aunt of my father's only niece". My friend thought for a while then said "it's you, and it was taken a good few years ago by the look of it". "All right then smart a**, see this lady" I said pointing to another picture, "she is the only niece of the father of the only cousin of the uncle of the only grandson of the brother of my cousin's mother". Can you tell me who she is?

11 answers to this question

"she is the only niece of the father of the only cousin of the uncle of the only grandson of the brother of my cousin's mother."

cousin's mother = my aunt,

aunt's brother = father or uncle

But from previous part:

"he's the only son of the only brother of the only aunt of my father's only niece"

The aunt has only one brother, so aunt's brother = father.

only grandson of father = my son

uncle of my son = my brother

only cousin of my brother = my only cousin

father of my only cousin = my aunt's husband

only niece of my aunt's husband = my sister or my cousin's cousin (not directly related)

Your only female cousin.

Working backwards:

Your cousins mother is your aunt.

"she is the only niece of the father of the only cousin of the uncle of the only grandson of the brother of my aunt"

Your aunt only has one brother (from earlier in the question) and it is your father.

"she is the only niece of the father of the only cousin of the uncle of the only grandson of my father"

The only grandson of your father must be your son (since we know you have one).

"she is the only niece of the father of the only cousin of the uncle of my son"

The uncle of your son is your cousin.

"she is the only niece of the father of the only cousin of my cousin"

If your cousin only has one cousin, it must be you!

"she is the only niece of my father"

Your father's niece is your cousin.

"she is my cousin"

From the information in the question we can know that you are your father's only child and you have exactly one son and an unknown number of daughters. Your father has 2 sisters and no brothers. One of those sisters has no children and the other has exactly one daughter and at least one son.

Your only female cousin.

Working backwards:

Your cousins mother is your aunt.

"she is the only niece of the father of the only cousin of the uncle of the only grandson of the brother of my aunt"

Your aunt only has one brother (from earlier in the question) and it is your father.

"she is the only niece of the father of the only cousin of the uncle of the only grandson of my father"

The only grandson of your father must be your son (since we know you have one).

"she is the only niece of the father of the only cousin of the uncle of my son"

The uncle of your son is your cousin.

"she is the only niece of the father of the only cousin of my cousin"

If your cousin only has one cousin, it must be you!

"she is the only niece of my father"

Your father's niece is your cousin.

"she is my cousin"

From the information in the question we can know that you are your father's only child and you have exactly one son and an unknown number of daughters. Your father has 2 sisters and no brothers. One of those sisters has no children and the other has exactly one daughter and at least one son.

Where I come from, uncle means one of your parents brothers. You are right that the previous stories imply that your father has only one son, so you have no brothers. Is it common usage to call a parents cousin an uncle? I personally call my dad's first cousin my second cousin, but I don't know if that is correct.

Edited by mmiguel1

Where I come from, uncle means one of your parents brothers. You are right that the previous stories imply that your father has only one son, so you have no brothers. Is it common usage to call a parents cousin an uncle? I personally call my dad's first cousin my second cousin, but I don't know if that is correct.

I was kind of drawing up a little family tree as I went through this problem and immediately went to the cousins when I hit that part since he has no siblings. The whole terminology for kinship has always confused me. I always have to go to

Wikipedia to be sure. Turns out that my father's first cousin is my first cousin once removed. Anyways, unless I made another mistake then does that mean the question is flawed?

I was looking through our family photo album with a friend recently. I pointed to a photo and said "brothers and sisters I have none, but that man's father is my father's son". My friend (being no fool) immediately said "it's your son, that's an old one". "Then how about the fella in this picture", I said, he's the only son of the only brother of the only aunt of my father's only niece". My friend thought for a while then said "it's you, and it was taken a good few years ago by the look of it". "All right then smart a**, see this lady" I said pointing to another picture, "she is the only niece of the father of the only cousin of the uncle of the only grandson of the brother of my cousin's mother". Can you tell me who she is?

your motherr

i m too lazy to write the details.....

Nobody's got the right answer to this one.

Working backwards,

My cousin's mother is my aunt.

The brother of my aunt is my father (because my comment on the second photo revealed my aunt had only one brother).

The only grandson of my father is my son.

The uncle of my son is my wife's brother (because my comment on the first photo revealed I had no brothers)

The only cousin of my wife's brother is my wife's cousin.

The father of my wife's cousin is my wife's uncle.

Finally the only niece of my wife's uncle is MY WIFE!