BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Equation

rookie1ja

Equation - Back to the Number Puzzles

Rectify the following equality 101 - 102 = 1 by moving just one digit.

This old topic is locked since it was answered many times. You can check solution in the Spoiler below.

Pls visit New Puzzles section to see always fresh brain teasers.

Equation - solution

Move the numeral 2 half a line up to achieve 101 - 102 = 1.

• 2 months later...

this is what i thought:

move '1' to the other side of the equation so nothing is left on the right hand side (ie. 0!)

so u get:

101-102+1 = 0

hows that!

this is what i thought:

move '1' to the other side of the equation so nothing is left on the right hand side (ie. 0!)

so u get:

101-102+1 = 0

hows that!

that requires adding a '+' sign, which wouldn't be right.

• 2 weeks later...
How about this

Take the top half of the equal sign and move it over the top of the minus sign.

101 = 102 - 1.

that would also work. but that wouldn't be moving a numeral

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Motto: 'To Start Press Any Key'. Where's the ANY key? - Homer Simpson

Back in the old days, very old days - 8 bit processors, 5-1/4 floppies and dreams of hard drives - I met a man whose business it was to provide telephone support for the users of his client's software. He told me that the most commonly asked question was "Where is the any key?" It wasn't long before software publishers went to "Press the space bar to continue."

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Some of these problems are not at all clear. I spent a long time with this one without an answer becuase it was not mentioned in the instructinos that you can add or remove mathematical opperators.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Back in the old days, very old days - 8 bit processors, 5-1/4 floppies and dreams of hard drives - I met a man whose business it was to provide telephone support for the users of his client's software. He told me that the most commonly asked question was "Where is the any key?" It wasn't long before software publishers went to "Press the space bar to continue."

I met a man whose business it was to provide telephone support too. His customers were very upset that it took 3-5 days to get help, but they had a working phone when he was done.

last i recall 101-102 is not 1 but -1, and that is the err that needs to be rectified

the instructions were to change one numeral so that the equation would be true. if u looked at the answer, he changed that numeral and therefore his answer is correct

• 2 weeks later...