BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

There once was a man. This man jumped off a ten story building with apartments. When he was facing the ninth floor, he realized there was something wrong. When he was facing the eight floor, he was shot in the head from inside the room by a shotgun. When police officers responded to the 911 call that followed, they of course investigated. They had no choice but to arrest nobody.

Four questions:

1. What did the man realize when facing the ninth floor?

2. Who shot him?

3. Why didn't the police arrest anyone?

4. Why did the man jump off the building?

He was connected to the shooter in a way.

Question 3 should be answered last.

10 answers to this question

Haha, nice guesses :P What I really meant with #4 is "Why did he want to commit suicide?"

So, all are incorrect ;)

Plus, it's almost impossible to get all four answers correct in one go :)

WARNING. This is just a lot of theory-crafting. If even one strand of this is slightly off, the entire thing falls completely apart.

"1. What did the man realize when facing the ninth floor?"

--

"When he was facing the ninth floor, he realized there was something wrong."

He could have realized that his reasoning for jumping was misplaced.

He could have realized he wouldn't be able to commit suicide in this fashion, like a safety net was up,

Or the reverse; he may have realized he was going to die from falling (His bungee cord snapped, or he's a stunt-double and the net's broken, or he 'missed' the ledge he was suppose to grab onto..)

Or maybe even he saw something 'morally' wrong, like seeing a girl being raped or a burglar entering a house.

"They had no choice but to arrest nobody."

This means there was most likely no burglar or rapist or anyone else doing something illegal that the police discovered. (I'm assuming they are competent).

It's also unlikely that he wasn't trying to commit suicide based on the thread title..

I also think changing your mind right after jumping is both unlikely and wouldn't contribute to the plot. I can't think of anything he could see from outside the 9th floor that would influence his decision to change his mind, and it's only half a second after jumping; he's got to have a bit more resolve than that to jump.

My Answer: He discoverd that jumping off the building wouldn't kill him.

Next Question...

"2. Who shot him?"

--

Assuming my answer to #1 is correct, he must not have known the shotgun was going to kill him. Otherwise, he wouldn't think something was wrong with his attempted suicide.

Even if it was an accident that someone else killed him while he was to commit suicide, they would still be charged with manslaughter; therefore he must be connected with the shooter in some way,(Hey that's the hint! I must be on to something. XD), and he also must have caused the shot to actually happen; Maybe he rigged it to misfire, or loaded a gun that is normally not be loaded. Basically, the way he died was still his fault. He was the cause of the gun being fired -- even though he didn't know it would cause his own death.

This also says there are no burglars, vigilantes, or over-zealous trigger happy men around (As stated previously in my theorizing for the first question XD)

"inside the room by a shotgun."

The shooter must be aiming towards the inside of the room; towards the window. Seeing as no one was arrested, this would mean that he was aiming at someone who most likely lived or worked there; and because it's not his fault the gun fired, I draw the conclusion that it was someone waving a supposedly unarmed gun at the resident threateningly. It's unlikely to be a worker, as they're living in an apartment complex and I doubt they'd be able to afford a maid butler, or housekeeping service. The best scene I can fit this to is an older married couple who got into frequent fights. My guess would be the gun was secretly loaded by the man who jumped in an attempt to kill off one of the two; probably the wife as it's steriotypically the husband who waves a shotgun threatening.

Since it's not the husband's fault the gun went off; it's likely that the man had free access to the area where the gun was kepted, knew the people intimately (and knew that they got into shot-gun waving fights); and knew the 'wife' enough to want her dead. Taking a small leap, you could say the older are were his parents; so assuming the husband was the one waving the gun...

My Answer: His father.

The other two questions are spawned from my previous logic;

"3. Why didn't the police arrest anyone??"

--

My Answer: Because he still killed himself. He, most likely, loaded the shotgun in an attempt to kill his mother -- maybe for inheritence, maybe out of anger because she fired him from the family bussiness or wouldn't loan him money. The shotgun was most likely fired accidently out the window as his father was fighting with and threatening his wife; mistakeningly killing his son who was trying to kill his wife. Coincidence, I guess.

"4. Why did the man jump off the building?"

--

My Answer: Life got too hard for him? He probably needed money (wanting it enough to kill his mother), and he may have felt overly guilty about trying to kill her later as time went on.

WARNING. This is just a lot of theory-crafting. If even one strand of this is slightly off, the entire thing falls completely apart.

--

He could have realized he wouldn't be able to commit suicide in this fashion, like a safety net was up,

Or the reverse; he may have realized he was going to die from falling (His bungee cord snapped, or he's a stunt-double and the net's broken, or he 'missed' the ledge he was suppose to grab onto..)

Or maybe even he saw something 'morally' wrong, like seeing a girl being raped or a burglar entering a house.

This means there was most likely no burglar or rapist or anyone else doing something illegal that the police discovered. (I'm assuming they are competent).

It's also unlikely that he wasn't trying to commit suicide based on the thread title..

I also think changing your mind right after jumping is both unlikely and wouldn't contribute to the plot. I can't think of anything he could see from outside the 9th floor that would influence his decision to change his mind, and it's only half a second after jumping; he's got to have a bit more resolve than that to jump.

Next Question...

"2. Who shot him?"

--

Assuming my answer to #1 is correct, he must not have known the shotgun was going to kill him. Otherwise, he wouldn't think something was wrong with his attempted suicide.

Even if it was an accident that someone else killed him while he was to commit suicide, they would still be charged with manslaughter; therefore he must be connected with the shooter in some way,(Hey that's the hint! I must be on to something. XD), and he also must have caused the shot to actually happen; Maybe he rigged it to misfire, or loaded a gun that is normally not be loaded. Basically, the way he died was still his fault. He was the cause of the gun being fired -- even though he didn't know it would cause his own death.

This also says there are no burglars, vigilantes, or over-zealous trigger happy men around (As stated previously in my theorizing for the first question XD)

The shooter must be aiming towards the inside of the room; towards the window. Seeing as no one was arrested, this would mean that he was aiming at someone who most likely lived or worked there; and because it's not his fault the gun fired, I draw the conclusion that it was someone waving a supposedly unarmed gun at the resident threateningly. It's unlikely to be a worker, as they're living in an apartment complex and I doubt they'd be able to afford a maid butler, or housekeeping service. The best scene I can fit this to is an older married couple who got into frequent fights. My guess would be the gun was secretly loaded by the man who jumped in an attempt to kill off one of the two; probably the wife as it's steriotypically the husband who waves a shotgun threatening.

Since it's not the husband's fault the gun went off; it's likely that the man had free access to the area where the gun was kepted, knew the people intimately (and knew that they got into shot-gun waving fights); and knew the 'wife' enough to want her dead. Taking a small leap, you could say the older are were his parents; so assuming the husband was the one waving the gun...

--

My Answer: Because he still killed himself. He, most likely, loaded the shotgun in an attempt to kill his mother -- maybe for inheritence, maybe out of anger because she fired him from the family bussiness or wouldn't loan him money. The shotgun was most likely fired accidently out the window as his father was fighting with and threatening his wife; mistakeningly killing his son who was trying to kill his wife. Coincidence, I guess.

--

My Answer: Life got too hard for him? He probably needed money (wanting it enough to kill his mother), and he may have felt overly guilty about trying to kill her later as time went on.

I believe this is correct.

--

Next Question...

"2. Who shot him?"

--

--

--

Bolded the correct assumptions. You completely nailed it. Great job! :o

Riddle based on: Darwin awards (changed it a tiny bit though)