BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

I have decided to make this a tad bit more complicated than the previous mafia with the introduction of 2 slightly different roles.It is also a small experiment for me.

Newer players are welcomed, as well as experienced ones. I can see this mafia ending around N4, if not before.

Feedback would be great. Since we'll start this after Ye Olde Mafia II, there's a lot of time and room for improvement.

Doomed

You find yourself waking up in a cryo-chamber. The system recognized the electromagnetic signals of your brain and slowly increased the temperature of the chamber and started pumping in a gaseous mixture that resembled that of the atmosphere. Blinking every so often, your eyes began to adjust to light again after years of being in slumber. You slowly regained your other senses as the computer initiated a series of programs to determine the functionality of you as a whole.

After passing the series of small tests, you heard the locks disengaging. The door slid open and you stepped into a small room with nothing other than a change of clothes and an exit. You put them on and left the room into a long passageway. As you walked down the passageway, you saw similar rooms with other cryo-preserved humans. You shuddered to think that you spent the last … How many years have it been?

The answer soon presented itself as you exit the long passageway. You entered a small chamber with a chair and a monitor screen. Printed on the screen are the words “Year 99PA.”

‘99PA?’

The fear of living in an uncertain future finally caught up, you started wondering what is in store for you. You sat down on the chair and the walls flickered.

“Welcome to the year 99PA. In your calendar, it would be year 3192AD.”

‘I have been sleeping for more than a thousand years?’ you wondered.

“It is now 99 years post-apocalypse.”

Over the next 30 minutes, you were given a brief history of what happened in the past thousand years. The Earth had been reduced to a toxic wasteland by wars and the only way humans could sustain themselves is by building domes that regulate their internal environment to mimic Earth before the apocalypse.

The chamber opened and you left the building. You walked into a metropolitan of high-tech buildings and thousands of people going about doing their own business. Looking up into the sky, you saw the glass dome, the dome which you are destined to live in for the remainder of this lifetime.

Welcome to the future.

Roles & Factions:

Cyber-Criminals

Chooses a player to kill once every night. Wins by being the last faction standing.

Mastermind: Able to orchestrate elaborate schemes behind peoples’ backs, he will appear as an [innocent] when spied upon, unless he is blocked the same night he was spied on.

Hacker: A capable hacker, he is able to hack into the city mainframe and issue orders to place a player in house arrest, blocking the player’s action for a night. May target the same player two nights in a row.

Citizens

Wins by being the last faction standing.

Doctor: She can save one player every night. May not target the same player two nights in a row.

Enforcer: He can block a player from acting every night. May not target the same player two nights in a row.

Information Analyst: She can look up a player’s files and learn the player’s faction.

Sentry: If she is killed, will reveal the role of the killer in the night post. Only once throughout the game, may sacrifice self to kill one player. The Sentry's role will be made public if she is killed/died with her victim.

Bio-Engineer: Every night, PMs the role with a dead player and a role match-up. Also included in the PM will be the target for the night. If the RID is correct (confirmation will be sent at the end of the night), he will perform the action of the dead player on his target.

Credit: UR and CL.

College Graduate: He can choose a player every night to party with. The player will lose his/her vote the following day. He will join the cyber-criminals and gain BTSC if the Hacker targets him. When spied will appear as [Cyber-Criminal] if he is converted.

Informant Network

Wins by completing individual win-con or by being the last faction standing.

Information Monger: On odd nights may choose to track a player and learn his/her target. On top of that, every night, sends the host a list of player and role ID matchups. If all matchups are correct, the Information Monger wins. If not, he will only be told the number of matchups he has correct, but not which ones.

Only once in game, may hire an assassin from his network and RID kill a player, during the day or night cycle. This kill cannot be blocked.

When spied will appear as [innocent], unless blocked. If blocked on the same night he is being spied on, will appear as [Cyber-Criminal].

Gameplay Mechanics:

1. Tie lynches will result in the lynch of all players who tied.

2. Blocks always prevail. All blocks will be calculated to giving the least amount of actions.

3. Beyond that, all other actions are calculated to giving the most amount of deaths.

4. Day and Night cycles are 24 hours, Nights may end earlier if I get all the actions in.

5. Have fun.

Host: scsw

Sign-ups:

Edited by scsw

• Answers 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

1. akaslickster-voting for tpaxatb

2. GMaster479 - voting for tpaxatb

3. EDM - voting for slick

4. Framm 18 - poisoned by the Cyber Criminals - [Sentry]

5. Derrai- dead unfortunately

6. Riranor - voting for slick

7. crazypainter voting for tpaxatb

8. tpaxatb - voting for slick

9. sayalzah - exiled and reduced to ash - [Mastermind]

i have an eerie feeling of doubt for Tpax, so my vote goes for you Aka, Tpax seems to be giving up to easily to be a baddie, honestly though im unsure to whether or not one of oyu are actually a baddie and are just both goodies with misunderstandings, unless i missed soemthing earlier stating otherwise

1. akaslickster-voting for tpaxatb

2. GMaster479 - voting for tpaxatb

3. EDM - voting for slick

4. Framm 18 - poisoned by the Cyber Criminals - [Sentry]

5. Derrai- dead unfortunately

6. Riranor - voting for slick

7. crazypainter voting for tpaxatb

8. tpaxatb - voting for slick

9. sayalzah - exiled and reduced to ash - [Mastermind]

i have an eerie feeling of doubt for Tpax, so my vote goes for you Aka, Tpax seems to be giving up to easily to be a baddie, honestly though im unsure to whether or not one of oyu are actually a baddie and are just both goodies with misunderstandings, unless i missed soemthing earlier stating otherwise

Well we have an hour left before the day ends and I think we have EITHER the hacker or the indie. Either way the goodies will have an advantage of some sort. Let's keep the votes the same and then finish them off tomorrow.

Day 2: Un-Eventful Day

Convention Center: 1200Hours

"Slick is the Hacker!" yelled tpaxatb.

"No, tpax is!" slick countered.

The deadlock went on till the day went by and the citizens still could not decide who was lying, if either are. They decided to take their chances and let both men go, at least for one more night.

Host: scsw

Sign-ups:

1. akaslickster

2. GMaster479

3. EDM

4. Framm 18 - [Sentry] - poisoned by the Cyber Criminals

5. Derrai - [?] - hacked and ground into juice

6. Riranor

7. crazypainter

8. tpaxatb

9. sayalzah - [Mastermind] - exiled and reduced to ash

Night 3 ends in 18 hours. 6PM PST.

Wow...I thought for sure Rir was inactive and I was a goner.

OK. Seriously, I think our only chance to win is to keep slick from acting, and hope that slick doesn't block the enforcer. (does slick's kill still go through if slick blocks the enforcer and the enforcer blocks slick?). We can't lose another goodie during the night.

My action is useless now (sheesh, take a hint guys) unless I target the same person that the enforcer does... I wouldn't be surprised if I'm dead tonight via the RID kill anyway. I think GM has all the information he needs, so it's probably a win for him tonight anyway - if not this night then night 4 for sure unless we lynch him instead of slick.

Doctor: you're wasting your time if you target me, slick is trying to frame me (wants me alive), and the RID kill of the indie is unstoppable.

Enforcer: Block slick again, it's the only chance we have of preventing the kill.

(edit: removed a couple suggestions)

Edited by tpaxatb

Wow...I thought for sure Rir was inactive and I was a goner.

OK. Seriously, I think our only chance to win is to keep slick from acting, and hope that slick doesn't block the enforcer. (does slick's kill still go through if slick blocks the enforcer and the enforcer blocks slick?). We can't lose another goodie during the night.

My action is useless now (sheesh, take a hint guys) unless I target the same person that the enforcer does... I wouldn't be surprised if I'm dead tonight via the RID kill anyway. I think GM has all the information he needs, so it's probably a win for him tonight anyway - if not this night then night 4 for sure unless we lynch him instead of slick.

Doctor: you're wasting your time if you target me, slick is trying to frame me (wants me alive), and the RID kill of the indie is unstoppable.

Enforcer: Block slick again, it's the only chance we have of preventing the kill.

(edit: removed a couple suggestions)

You have the nerve of a hacker too! That's a compliment.thumbsup.gif

It's not two goodies with misunderstandings. I have pretty much given my role away, but to summarize for all those with doubts:

Remembering that blocks are shown:

Night 1: Slick was blocked by the enforcer.

Night 1: There was no block by the hacker.

Night 1: Sayahlzah was outed as the killer of Framm

From the earlier posts, I announced that I had suspicions of a player due to the lack of something happening in the night 1 post. (I was speaking of the lack of a hacker block)

Day 1: Sayahlazah was outed as the Mastermind.

I posted many hints about my role and how I can be certain that slick is the hacker.

a) The fact that my night 1 action needed to be reinterpreted due to Framm's death. In other words, you should be able to figure out who I targeted and the result of my action from that statement, and what Framm's death (actually the dying words) did to that information.

b) I am 100% certain about slicks role. (edit: AGAIN, you should be able to figure out who i targeted and what I claim the results of that action were)

c) In order for me to get useful information any more, I need to target the same person as the enforcer (or slick...but that's asking quite a bit :D).

Luckily, I'm the only goodie role that's really been outed (excepting Framm). Unless the person that I target is blocked, my action is pretty much useless, since the only way to tell the indie from the goodies is for that to happen...so my death, except for the loss of a goodie vote in the lynch, is probably OK...except it reduces the wincon permutations for the indie. Unfortunately, we also know what CP was NOT, and so the permutations are getting slimmer.

So I've given a lot of information, especially about my role and actions, whereas all slick has done has been to claim he is important. I think we lost the best opportunity to win the game through lynching slick, since that would mean all that we had to do was find the indie. My gut (and a statement made during the vote) tells me it's GM, but I'm only 50/50 on that...and we lost the opportunity to find out for sure. I give the game 25% chance of lasting through the night 3, and 0% of lasting through night 4, unless we have some luck.

Edited by tpaxatb

Gameplay Mechanics:

1. Tie lynches will result in the lynch of all players who tied.

Well this is what I was hoping would happen, but unfortunately it didn't work out as planned. I know what I am doing tonight and I hope we get the Hacker gone tonight

@tpaxatb: I am not the indie and I now have to believe you not only for your convincing argument but because you made slick resort back to the whole "I am an important goodie" defense. I am going to end this tonight if you are right about him and not how you think

Edited by Gmaster479

Oy that was close! Tpax, sorry about that! Happy Rir showed up to save the day. But what about the night???

edit:

how many of you think that the college grad has hooked up with the Hacker???

Edited by crazypainter

That could have been it for me but, there would have been one less goodie to help the rest. Tpaxatb is most likely the hacker B/C he is obviously trying to label me as I am not. Truly, I am an important goodie. I'm really needed for us to win.biggrin.gif

hmm Slick, what role could that be? I cant see any goodie really needed to be alive for us to win. Our Sentry/killer is dead already. You cant be the enforcer since you were targeted by him earlier. :dry:

Doctor: She can save one player every night. May not target the same player two nights in a row.

Enforcer: He can block a player from acting every night. May not target the same player two nights in a row.

Information Analyst: She can look up a player’s files and learn the player’s faction.

Sentry: If she is killed, will reveal the role of the killer in the night post. Only once throughout the game, may sacrifice self to kill one player. The Sentry's role will be made public if she is killed/died with her victim. DEAD

Bio-Engineer: Every night, PMs the role with a dead player and a role match-up. Also included in the PM will be the target for the night. If the RID is correct (confirmation will be sent at the end of the night), he will perform the action of the dead player on his target.

College Graduate: He can choose a player every night to party with. The player will lose his/her vote the following day. He will join the cyber-criminals and gain BTSC if the Hacker targets him. When spied will appear as [Cyber-Criminal] if he is converted.

Well this is what I was hoping would happen, but unfortunately it didn't work out as planned. I know what I am doing tonight and I hope we get the Hacker gone tonight

@tpaxatb: I am not the indie and I now have to believe you not only for your convincing argument but because you made slick resort back to the whole "I am an important goodie" defense. I am going to end this tonight if you are right about him and not how you think

scsw changed the mechanics of tie lynches - it's in one of the posts that answered some questions

Oy that was close! Tpax, sorry about that! Happy Rir showed up to save the day. But what about the night???

edit:

Not me...scsw (in the same post as above I think) said that the recruitment would be made public. In addition, if that were the case, since slick's only successful target was you, that would make you the grad....and that's not what I have down for you anyway...

@GM: If you're doing what I think your doing (provided I'm reading your claim right) then that would be interesting...since I can only think of one way to read that...If that's the case I hope you're right. If I'm reading you wrong...well then all bets are off :D

@CP: For the night, since slick is still around, I don't know what's better...trying to find information about one of the other players or preventing a goodie kill (and don't forget that leaving slick unblocked also allows slick to block). Even if we're successful in obtaining information, it doesn't mean that we'll be able to use it anyway, since I'm sure slick would target me for at LEAST the block, if not the kill. I personally think it would be best to block him. Disadvantage to having my role out there...it's pretty much become useless excepting for lynch support.

Can the Bio-Engineer sacrifice him or herself and get a kill if he or she correctly identified the Sentry? If the Bio-Engineer identified the Sentry, and is killed, will the killer be revealed? Can the Bio-Engineer use the same ability twice in a row?

Don't forget about the many times that I try to convince everyone that I'm good and get lynched to prove it. I thought this pattern would have been broken by now. There is no more proof on me than anyone else so if you want to believe all the bull from tpaxatb then that will result in your loss.

To CP: I best not reveal my role or the hacker may get me tonight, he may already have done it.sad.gif

Can the Bio-Engineer sacrifice him or herself and get a kill if he or she correctly identified the Sentry? If the Bio-Engineer identified the Sentry, and is killed, will the killer be revealed? Can the Bio-Engineer use the same ability twice in a row?

Yes. And yes.

edit:

i can answer your question CP, and i know i can say that the Grad isn't found out by the hacker yet, but saying this wont out my own role exactly. I also don't trust Aka one bit anymore. And ot explain my inactivity i had a lot of HW the other night and read over everything, but forgot to vote. I realized that and then voted for Aka XD

I think that I should remind everyone that in

The hacker was required to recruit the graduate by night 2 for us to lose him to the dark side!

Is this still correct, since it conflicts with the original RDs?

(edit: add question)

Edited by tpaxatb

I think that I should remind everyone that in

The hacker was required to recruit the graduate by night 2 for us to lose him to the dark side!

edit: i wanted to edit after Tpax's question

Edited by Riranor

Don't forget about the many times that I try to convince everyone that I'm good and get lynched to prove it. I thought this pattern would have been broken by now. There is no more proof on me than anyone else so if you want to believe all the bull from tpaxatb then that will result in your loss.

To CP: I best not reveal my role or the hacker may get me tonight, he may already have done it.sad.gif

None of the info I've given gives a hoot about past games. Proof will be tonight when either you or I are blocked. If I'm blocked, the hacker runs free. If you're blocked...no actions by the hacker tonight.

Trying to claim to be the graduate?

PS: Be careful, it looks like your walking a very fine line wrt metagame elements and referring to past games' lynches...just saying. :ph34r:

Tpax, thats what I was thinking. Shhh you all about revealing your role!!!

edit: SCSW your inbox is full. Please let me know how to get it to you. I cant exactly post it on the thread or on your profile.

Edited by crazypainter