BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

I have decided to make this a tad bit more complicated than the previous mafia with the introduction of 2 slightly different roles.It is also a small experiment for me.

Newer players are welcomed, as well as experienced ones. I can see this mafia ending around N4, if not before.

Feedback would be great. Since we'll start this after Ye Olde Mafia II, there's a lot of time and room for improvement.

Doomed

You find yourself waking up in a cryo-chamber. The system recognized the electromagnetic signals of your brain and slowly increased the temperature of the chamber and started pumping in a gaseous mixture that resembled that of the atmosphere. Blinking every so often, your eyes began to adjust to light again after years of being in slumber. You slowly regained your other senses as the computer initiated a series of programs to determine the functionality of you as a whole.

After passing the series of small tests, you heard the locks disengaging. The door slid open and you stepped into a small room with nothing other than a change of clothes and an exit. You put them on and left the room into a long passageway. As you walked down the passageway, you saw similar rooms with other cryo-preserved humans. You shuddered to think that you spent the last … How many years have it been?

The answer soon presented itself as you exit the long passageway. You entered a small chamber with a chair and a monitor screen. Printed on the screen are the words “Year 99PA.”

‘99PA?’

The fear of living in an uncertain future finally caught up, you started wondering what is in store for you. You sat down on the chair and the walls flickered.

“Welcome to the year 99PA. In your calendar, it would be year 3192AD.”

‘I have been sleeping for more than a thousand years?’ you wondered.

“It is now 99 years post-apocalypse.”

Over the next 30 minutes, you were given a brief history of what happened in the past thousand years. The Earth had been reduced to a toxic wasteland by wars and the only way humans could sustain themselves is by building domes that regulate their internal environment to mimic Earth before the apocalypse.

The chamber opened and you left the building. You walked into a metropolitan of high-tech buildings and thousands of people going about doing their own business. Looking up into the sky, you saw the glass dome, the dome which you are destined to live in for the remainder of this lifetime.

Welcome to the future.

Roles & Factions:

Cyber-Criminals

Chooses a player to kill once every night. Wins by being the last faction standing.

Mastermind: Able to orchestrate elaborate schemes behind peoples’ backs, he will appear as an [innocent] when spied upon, unless he is blocked the same night he was spied on.

Hacker: A capable hacker, he is able to hack into the city mainframe and issue orders to place a player in house arrest, blocking the player’s action for a night. May target the same player two nights in a row.

Citizens

Wins by being the last faction standing.

Doctor: She can save one player every night. May not target the same player two nights in a row.

Enforcer: He can block a player from acting every night. May not target the same player two nights in a row.

Information Analyst: She can look up a player’s files and learn the player’s faction.

Sentry: If she is killed, will reveal the role of the killer in the night post. Only once throughout the game, may sacrifice self to kill one player. The Sentry's role will be made public if she is killed/died with her victim.

Bio-Engineer: Every night, PMs the role with a dead player and a role match-up. Also included in the PM will be the target for the night. If the RID is correct (confirmation will be sent at the end of the night), he will perform the action of the dead player on his target.

Credit: UR and CL.

College Graduate: He can choose a player every night to party with. The player will lose his/her vote the following day. He will join the cyber-criminals and gain BTSC if the Hacker targets him. When spied will appear as [Cyber-Criminal] if he is converted.

Informant Network

Wins by completing individual win-con or by being the last faction standing.

Information Monger: On odd nights may choose to track a player and learn his/her target. On top of that, every night, sends the host a list of player and role ID matchups. If all matchups are correct, the Information Monger wins. If not, he will only be told the number of matchups he has correct, but not which ones.

Only once in game, may hire an assassin from his network and RID kill a player, during the day or night cycle. This kill cannot be blocked.

When spied will appear as [innocent], unless blocked. If blocked on the same night he is being spied on, will appear as [Cyber-Criminal].

Gameplay Mechanics:

1. Tie lynches will result in the lynch of all players who tied.

2. Blocks always prevail. All blocks will be calculated to giving the least amount of actions.

3. Beyond that, all other actions are calculated to giving the most amount of deaths.

4. Day and Night cycles are 24 hours, Nights may end earlier if I get all the actions in.

5. Have fun.

Host: scsw

Sign-ups:

Edited by scsw

• Answers 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Doomed

Roles & Factions:

Cyber-Criminals

Chooses a player to kill once every night. Wins by being the last faction standing.

Mastermind: Able to orchestrate elaborate schemes behind peoples’ backs, he will appear as an [innocent] when spied upon, unless he is blocked the same night he was spied on.

Hacker: A capable hacker, he is able to hack into the city mainframe and issue orders to place a player in house arrest, blocking the player’s action for a night. May target the same player two nights in a row.

Citizens

Wins by being the last faction standing.

Doctor: She can save one player every night. May not target the same player two nights in a row.

Enforcer: He can block a player from acting every night. May not target the same player two nights in a row.

Information Analyst: She can look up a player’s files and learn the player’s faction.

Sentry: If she is killed, will reveal the role of the killer in the night post. Only once throughout the game, may sacrifice self to kill one player. The Sentry's role will be made public if she is killed/died with her victim.

Bio-Engineer: Every night, PMs the role with a dead player and a role match-up. Also included in the PM will be the target for the night. If the RID is correct (confirmation will be sent at the end of the night), he will perform the action of the dead player on his target.

Credit: UR and CL.

College Graduate: He can choose a player every night to party with. The player will lose his/her vote the following day. He will join the cyber-criminals and gain BTSC if the Hacker targets him on or before N2. When spied will appear as [Cyber-Criminal] if he is converted.

Informant Network

Wins by completing individual win-con or by being the last faction standing.

Information Monger: On odd nights may choose to track a player and learn his/her target. On top of that, every night, sends the host a list of player and role ID matchups. If all matchups are correct, the Information Monger wins. If not, he will only be told the number of matchups he has correct, but not which ones.

Only once in game, may hire an assassin from his network and RID kill a player, during the day or night cycle. This kill cannot be blocked.

When spied will appear as [innocent], unless blocked. If blocked on the same night he is being spied on, will appear as [Cyber-Criminal].

Prologue:

The Ark, 1600 Hours

The Bioengineer set his huge binder labeled “Gymnotidae” down. He opened it and flipped through the pages with utmost care, like a mother would do to her newborn. He stopped at the page “Electrophorus” and scanned the page with his eyes. The page holds twelve discs, each with a different label written on top of it. The Bioengineer gently removed the disc titled “Electrophorus electricus” and slid it into the computer.

Almost instantaneously, the screen flickered and the following entry appeared; “Electrophorus electricus; Common Name: Electric Eel.”

The Bioengineer sighed, turned around and walked to the glass window behind him. He looked down into a vast, deep chamber. That deep abyss is a cryo-freezing chamber, housing the reproductive cells of all organisms ever documented by humans. Millions of samples per species, this was the only way humans could preserve the diverse lifeforms that once cohabited Earth.

“One day…”

Club Katalyst, 2100 Hours

The College Graduate downed the drink as his friends cheered him on.

“Congratulations on graduating! What are your plans now?”

He leaned back and said casually, “Let a job find me.”

The Center of Information & Security, 2200 Hours

The Information Analyst scowled. How did it escape her?!

She looked back at the screen again and typed in a short command. The person’s history was blank. In fact, there were no records of him doing anything in the city until the last few weeks.

Touching the screen to the right, she pressed another button and called for the Sentry and the Enforcer. They need to see this. The city has been breached.

On the screen she just touched were the words, “Subject: Gray Adams. Born: Angeles Caídos”.

Unknown Location, 2230 Hours

“Hawk.”

The Hacker could not believe his eyes. Someone found him!

“Who is this?”

“Your new partner. And we are going to rule this city.”

Central Clinic, 2300 Hours

The Doctor grabbed her documents, turned off the lights to her office and left. She pulled out her keys, hopped onto her scooter and zoomed off to the corner of the dome.

She soon arrived at her favorite haunt, the Lookout. She parked and got off. The dome generates fake imagery on its many faceted surface; images of the sun, blue skies and a night of stars. In reality, the sky is ashen black or scorching red, as the atmosphere was literally burned off. Being a realist, she spends hours every night looking at the true sad state of the Earth from the Lookout.

She sat down and stared off into the distance. There were no stars, the sky blocked out by an ashen storm. There was no life. There was no hope.

Unknown Location, 2350 Hours

“Well done, Informant #227. Or should I call you Gray Adams?” the voice from the V-sat said.

“Expect the information you need soon. Just make sure you deposit the payment and ensure my safety.”

“Very well.”

The connection was cut and the Information Monger spat. The man was a disgusting leech. But the money was good. For someone who has no family, no past and no attachments, money was the only thing that would guarantee his present and his future. After all, life is selfish.

Sign-ups:

1. akaslickster

2. Framm18

3. EDM

4. GMaster479

5. Derrai

6. Riranor

7. crazypainter

8. tpaxatb

9. sayalzah

Backup:

1. Darthnoob

There are some pleasant surprises in game. Look out for them.

Night ends whenever I get all the actions in, but no shorter than 24 hours. Please confirm your roles with your respective actions. Good luck.

Edited by scsw

I like the Bio-Engineer, that's a pretty cool role. The Information Monger is also pretty cool. I don't know if I like the College Graduate though, because I figure he could try to help the baddies win, and just hope he gets converted. Maybe that's the point, but it makes for a somewhat ambiguous wincon.

I wonder how the goodies will do without a true killer... this game will really depend on information flying fast

EDIT: Haha, didn't realize it'd just started. Have fun everybody! Hopefully I won't be needed

Edited by DarthNoob

I like the Bio-Engineer, that's a pretty cool role. The Information Monger is also pretty cool. I don't know if I like the College Graduate though, because I figure he could try to help the baddies win, and just hope he gets converted. Maybe that's the point, but it makes for a somewhat ambiguous wincon.

I wonder how the goodies will do without a true killer... this game will really depend on information flying fast

EDIT: Haha, didn't realize it'd just started. Have fun everybody! Hopefully I won't be needed

Sounds like you are trying to hint about your role but, it is far too early to be taking chances on anyone. Certainly, if I were to type the same thing it would'nt mean alot, to everyone.

BTW, I'm not trying to reach my 4000th with this. I think we all should be active. Just waiting for the first vote, to see if we can nail a baddie.

The mechanics of this game will be different from the rest that I've hosted.

Gameplay Mechanics:

1. Actions are calculated to bring about the most deaths in game.

2. A tie lynch will result in a no lynch.

3. You may reveal roles, afterall, who's to say you're lying or not.

4. Players bringing in metagame elements will result in an immediate ... termination.

5. Blocks are revealed. Spying attempts are not revealed.

6. Players that are not having fun should grab a drink and loosen up. ;)

Sounds like you are trying to hint about your role but, it is far too early to be taking chances on anyone. Certainly, if I were to type the same thing it would'nt mean alot, to everyone.

BTW, I'm not trying to reach my 4000th with this. I think we all should be active. Just waiting for the first vote, to see if we can nail a baddie.

Hahaha, nice speculation, but uh, I don't have a role. I'm just a backup and scsw hasn't needed me yet. =P

I was just commenting on my opinion of the roles... like I said, I really like the Bio-Engineer idea

oh question about the College grad, if he or she was targeted by hacker does he or she get a choice to join or is it forced?

Edit: typo's

The College Graduate will be lured in by the charms of setting his/her own rule. i.e. He/She does not have a choice.

Scsw, sorry, confused about lynching. Do all tied players get lynched or there is no lynch? Just both have been said, so I was just clarifying.

Tie lynches will result in the lynch of all players who tied. post #1

A tie lynch will result in a no lynch. post #57

P.S. Thanks Crazypainter.

Sorry I had to go somewhere today, couldn't be active. Thanks CP :) .

RID means role-identity, right?

Does the night end at midnight or when you get all the actions?

Edited by sayalzah

Sorry I had to go somewhere today, couldn't be active. Thanks CP :) .

RID means role-identity, right?

Does the night end at midnight or when you get all the actions?

Night will end when he gets all the actions more than likely. RID means Role-Identification as in if I as one of the roles correctly guess your role I have RIDed you

Good luck everyone. cool.gif

Slick early congrats on 4,000 post.

Thanks alot Framm18. I think I am missing the night post. Everyone confirmed their roles. It's only a matter of a short time until we resume, I suppose.

Meanwhile, I found something to share. Kinda stupid but, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eNvgTxGajQ

Thanks alot Framm18. I think I am missing the night post. Everyone confirmed their roles. It's only a matter of a short time until we resume, I suppose.

Meanwhile, I found something to share. Kinda stupid but, here it is:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=1eNvgTxGajQ

Yeah not the most brilliant link but appropriate. I think I was the one who held up the game. Sorry. SCSW just sent in my action so we can start, I hope.:duh:

Night 1: A Normal Evening

Transit Station #35: 2100 Hours

The man waited patiently in the corner café. He sipped his drink and picked up his magazine. Every so often, he would look at his watch and tilt his head up into the direction of the transit station. A normal scene. There was no sense of urgency, no presence. Nothing. It was as if he was part of the display in the coffee shop. A passerby would not take heed of this man sitting in the coffee shop.

A normal scene.

Not to Framm18. As he exited the transit, the man stood up and walked towards him. Before Framm18 could raise an eyebrow, the man gave him a bear hug and patted him in the back.

Two friends meeting in the transit. A normal scene.

“It’s great seeing you again! My transit’s here, have a good night!” the man chirped and boarded the transit.

Two friends saying goodbye. A normal scene.

The only thing that did not fit the picture was the puzzled look of Framm18 as he saw the man walk away. Before his brain could process the information and say “What?”, he grasped his chest and fell limp onto the floor.

A normal scene? Not anymore.

Streets: 2115 Hours

“Show me your ID.”

Akaslickster shrugged, pulled out a card and handed it to the Enforcer.

“You’re coming with me tonight.”

Hospital: 2130 Hours

Framm18 regained consciousness for a split second and said only one word, “sayalzah”. The cardiograph flat-lined.

Sign-ups:

1. akaslickster

2. GMaster479

3. EDM

4. Framm 18 - poisoned by the Cyber Criminals - [Sentry]

5. Derrai

6. Riranor

7. crazypainter

8. tpaxatb

9. sayalzah

Day 1 ends at 12PM PST on Monday. I'm trying to adjust the timing to a more human time.

Edited by scsw

Sign-ups:

1. akaslickster

2. GMaster479 - voting for sayalzah

3. EDM

5. Derrai

6. Riranor

7. crazypainter

8. tpaxatb

9. sayalzah

Well Framm, sorry to see you go so soon. It sometimes happens. Actually newbies get picked off first if you ask tpaxatb. Either way you did your job as you outed the other newbie as well. Sorry sayalzah but we have no other choice

Sign-ups:

1. akaslickster

2. GMaster479 - voting for sayalzah

3. EDM

5. Derrai

6. Riranor - voting for sayalzah

7. crazypainter

8. tpaxatb

9. sayalzah

no other choice is right, so here goes my vote