BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

It's kind of like playing a battle in your favorite strategy videogame (like Starcraft), but there's a glitch and the AI you're fighting become brutally hard. Even though you probably know everything about the game, all the ins and outs, the maps, and how to win battles easily, and even though you may have just won a battle five minutes ago, now you can't. Your only choices are to call a friend and battle with him online, or to wait until a patch comes out that fixes this bug. Or you could try hacking into the code, at the risk of messing something up, and get the difficulty level you need yourself.

Hint: you may have never played videogames, and you may even have never done the answer to this riddle, but the answer is something most people might have done

13 answers to this question

It's kind of like playing a battle in your favorite strategy videogame (like Starcraft), but there's a glitch and the AI you're fighting become brutally hard. Even though you probably know everything about the game, all the ins and outs, the maps, and how to win battles easily, and even though you may have just won a battle five minutes ago, now you can't. Your only choices are to call a friend and battle with him online, or to wait until a patch comes out that fixes this bug. Or you could try hacking into the code, at the risk of messing something up, and get the difficulty level you need yourself.

Hint: you may have never played videogames, and you may even have never done the answer to this riddle, but the answer is something most people might have done

cheating?? Or maybe just improvising, finding different solutions to a single problem?

Nope, and nope.

I have a burning urge to put another hint (despite it being so early), so here it is, and that will be the last hint EVER for this riddle!

The situation in which the answer might occur is common, but the likelihood of occurrence is low.

troubled relationship. Like you're used to things going smoothly but did something (and trust me, it is always you who will be at fault

:) ) and now don't have a date for the night. You can ask someone else, wait for forgiveness, or hack the system with flowers and gifts to lose the agro.

Fits perfectly.

I accept it.

Now, go find me another one. =P

I'll emphasize the "glitch" and "bug" aspect of the metaphor: as a novice (hugely novice) programmer, I can say that when in the process of debugging, bugs are often the "Oh! That was idiotic." type, and even more common are the simple syntax errors and the missing semicolons.

The situation in which the answer might occur is common, but the likelihood of occurrence is low.

to me this sounds like a person that is diagnosed with cancer. The person has been sick many many times in their lives but cancer is super hard and they can't overcome it on their own. The game is their body, they know all the ins and outs. But when cancer comes they battle with a friend who is probably a doctor. they could try and wait for an experimental drug or technique (meaning the patch), or maybe the patch stands for Chemo. OR the final option is to hack into the code or surgically remove the cancer with the risk of messing the game/body up.

Maybe a person is confronted by a situation that maybe able to be settled on your own

down the road a way...like letting its work itself out (if the otherside is good) but you are so

upset you think about calling or call a lawyer to get it settled now and satisfaction now....

All these answers are better than mine, but I don't mind since this is more of a free form style of riddle (who says riddles only have one answer?), and it's my first attempt at metaphor.

Earlier, when I said that'd be the last hint, I lied. Sue me.

Videogames are insignificant.

Think of something that, when it happens, it is significant, but it is totally insignificant in the long run.

I think the addition of that hint eliminates the guesses so far.