BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Games to Come (e.g. Mafia)

Gmaster479

FYI I'm not a newbie. And sense when was that large I remember games running like that all the time.

I know. I saw the name magic_luver and did a little fist pump.

I know you aren't a noob, but recent forum events have made mafia participation...strained. If I'm not mistaken, the 19-player Coup of Rhotus, started in mid-2011, is still in signups.

FYI I'm not a newbie. And sense when was that large I remember games running like that all the time.

I know. I saw the name magic_luver and did a little fist pump.

I know you aren't a noob, but recent forum events have made mafia participation...strained. If I'm not mistaken, the 19-player Coup of Rhotus, started in mid-2011, is still in signups.

That makes me sad :( I'll try to make the numbers smaller but I'm not sure how i can balance it with smaller numbers.

When I said Newbie mafia, I meant a TMM, not that you're a newbie. :lol: But as Aaryan said, activity has been down since the crash. :(

Crash? what crash? I missed this.

BrainDen crashed a while back and was down for several months.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I am thinking of hosting a game of Asylum Mafia. Since this will be my first time to ever be a host, I would appreciate some input on whether I should change some things in my plan to make the game run more smoothly. As of now, these are the roles, powers and wincons:

The Killers (baddies): Wincon: kill the Sane

Homicidal Psychotic: Night kill (must agree with other baddie on whom to kill)

Homicidal Maniac: same as HP

The Sane: Wincon: lynch baddies, release Hypochondriac

Asylum Guard: 3x lynch vote

Psychologist: release player from asylum/Night save

The Patients ("goodies"): Wincon: individual release from asylum

Pyromaniac: block

Schizophrenic: trap

Multiple Personality Disorder sufferer: 2x Night role act

Hallucinator: redirect

Paranoiac: survive lynch/Night kill one time

Compulsive Liar: can put one lie in the host's post each Day/Night cycle

The Pretender (Indy): Wincon: stay alive in asylum until game ends

Hypochondriac: role copy each Night

Any tips, edits, or words of wisdom for a first-time host? Thanks!

1. Only the Psychologist can release a person? Also, if the Psychologist releases a person, does he still get a save to use?

2. For the multiple personality role, "what does 2x night role act" mean?

3. For the Paranoiac, does this mean he can survive a lynch once and also have a kill once, or once he uses one of his powers the other one is gone? i.e. he is lynched but his ability saves him, can he still use his kill?

4. For the Killers (the baddies) does this mean they get 2 kills or one kill? Is there a NK carrier?

5. Do all Patients need to be released in order to end the game with a goodie win? What happens if the psychologist dies before all Patients are released?

6. Is there an OOA/OOP (an order of actions or an order of precedence)? i.e. what happens if the Pyromaniac blocks the Shizophrenic and the Schizophrenic traps the Pyromaniac? Which action goes through?

7. What happens if one of the Killers is killed during the night, not lynched? does the Sane wincon become impossible?

8. finally, what happens if the Hypochondriac copies either 1) the Asylum guard (daytime action) or 2) the Paranoiac?

Sorry for asking so many questions, by the way. :P

1. Only the Psychologist is capable of releasing a person, unless he dies before the Asylum Guard. In that case, the MPD sufferer takes over the Psychologist's role permanently. (If the Asylum Guard dies first, the MPD sufferer takes over the AG role). The Psychologist can only save once each Night and only release one person during each Day.

2. The MPD role can use two actions per Night (other than kill or save) such as blocking person X and trapping person Y.

3. What I meant for the Paranoiac was that if he was killed, either by Night kill or by lynch, he would not be removed from the game. In essence, he would survive one killing of his role. If, say, he was killed N2, he would get to live anyway, but if he was lynched again D4, he would die like normal.

4. The baddies must talk with one another and agree on one person to kill each night. If no consensus is reached, I will flip a coin to decide which of their targets dies.

5. Each individual Patient becomes a winner if they get released and don't die. It's not a team goal. For the second part, see #1.

6. The OOA is save>block>trap>kill>redirect. This does not apply to the Compulsive Liar or the Hypochondriac.

7. One killer cannot kill another killer. They will know who the other is, just as the Sane will know one another.

8. The Hypochondriac, just like the MPD sufferer, cannot copy either of the Sane. If he/she tries to copy the Paranoiac, he/she will appear to have been blocked.

I hope this clears things up!

Do the Sane have BTSC? If one of the Sane is killed and MPD takes over that ability, does he join their BTSC and does his wincon also change to be the same as the Sanes?

I'm guessing if they release a Patient or the Hypochondriac, the released player leaves the game. What happens if they try to release a baddie?

Depending on those answers, I might PM you with an analysis of strategies and their consequences that I shouldn't really post in the thread.

Tonight was not going well for Flame he just couldn't seem to find his way home. Kika was popular tonight. Sandy Claws offered to walk her home and it’s a good thing he did. On the trip there they ran into troublesome some trio and a big old swarm of bugs.

Day 2 ends at 8am on the 30th (I will be out late at Pride Fest tomorrow =D )

Edited by Magic_luver101

Do the Sane have BTSC? If one of the Sane is killed and MPD takes over that ability, does he join their BTSC and does his wincon also change to be the same as the Sanes?

I'm guessing if they release a Patient or the Hypochondriac, the released player leaves the game. What happens if they try to release a baddie?

Depending on those answers, I might PM you with an analysis of strategies and their consequences that I shouldn't really post in the thread.

Yes, the Sane have BTSC. Yes also for the MPD. If a baddie is released, a loss for the Sane is guaranteed, but others such as the Indy and the goodies can still achieve their wincon until all baddies or all Sane die.

Yes, the Sane have BTSC. Yes also for the MPD. If a baddie is released, a loss for the Sane is guaranteed, but others such as the Indy and the goodies can still achieve their wincon until all baddies or all Sane die.

If the MPD joins the Sane BTSC, do the baddies have to kill him too? I haven't looked at it too carefully, but at first glance it seems the baddies need some other abilities outside just the Night kill, a block/redirect/manipulate and maybe something that gathers information, since there is a good chance of a Sane/Innocent alliance. If you want me to be more specific, I can PM you like Plasmid.