BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Games to Come (e.g. Mafia)

Gmaster479

The Sane: Wincon: lynch baddies, release Hypochondriac
Asylum Guard: 3x lynch vote
Psychologist: release player from asylum/Night save

The Pretender (Indy): Wincon: stay alive in asylum until game ends
Hypochondriac: role copy each Night

Does the psychologist therefore keep hypochondriac from winning by releasing him?

Once freed, can a player re-enter the asylum?

• 2 weeks later...

If your game is ready to run and we still don't hear from Kikacat, how about go ahead and post the OP and we can have critique and signups at the same time? If it's a straightforward design then it probably won't need much if any tweaking. If you're not ready, I could go ahead and post one.

• 3 weeks later...

Working copy of Rules and Roles for JLU2: Of Magic and Men.  Note that now most of the roles have some sort of choice in their action, to make the game more involved and interesting.  Comments welcome!  Also taking reservations.  Sign-ups will probably go up in ~2 weeks and game will begin the first week of September, hopefully.

The 2nd Assemblage of Supervillains:
(Have BTSC, choose one player each Night to carry out kill, and once in the entire game, may save one player from the lynch)

Lex Luthor: (Man) A mere man, yet he earns the title of Superman’s greatest adversary for his intellect, ambition, and powers of manipulation. Each Night, he may control the actions of one player if he is able to correctly identify their role. Subject to all role restrictions (if he unknowingly breaks one of them or the player unknowingly breaks one of them due to having been manipulated, the player’s action will fail and he or they will be informed it failed). The player he is manipulating is subject to block/redirection. If he manipulates a role that receives information, he receives the information as well. The player he is manipulating is not informed they were manipulated. Cannot manipulate Amazo. If he manipulates the Flash or any Day action, must specify during the nth Night that he will use the action on the nth Day (and hence no other). He may choose the message targets during the Day.

Ares: (Magic) The God of War, not at all bitter about the lack of worship to him in the present era *whistling*. Uses his powers to rile up his opponents against each other. Any Day, may select a player to change the vote of. As it is a Day action, it cannot be blocked or redirected, but can be manipulated.

Solomon Grundy: (Magic) Undead zombie corpse of a mob boss, is short on wit but definitely not short on strength. Being undead, can only be killed at Night by the magic of Hawkgirl’s Nth metal mace and requires a majority of votes to lynch. Any Night, may use brute force to prevent a player from acting.

Felix Faust: (Magic) An ancient sorcerer (yeah, we mean ancient) on a never-ending quest for mystical power. He may channel the spirits of the dead. Any Night, he may use the abilities of a dead player if he can correctly identify their role or choose a player and determine if they are magic or man. Cannot channel Amazo (being an android who doesn’t have a spirit to channel), or Hawkgirl (being from a different world whence her spirit will return to upon death). Subject to all role restrictions, which are reset upon the player’s death.

The Independent:

Amazo/Professor Ivo’s Android: (Man...kinda) An innovation creation by the late Professor that can replicate the abilities of the beings it comes in contact with. Each Night, it may choose one player to learn their role and abilities (this action cannot be blocked, but may be redirected). On the nth Night, it may also use n/2 (rounded down) of the abilities it has learned. Not subject to any role restrictions, except Lex’s RID manipulate. If he replicates Superman, he gains his invulnerability and susceptibility to krytonite. Invincible for first two Nights and Days. If blocked or redirected, each block or redirect will only affect one of his abilities.

The Justice League:

Superman/Clark Kent: (Man) Somebody save me...well, that’s what he’s here for. Each Night, may choose one player to save. Cannot save himself and cannot be saved. Due to his Kryptonian physiology, he cannot be killed at Night without the aid of kryptonite. However, since studies have linked prolonged exposure to kryptonite to cancer, no one carries it around with them, hence an attacker must return to their secret HQ to retrieve it, and cannot perform any other Night action in addition to the kill. Use of kryptonite must be specified with the kill, and cannot be used two Nights in a row.

Batman/Bruce Wayne: (Man) The only JL member without superpowers, he is arguably the strongest due to his intelligence, discipline, and inner strength. Now comes equipped with his own trademarked utility belt! Any Night, may use an item on his belt, however, once the item is used, it will be gone and no longer available. If blocked, item is not used. Items on the belt (and their quantity):

Batarangs (2): May use to injure a player and prevent them from acting.

Grapple gun (1): May use to spirit himself and another player of his choosing out of danger (save).

Line Launcher (1): May use to zip line a player away, saving them from the lynch.

Cryptographic sequencer (1): May use to hack into a player’s computer and receive the same information they receive that Night.

Smoke pellets (3): May use to disguise himself so that he may watch and find out the players who acted on his target.

Tracers (3): May place on his target and find out who they acted on.

Kryptonite (1): (In lead casing) His backup plan, just in case...

Wonder Woman/Diana: (Magic) Themysciran Princess with power second to no man. Each Night, may use her lasso of truth to find the answer to one TRUE/FALSE question (PM’s question to host and host will answer TRUE/FALSE). Cannot be redirected. May not ask about pending actions.

Flash/Wally West: (Man) Fastest man on earth...and, as Hawkgirl likes to point out...single. Uses his super-speed to ferry messages b/w roles. Each Day he may choose two roles, one to send, one to receive and the next Night the sender will be informed they may send a message and to which role. The receiver will not be informed of the sender’s role. As it is a Day action, it cannot be blocked or redirected, but can be manipulated.

Green Lantern/John Stewart: (Man) Using his power ring as an extension of his will, he may choose to do one of the following actions each Night, not the same two Nights in a row: save, block, redirect. Cannot redirect a player to themselves. Cannot die as long as Hawkgirl is alive. If Hawkgirl dies, also gains the option to kill.

Hawkgirl/Shayera Hol: (Magic) Her tongue being the only thing sharper than the spikes on her Nth metal mace, this Thanagarian dynamo may target one player any Night to kill with her weapon or she may choose a player to find out if they are magic or man using the magical properties of her weapon. May not choose the kill action two Nights in a row and may not target the same player two Nights in a row. Knows the identity of Green Lantern. Is revealed when she dies.

Martian Manhunter/Jon Jones: (Man) Sole survivor of his species, each Night may use his telepathic abilities to delve into one player’s mind and redirect their action, or use his ability of invisibility to watch and learn which players acted on his target. Cannot redirect players to themselves. May not target the same player two Nights in a row.

Zatanna Zatara/Herself: (Magic) uoy no lleps a tsac lliw ytuaeb reH. Each Night, my use her backwards magic to undo an action if she can predict it. Predictions must be in the form “[role A] [performs X action] on [player B]”. Applies to the action itself, not what the player intended, so includes actions that are being manipulated and/or redirected and is assessed after manipulation/redirection. Zatanna’s action itself cannot be redirected.

Green Arrow/Oliver Queen: (Man) The world’s greatest archer...or so he likes to think. Always hits his target with deadly accuracy. Each Night, may choose a target and make their action unblockable and unredirectable, or choose a player to determine if they are Black Canary. If he finds Black Canary, gains BTSC with her. May not target the same player two Nights in a row.

Black Canary/Dinah Lance: (Man...well, not really but you know…) Strong willed and skilled at judo, each Night, may use her canary cry to either incapacitate a player, preventing them from acting, or to echo-locate them and find out their target. May not target the same player two Nights in a row.

Miscellaneous rules:

Things that will appear in Night Post: Kills, successful saves (including undo’s), blocks. Kryptonite use will not be shown. Block on block will result in a canceling out of actions and will not be shown (observing roles will also not see anything happening). Everything else in the Night/Day Post is subject to creative license ;P.

In the event of a tie: if the tie is due to use of Ares’s ability, no one dies. Otherwise, all tied players die and the last player(s) to add/remove/change their vote(s) to create the tie(s) dies.

All “cannot be killed at Night”’s will appear as saves, from a saving role that is not shown as acting otherwise in the Night Post if possible, otherwise random, and all “cannot be lynched/saved from lynch/no one dies” will be indistinguishable.

In case of loops: Manipulate>Redirect>Block

In case of roles acting on the same player: Lex’s manipulate>Amazo using Lex’s manipulate, Amazo using any redirect>Martian Manhunter’s redirect>Green Lantern’s redirect, and of course, any block will prevent the player from acting.

Redirect loops will be terminated on the first return, i.e. if A redirects a block to A, will show in the Night Post as A being blocked; if A redirects B’s redirect to A it will effectively block B’s redirect and nothing else will happen. Only the initial redirect target and action will be seen by observing roles, i.e. they will see A acted on B, but not B acted on A.

Unless otherwise specified, role abilities (things that a role must actively choose to do, i.e. actions) can be blocked/redirected/manipulated/copied, but role attributes (i.e. passives) cannot.

All actions are considered to be initiated at Night and ‘go through’ during the transition b/w Night and Day, so a player’s action will occur unless blocked or manipulated.

Players will not be informed of the success/failure of their actions unless otherwise stated.

Players are free to say whatever they wish in the thread as long as they do not make a false claim about the host or the rules. The host reserves the right to clarify any seeming misunderstanding about the rules.

No reproduction of game related material from outside the game thread in the game thread.

Please address your questions to the host in purple. Thanks!

Edited by Yoruichi-san

Sounds awesome, Y-San! Three questions though:

1. For Ares's ability, does the player whose vote he redirected know? Does everyone else know?

2. For Martian Manhunter's second ability, does he only know what players acted, or does he also know what they did? Also, how are redirects/manipulatations handled? For example, say A redirected B's action to C, and Martian Manhunter spied on C. Does he know anything about A? Ate there any actions that he will not know about? Such as information roles (like Black Canary's echolocation)?

3. As I understand, Felix Faust's ability is to either RID manipulate a dead player, or to ask whether any one player is Man or Magic. Did I understand that correctly?

Thanks!

P.S. Sorry, I can't use color, I'm on a phone

Sounds awesome, Y-San! Three questions though:

1. For Ares's ability, does the player whose vote he redirected know? Does everyone else know?

2. For Martian Manhunter's second ability, does he only know what players acted, or does he also know what they did? Also, how are redirects/manipulatations handled? For example, say A redirected B's action to C, and Martian Manhunter spied on C. Does he know anything about A? Ate there any actions that he will not know about? Such as information roles (like Black Canary's echolocation)?

3. As I understand, Felix Faust's ability is to either RID manipulate a dead player, or to ask whether any one player is Man or Magic. Did I understand that correctly?

Thanks!

P.S. Sorry, I can't use color, I'm on a phone

1)  Nope, no one knows except Ares and, of course, the other villains by proxy ;).

2)  He sees which players acted on his target, including information roles.  In your example he would be informed "Player B acted on your target".  He will not see non-targeted actions (i.e. Wonder Woman's ability or Zatanna's undo) or Day actions (i.e. Flash's message or Ares's ability).  Also, dead players can't be acted on, so he wouldn't see Faust's zombie manipulate.

3)  Yep, basically.  I like to call it the "zombie manipulate" ;).  It was originally intended to allow one member of the mafia to take over another important mafia role, but I decided to beef the mafia up in this game so I made it so that he can manipulate any player he knows the RID of, except for Amazo and Hawkgirl.  Since dead players can't be acted upon unless otherwise specified, the zombie player is not subject to being blocked or redirected or a competing manipulate, or I guess the undo, for that matter.

Don't worry about the color here, this is just a preview thread.  And keep the questions coming, I'm sure with so many action choices are like a number of possible interactions I haven't considered yet ^_^.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If anyone is still up for mafia, working on this:

Suicide Squad Mafia

The Joker - (wins if Batman, Deadshot, and Harley Quinn are dead)

Why so serious?  He’s not...except when it comes to a serious crime spree.  Any Night, may choose a player to kill.

Batman - (wins if Amanda Waller, King Shark, Killer Frost are dead) Gotham’s Dark Knight, fancies himself a protector of the people against the likes of everyone here.  Makes up for what he lacks in superpowers in discipline and tools on his trademarked utility belt.  May use an item every Night/Day cycle, but once it’s used it’s gone.  

Batarangs (2): May use to injure a player and prevent them from acting.

Grapple gun (1): May use to spirit himself and another player of his choosing out of danger (save).

Line Launcher (1): May use to zip line a player away, saving them from the lynch.   (May use this at any time during the Day but must either choose not to act the Night before or the Night after)

Tear gas pellets (3):  May use on a player to confuse them and redirect their target.

Lockpicks (3):  May use on a player to break into their home and discover their identity.

Sedatives (2):  May use to sedate a player and steal their vote.  (May use this at any time during the Day but must either choose not to act the Night before or the Night after)

Amanda Waller - (wins if The Joker, Captain Boomerang, and Black Spider are dead)

Has implanted bombs in the skulls of Suicide Squad members.  At any time, but only once per Night/Day cycle, may detonate a bomb if she sends the correct frequency, i.e. correctly identifies the role of a player.  Only works on Suicide Squad members, will take effect after the end of the Night or Day.

The Suicide Squad: (wins if all non Suicide Squad members are dead)

Deadshot/Floyd Lawton - Sporting an eye for deadly accuracy, each Night may select a player and discover their role.

Harley Quinn/Dr. Harleen Quinzel - Having recently gone through a bad breakup *cough*

King Shark - Rumored son of a shark god, each Night may save a player for dinner.

Killer Frost/Louise Lincoln - A former scientist with a chilly disposition.  Each Night may freeze a player and prevent them from acting.

Captain Boomerang/George Harkness - A master of sending and receiving, each Night may send a message to a player and receive a reply the next Day.

Black Spider/Eric Needham - A self-styled vigilante who believes all criminals should just die.  Any Night, but not two in a row, may target a player to kill.

9 Players, 6 innocents, 3 mafia/independent with individual cyclic win conditions, very rough draft (I watched Assault on Arkham and just had to make it ;P).

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...

Well since BD looks re-vamped and works flawlessly now (at least for me) I thought I'd host again if anyone wanted to play.

Either a sequel to Forgotten District or a new one themed after Westworld TV Series (that I admit has been oddly stuck in my mind thanks to that catchy tune). The second option would contain spoilers I'm afraid :))