BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Games to Come (e.g. Mafia)

Gmaster479

Also, and I'm aware that it may not be my place to say so but I'll say this anyways, get an experienced host to help you. My first mafia, a stupid mistake on my part helped a Baddie Win on N2, because my co-host wasn't online at all to help me, and, consequently, spot the error in the NP that basically outed the important roles needed for the baddies to kill. And when my other co-host found the mistake, it was too late. So definitely find a co-host.

1. the queue is a google doc. Just edit it and re-post the link.

2. It isn't *required* but many of the experienced players prefer for new (to them) hosts especially to have a cohost as a backup to make sure everything is working and to be there in case anything goes wrong. You don't need one, but be aware it may affect who signs up.

I really don't know how to edit such a thing and repost it.>_> Why on earth is the gueue so complicated a simple list is really all that is needed. How the heck am I supposed to sign up to host with such a confusing thing?

I am even more confused. Is the queue just a simple list or a complicated spreadsheet? If it's just a list, can someone post a copy of the list here so I can add my name and game to it?O_o

As pointed out earlier by Maurice, the link is last seen on page 38. Browse to 38 and find it.

The queue is a list in a spreadsheet. It's not hard to figure out if you apply a little tiny bit of logic.

Update the spreadsheet with the information it asks for and then copy and paste the link in a new post in this thread letting people know that you've updated it.

This is getting really old.-.- People negatively marking my posts just because I'm me? Grow up, people. Not being a spreadsheet master does not make me an idiot.-.-

I don't see what spreadsheets have to do with hosting or why I deserve to be looked down on just because I don't know how to use one and see it as overly-complicated. All you really need is a simple, normal list. Over-complicating things just chases people away.

Sticking my foot in the bear trap….(is that even an expression?)

Sak-C, here are a few observations that may help you understand why people are behaving the way they are towards you. Obviously, I am not speaking for anyone else on this site, just myself, these are the conclusions I have come to on this:

1) Brainden has a mafia community that has been around for a few years and has a “system” that they operate by (e.g. spreadsheet to track upcoming games) and a lot of group “norms” (e.g. playing style) that they as a group have determined work for them. They all seem to get along fairly well with that set up.

2) You are new to the group as of this summer (similar to myself).

3) You have some ideas of how maybe the group could operate differently, whether that be keeping a list instead of a spreadsheet or playing a different style of game.

4) People in general are resistant to change. This is especially true when someone they don’t know asks them to change and does not offer a sound reason or argument for why they should make that change.

5) Your posts come across that you are questioning the system and norms of the community and asking them to change those to fit the way you feel they should be. Your posts also come across that you think that the way you are suggesting is better than how they do it. The overall tone of your posts can easily be interpreted as borderline rude.

Note: I am giving you the benefit of the doubt that you do not INTEND your posts to come off this way; however as a neutral observer that is how they come across to me. From reactions others have had, I guess that they take them in a similar way.

6) It appears from the reaction of the long time community members that they are offended by the tone and content of your posts.

7) In the back and forth conversation this has continued to escalate as their response offends you, then your response offends them, and so on.

8) This all leads to some people giving a “-1” or “down rep” to every post you make that they don’t like.

Now for my opinion, which you can take or leave, doesn’t matter to me. Heck, “down rep” it if you don’t like it.

1) You are new to the community.

2) As a new member, it is YOUR responsibility to adapt to the way that the community operates.

3) It is NOT the community’s responsibility to change everything about how they work to accommodate a new person the second they walk through the door.

4) Once you integrate into the community, then you can try and affect change from within the community.

Comparison: start at a new job or a new school. You don’t go in on day one and start telling your boss or teacher/professor – “Why do you do it that way, that doesn’t work for me, why don’t we do it this way instead?” Probably would not go over to well, right?

That went on far longer than I had intended, oh well.

Edit: Font Size

Edited by smoth333

Sticking my foot in the bear trap….(is that even an expression?)

Sak-C, here are a few observations that may help you understand why people are behaving the way they are towards you. Obviously, I am not speaking for anyone else on this site, just myself, these are the conclusions I have come to on this:

1) Brainden has a mafia community that has been around for a few years and has a “system” that they operate by (e.g. spreadsheet to track upcoming games) and a lot of group “norms” (e.g. playing style) that they as a group have determined work for them. They all seem to get along fairly well with that set up.

2) You are new to the group as of this summer (similar to myself).

3) You have some ideas of how maybe the group could operate differently, whether that be keeping a list instead of a spreadsheet or playing a different style of game.

4) People in general are resistant to change. This is especially true when someone they don’t know asks them to change and does not offer a sound reason or argument for why they should make that change.

5) Your posts come across that you are questioning the system and norms of the community and asking them to change those to fit the way you feel they should be. Your posts also come across that you think that the way you are suggesting is better than how they do it. The overall tone of your posts can easily be interpreted as borderline rude.

Note: I am giving you the benefit of the doubt that you do not INTEND your posts to come off this way; however as a neutral observer that is how they come across to me. From reactions others have had, I guess that they take them in a similar way.

6) It appears from the reaction of the long time community members that they are offended by the tone and content of your posts.

7) In the back and forth conversation this has continued to escalate as their response offends you, then your response offends them, and so on.

8) This all leads to some people giving a “-1” or “down rep” to every post you make that they don’t like.

Now for my opinion, which you can take or leave, doesn’t matter to me. Heck, “down rep” it if you don’t like it.

1) You are new to the community.

2) As a new member, it is YOUR responsibility to adapt to the way that the community operates.

3) It is NOT the community’s responsibility to change everything about how they work to accommodate a new person the second they walk through the door.

4) Once you integrate into the community, then you can try and affect change from within the community.

Comparison: start at a new job or a new school. You don’t go in on day one and start telling your boss or teacher/professor – “Why do you do it that way, that doesn’t work for me, why don’t we do it this way instead?” Probably would not go over to well, right?

That went on far longer than I had intended, oh well.

Edit: Font Size

She's going to reply and say that you're attacking her. Watch.

no understanding what you're talking about? does SC wanted to change mafia on BD ??

HG, I was attempting to answer the (admittedly unspoken) question from Sak-C about why people keep down repping her posts.

I don't know if wants to change anything or not, though it appears in this thread she is asking for the spreadsheet to be changed to a list.

The fact that someone is downrepping her posts isn't due to this thread, but due to that there have been times that people have gotten into it with her in other threads. This is all my opinion of course, but I was legitimately trying to help her understand why there seem to be people that have a big enough issue with her to down rep every post she makes.

And since it is my opinion, well...as they say, opinions are like {censored}, everyone has one...

HG, I was attempting to answer the (admittedly unspoken) question from Sak-C about why people keep down repping her posts.

I don't know if wants to change anything or not, though it appears in this thread she is asking for the spreadsheet to be changed to a list.

The fact that someone is downrepping her posts isn't due to this thread, but due to that there have been times that people have gotten into it with her in other threads. This is all my opinion of course, but I was legitimately trying to help her understand why there seem to be people that have a big enough issue with her to down rep every post she makes.

And since it is my opinion, well...as they say, opinions are like {censored}, everyone has one...

I downrep every post of hers where she complains, says that something isn't fair, doesn't listen to a previous post, or is just an all-around idiot.

It's not my fault that all of her posts meet at least one of the above list. *Shrug*

You'll see what I mean shortly.

Edited by Molly Mae

Guys, I know y'all have, let's call them "issues", with Sak-C, but let's not bring them into every single thread where she posts. Let's cut it off here, and get back to the business of tracking upcoming games.

@Sak-C: the spreadsheet format allows us to compactly contain and organize not just the name of a game but also who's hosting, the thread link, and any other information that is important (i.e. host can't be here from x date to y date, delayed b/c host can't come, etc.) All you have to do is click on one of the boxes and edit what it says. Repeat until you've input whatever you want to add. Don't remove ongoing games. Then hit the save button and copy/post the link back here.

This is what we've found works best for us, and please don't ask us to change it just for you. You have not explicitly asked that, I know, but some of your posts on queues usually just being a "simple list" come across (not saying that's intentional) as meaning you think we ought to change it. Before you respond, please take a deep breath, reread, and see that I am trying my best not to say anything that might offend you despite my not meaning that way, let alone actually trying to offend you.

Ha Ha!!

The shadow calling the kettle black :lol:

What do you mean? I was offering her legitimate advice, not bagging on her as MM has done with his last several posts, and as seems to happen anywhere she appears. And it is this bagging on her that I asked to end.