BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Games to Come (e.g. Mafia)

Gmaster479

I am working with Aki on a mafia design and she pointed me to the Balance sheet on MM and I have taken it and created an excel spreadsheet to automate the calculations and am planning to link it to a sheet to take the info for roles and factions and put it on a sheet for an OP. And I will probably build in a randomizer that can take a roster and assign roles.

But for now it is just a sheet to automate the Balance phase. Is there any interest in my sharing this and where would it go? Or has somebody already created such a tool?

Also, I notice there is no mention of Vanilla in the equations for game balance. Should they not be considered? That number has a big impact I would think. If the game balance is currently modified for vanilla numbers after going through this process, I can easily build that into my sheet.

Updated Queue.

Current order:

1. TMM-V - In progress

2. Sholay - In progress

3. Coup of Rhotus

Also, I notice there is no mention of Vanilla in the equations for game balance. Should they not be considered? That number has a big impact I would think. If the game balance is currently modified for vanilla numbers after going through this process, I can easily build that into my sheet.

Thanks for sharing the tool with us.

About the Vanilla question, no, it is not captured/weighted directly in the balance weighting system. It is captured indirectly only for inheritable roles or when adjusting wincons based on number of players in the game.

While it is clear that a 2 vs 5 game is not the same if one adds 10 vanilla goodies making it 2 vs 15, the weighting system currently shows the same weights. My own personal bias on this matter is that vanillas should somehow be scored indirectly - for example adjusting the sum of weights from the abilities of the minority/baddie faction with the number of other faction players. This factor would represent the "opposition" that is faced by a faction number-wise. In the above example, the 10 vanilla goodies would still be weighted as adding 0 to the power of the goodie faction, but the extra 10 vanillas would diminish the power of the baddie faction. This would capture the imbalance. But I have not come up with a good formula that would work with the current weighting system devised by BrandonB. I fiddled in my head with dividing with the number of opposition players (1/5, 1/10) or multiplying by own numbers/other numbers (2/5, 2/15 in the examples). Still, it does not seem that linear and these formula would break the current system, since in its current form, the weights show balance for a game without vanillas.

Edited by araver

@araver

I had made an observation that in any game a vote is generally able to lynch a player about 25% of the times (I've never seen more than 4 people being voted against in a lynch). So I'd say a vote has power equivalent to power of kill / (25% * number of players)

OR Vote = 4 * Kill / Number of players

though this can further be refined by replacing N with number of players unknown to you (as you don't lynch your known faction mates) but a generic formula like above can be used if we were to assign simple weights. The later is what I used to check the balance in my games.

Hrm...I've been thinking about making a game based off of an old anime I used to watch: Digimon. I'll just throw that mafia idea out there and see if I can eventually make something out of it

Hrm...I've been thinking about making a game based off of an old anime I used to watch: Digimon. I'll just throw that mafia idea out there and see if I can eventually make something out of it

I use to watch it. Then the series finished. :(

I use to watch it. Then the series finished. :(

Yeah...the first four were the only ones I thought were worth watching, so I'll probably make four mafias and leave it at that.

Anyway, I already have a first draft for the Digimon roles, but I think I'll wait before I post it up. Need to get back into the game first.

edit:updated que

Edited by LJayden

There was one that included characters from both of them along with some other animes. I think it was Anime Showdown or something like that, not sure if the host is still active.

There is one right now in the que for the Fast Lane on MM called Manga Mafia that also includes characters from both anime as well as some others. It comes after Game Show and Alpha & Omega. Darth Nox is the host, not sure if he has cohost or not.

MM has lists for mafias in que, ready to go, in design, and also past mafias.

I used to not like MM until I was told you can change the display theme there. I use the Purple theme which I think looks the best and now I like MM. It is a great place for mafia, arcade games, chatting, and also real time chat mafias that start and last like 15 minutes per game.

The only other anime mafia in the works now is Vampire Knight. I do not know if anybody else is interested in doing an anime mafia. I could do one with an idea I just saw for a new kind of mafia. There are 4 factions, and there are 4 btsc, but the people in your btsc are not necessarily in your faction. The btsc are mixed up. It is basically a 4 faction indy mafia with btsc infiltrators, and also powers are decided daily within btsc. I could use that for a mafia with factions for anime baddies, magical girls, shonen, and anime detectives. Maybe call it Super Crazy Mixed Up Anime Teams. I am already working on an Easter Egg mafia though and have an idea for a Co op Mall Madness Mafia that I have not posted yet as well.