BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

The preamble to this question is long, but the question itself is short.

When, in 1582, Pope Gregory XIII reformed our Calendar (from the Julian version,) it was specified that the day after Thursday, 4 October was decreed to be Friday, 15 October. The cycle of weekdays was not affected. The same idea was used when, in 1752, the Brits, who then included the Eastern part of what not long thereafter became the USA, proclaimed that the day after Wednesday, 2 September would become Thursday, 14 September.

All around the World, there were many hiccups about changing from the Julian to the Gregorian system. Possibly one of the most difficult was when Russia, still using the Julian Calendar, sold Alaska to the Americans, who for some time had been using the Gregorian Calendar. When this occurred, in Alaska at least, the day after Friday, 6 October 1867 was decreed to be Friday, 18 October 1867, not Saturday.

My question is “Why was a Friday followed by a Friday for Alaska?” The answer is quite simple.

3 answers to this question

I googled it and get it. But I won't write it here because it is such a logical solution that I regret now as why I didn't solve it myself. And I propose you to think a little about geographic position of Alaska!

Please, people, don't you think such idiocities can be fun?

You are both there. When Alaska decided to remove itself from Russian to American sovereignty it also decided to cross the International Date Line.