BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Brush Up Mafia

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Day 2 - Revelations

The chief returned to work with a heavy heart. He had had a wonderful day at the theatre and delicious dinner with his girl. The actor who played the Phantom of the Opera had a superb voice that had sent shivers up his spine. It was funny, though, that at dinner, his thoughts had continally drifted back to the problems he was having at the precinct. He was losing his officers left and right, and couldn't figure out how to stop it.

The chief entered his office perplexed. His assistant, with whom he had talked earlier in the day, was not at his usual place. Unfortunately, the chief knew that his assistant was having computer problems. While it would have been nice to have scsw's sage advice, the chief realized that he would have to do things on his own. He rose, deciding to try to rally the troops.

The chief wandered around the precinct. He had already lost two officers and his paramedic, and was determined not to lose any more. As he wandered the hallways, he understood that the precinct was quieter than it should be. No one seemed to be around. He wandered into the firing range. It was as loud in the range as it was quiet in the precinct. He walked down the line, searching for the source of shooting. In the last lane, he found whom he had expected; one person who seemingly lived at the range. It was how the chief himself became a SWAT officer, living at the firing range. Relieved, at the sight, he signalled the range master to call a cease fire.

"Wilson, you preparing for tonight?" the chief asked.

"No, chief. Look, it's a lost cause. I realize that, and you should too. Get out while you can. I, myself, am moving to the United Kingdom. At least they have stricter gun laws there."

"You're leaving? What about the others?"

"Look, you have two, well, now make that one, officer left here. I advise you to get out while you can."

"Speaking of, have you seen our other officer?"

"Nope," the sniper replied, turning back to face downrange. He called out to the rangemaster, "Can I get going, I don't have much time before I leave."

The rangemaster looked over at the chief, who nodded. "Fire at will!" came the rangemaster's command.

The chief left the range and returned to his office. He noticed a note he had not seen on his desk, written in an unfamiliar script. It told him to call the US Marshals Service. He thought to himself that was odd, and picked up the phone. As he did so, he noticed two men in suits enter the office. He thought to himself correctly that they looked like the prototypical Hoover men and set his phone back down. "How can I help the Marshal Service?" he asked his visitors.

"We're here to talk to you about one of your detectives," the marshal replied. He looked down at his notebook. "A detective...EDM."

"What about her?" the chief asked. The chief came to the realization that this was probably going to be the reason that EDM didn't show up for work this day.

"It's about a case she was involved in with us last year. This gang you have here, Los Pollos Locos, is small potatoes compared to these guys. We need her alive, and we thought it prudent that she enter the Witness Protection Program," the marshal replied.

"So what am I to do?" asked the chief.

"That's your problem, not ours," came the cold reply.

The chief watched the two marshals leave. He was feeling depressed. He stood up, making his decision. The mayor and his assistant could have this armpit of a town; let them figure out how to get rid of Los Pollos Locos. He knew, though, that without any officers, it would be a lost cause. He walked out of his office, leaving it unlocked. He wasn't coming back anyway.

El Jefe looked around the house. He had taken the crime scene tape down, for there was no one left to arrest him for doing so. He decided that if the bloodstains of the Precinct Sergeant outside from the drive-by weren't enough to ward people off, he'd leave the bloodstains of the Undercover Cop whom his partner had set up on the inside. That should ensure that any person that came to this house knew that the occupants were not those with which one should trifle.

He sat on the couch in the back room. He thought long and hard about his name. In English, his name translated into, "The Leader." In English, his real name, "Prince," was synonomous with that. Odd that things worked out that way, but sometimes life has crazy coincidences.

Now that he had taken over Precinct 13, he had control of the city. Looking over his followers in the room, he had a sudden realization; Manicomio was a madhouse, but that was not enough for him. With this group, he could easily set his sights higher, and potentially take over more. Maybe the whole state. Perhaps, if he played his cards right, the whole country.

An idea came to him.

"DudleyDude, how hard do you think it would be for you to become an FBI agent?"

Host: tpaxatb

Co-Host: scsw

Manicomio Citizens:

1. DudleyDude - [Rogue Cop]

2. DarthNoob - [Paramedic] Fired for not meshing with the other officers on

3. Crazypainter - [Undercover Cop] Assassinated during a drug raid by LPL on

4. MrsP - [Precinct Sergeant] Killed in a drive-by by LPL on

5. Marth - [El Jefe]

6. Wilson - [SWAT Sniper] Fled Manicomio in fear of LPL before Night 3 could start

7. EDM - [Detective] Entered witness protection on Day 2

Since the only action possible is the death of Wilson on Night 3, I decided to call the game and spare his life :)

I'll post some notes and the action list in a few...

Edit: add spoiler around roles

Edited by tpaxatb

Here, for your masochistic viewing pleasure, are the actions:

Night 1:

El Jefe (Prince Marth) kill CrazyPainter

Rogue Cop (DudleyDude) block MrsP (message below)

Paramedic (DarthNoob)  save DudleyDude

Undercover Cop (CP)    Faction spy of DarthNoob

Sergeant  (MrsP)       block DudleyDude

SWAT Officer (Wilson)  NO ACTION

Detective (EDM)        Action Spy DarthNoob

RESULTS:

CP Killed

MrsP Blocked

Save innefective (obviously, not required)

Faction Spy ineffective (player killed)

block of DudleyDude ineffective (baddie block trumps goodie block)

Action spy of DarthNoob returns "DarthNoob targeted DudleyDude"

Message to MrsP in baddie block:

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing,

Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before

But the silence was unbroken, yet your actions blocked and broken,

And the only words there spoken were the whispered words, `No More!'

Night 2:

El Jefe (Prince Marth) kill MrsP

Rogue Cop (DudleyDude) NO ACTION

Paramedic (DarthNoob)  DEAD

Undercover Cop (CP)    DEAD

Sergeant  (MrsP)       block Wilson

SWAT Officer (Wilson)  kill MrsP

Detective (EDM)        Action Spy MrsP

RESULTS:

MrsP Killed by LPL (if Wilson had not been blocked...would have been killed in a crossfire)

Wilson Blocked

Action spy of MrsP returns "MrsP targeted Wilson"

So some thoughts

This game, due to the relatively few players, really really really required the goodies to rally after the first lynch. As you can see above, the baddies in this game were really good at pitting the goodies against each other. I'm not sure how much this helped them, but using the poem in the night 1 block seems to have worked better than I would have thought. When they first did that, I thought for sure that MrsP would see right through it as a framing attempt. That pretty much made every single goodie on Night 2 target MrsP. Even if MrsP had blocked Marth, Wilson had her targeted for a kill. In addition, the only person that would have had the information to save DarthNoob on Day 1 lynch was CP (since she would have had his faction). Yet the baddies killed her first. I think that having Marth on the baddie team may have tipped the scales a bit too much in their favor, even with the fact that their block was only on odd nights. Really, the only way the baddies could have lost after night 2 was for one of them to be lynched...every single scenario after that with the players that were left had the baddies winning (although a tied lynch on day 2 *could* have ended up with one of them killed). The only way for one of the baddies to have been lynched would have been for one of them to have not voted. That wouldn't have happened with these two baddies, they were too active :)

I thank all the players for being as active as they were (especially those in the odd time zones), I really didn't want to have to find replacements :D

One final thing: I don't know what's worse. Playing the game, and being frustrated; or hosting the game, knowing what's going on, and being frustrated. :)

Edit: PS I hope that you all enjoyed the stories...I tried my best...inspired by some of the better story tellers here :)

Edited by tpaxatb

Oh, you little rat! You, tpaxtb, are more worthless than a lame llama drunk on NyQuil! Weren't for those rhymes (nice ones, btw), I'd have lived! We could have won!!!!!!!!!

(I'm joking, btw)

Ah. That's why you were saying I was close. Wrong about EDM, but correct about Wilson sniping MrsP. Cool. Furthermore, MrsP blocked Wilson... I totally forgot to consider her action (though it was doubly pointless in this case).

I'm not sure why MrsP was so popular a choice for night 2 though. If I was Wilson, I woulda sniped EDM. Moreover, why did Marth take MrsP out?

The biggest mystery is EDM's post! If she hadn't voted for me, there'd have been a tie. I wouldn't have saved MrsP night 2, but I would have had a chance to save somebody night 3. Chances would still be in favor of baddies winning, though.

EDIT: the baddies sent the block message?

Edited by DarthNoob

I think the biggest disadvantage the goodies had was the fact that EDM is in an odd time zone, currently GMT+4. This means that the cycles were ending pretty much in the middle of the night - normally it looked like she doesn't log in after 2:00PM EDT. That's a whole 8 hours that she wasn't able to participate...

I think they killed MrsP night 2 because they feared her daytime debating skills more than they feared Wilson's (they were targeting EDM on Day 2).

Oh, and by the way, I forgot. This was the block post sent to MrsP. Note that it ties with the story line of the assistant going to the shower.

Night 1 - Betrayals (side story)

MrsP stepped out of the shower feeling refreshed. "That's the way to end a day," she thought. But there was an air of uncertainty in the room. MrsP's instincts bristled. As she walked around the corner, she felt herself pushed from behind against the lockers that knocked the wind out of her. MrsP attempted to break free from the hold, but all she felt was heavy breathing next to her ear, whispering:

"Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing,

And the only words there spoken were the whispered words, `No More!'"

Just as the message was complete, the sound of a door opening startled both the attacker and victim.

"Remember what I told you. And don't go blabbing this around," the assailant ordered as he pushed MrsP to the ground.

MrsP pushed herself to her feet, wondering what had just happened. "Hey, officer, you OK?" MrsP heard behind her.

"Yes. I just tripped," she said as she hastily exited the locker room.

Here, for your masochistic viewing pleasure, are the actions:

Night 1:

El Jefe (Prince Marth) kill CrazyPainter

Rogue Cop (DudleyDude) block MrsP (message below)

Paramedic (DarthNoob)  save DudleyDude

Undercover Cop (CP)    Faction spy of DarthNoob

Sergeant  (MrsP)       block DudleyDude

SWAT Officer (Wilson)  NO ACTION

Detective (EDM)        Action Spy DarthNoob

RESULTS:

CP Killed

MrsP Blocked

Save innefective (obviously, not required)

Faction Spy ineffective (player killed)

block of DudleyDude ineffective (baddie block trumps goodie block)

Action spy of DarthNoob returns "DarthNoob targeted DudleyDude"

Message to MrsP in baddie block:

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing,

And the only words there spoken were the whispered words, `No More!'

Night 2:

El Jefe (Prince Marth) kill MrsP

Rogue Cop (DudleyDude) NO ACTION

Paramedic (DarthNoob)  DEAD

Undercover Cop (CP)    DEAD

Sergeant  (MrsP)       block Wilson

SWAT Officer (Wilson)  kill MrsP

Detective (EDM)        Action Spy MrsP

RESULTS:

MrsP Killed by LPL (if Wilson had not been blocked...would have been killed in a crossfire)

Wilson Blocked

Action spy of MrsP returns "MrsP targeted Wilson"

So some thoughts

This game, due to the relatively few players, really really really required the goodies to rally after the first lynch. As you can see above, the baddies in this game were really good at pitting the goodies against each other. I'm not sure how much this helped them, but using the poem in the night 1 block seems to have worked better than I would have thought. When they first did that, I thought for sure that MrsP would see right through it as a framing attempt. That pretty much made every single goodie on Night 2 target MrsP. Even if MrsP had blocked Marth, Wilson had her targeted for a kill. In addition, the only person that would have had the information to save DarthNoob on Day 1 lynch was CP (since she would have had his faction). Yet the baddies killed her first. I think that having Marth on the baddie team may have tipped the scales a bit too much in their favor, even with the fact that their block was only on odd nights. Really, the only way the baddies could have lost after night 2 was for one of them to be lynched...every single scenario after that with the players that were left had the baddies winning (although a tied lynch on day 2 *could* have ended up with one of them killed). The only way for one of the baddies to have been lynched would have been for one of them to have not voted. That wouldn't have happened with these two baddies, they were too active :)

I thank all the players for being as active as they were (especially those in the odd time zones), I really didn't want to have to find replacements :D

One final thing: I don't know what's worse. Playing the game, and being frustrated; or hosting the game, knowing what's going on, and being frustrated. :)

Edit: PS I hope that you all enjoyed the stories...I tried my best...inspired by some of the better story tellers here :)

Tpax, this was great! I love having a recap at the end of a game. Thank you so much! And Marth, what happened to my prince? You guys (royalty) are supposed to save the girl remember????

:P But next game if you are so quiet I am gunning for ya!

Aye, DN. I wrote the message to implicate you. Not sure if MrsP actually bought it or not, but she targeted you for the first lynch so I was happy :)

And you had the foresight to realize that two votes may not be enough to lynch me, so you voted early enough and tentatively enough to make you look innocent, no? (this occurred to me, as a slight possibility, after a while of being dead, er, fired)

Edited by DarthNoob

And you had the foresight to realize that two votes may not be enough to lynch me, so you voted early enough and tentatively enough to make you look innocent, no? (this occurred to me, as a slight possibility, after a while of being dead, er, fired)

Something like that. This was my first time playing so I wasn't sure how the day phases would go. I was hoping that the first day would be a mob mentality type thing and that neither Marth or myself would be pointed at first. Having EDM vote with MrsP so early and then disappear also helped a lot. I could just "go along with the crowd" and that way Marth didn't even need to vote. I have a feeling that the HSM2 will be much more complicated so I'm looking forward to it.

Haha I am too dumb to even know you were tying to implicate DN, I REALLY did get him on random.org! And after he died I KNEW I would be targeted by the baddies, because the vote had gone the way I started, and they would be afraid I would push it again. Can't believe I accidentally did what they wanted me to do.

Great game, even though it was fast. You did really well tpax! I had a good time. I look forward to Manicomio 2.

Edit: The way I played, and not even noticing that frame attempt shows how new of a player I still am :blush:

Edited by MrsP

oh my......i've missed SOOOOOO much!!!!! :(

my computer suddenly got problems and it's not working now.......that's why i've being out of the action......stupid computer... :angry:

i was hoping to die or something (i know, ridiculous right?) but i was put in a witness protection program!!!! even better!!!!!! :D :D

congrats baddies..... :)

oh and btw, i was strangely suspicious of DarthNoob......dunno why, so sorry i voted you off.....if you were kept safe i would have voted off DD or Marth for sure!!!

can't wait for the next game (after i learn logic and get my computer fixed!)

cya......for now....:)

P.S: i'm using the school computer.....:D

Edited by EDM

Well, EDM, I hope you enjoyed it. Like I said, it wouldn't have mattered whether you tied the lynch or not, since the only outcome at that point was a baddie win...if you had tied the lynch all that would have meant was that it was indeterminate when the game was over and how many baddies were left...If it was a tied lynch I would have run one more night cycle and changed the story based on those actions. Trust me, you made my life easier :D

A second brushup mafia is in the pipeline. ;)

If anyone wants to host one before it is posted, please feel free to. *looks at UR* :)

It'll probably go after Ye Olde Mafia II.

Edited by scsw