BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Brush Up Mafia

DN, I really got you on random.org - Day1 is always hard. But for you to just switch it back to me without giving a reason besides retaliation seems very much like a baddie to me. You didn't give a defense, you just said you will change it as soon as I change it to someone else. That makes me feel like you are a baddie now. So now it's not a random.org vote anymore and it is a vote out of suspicion. I think we all need to hear a defense from you now, you just made yourself look like a baddie, so if you aren't prove it to us.

That, dear madam, is illogical. You decided to lynch me without reason, and then blame me for lynching you, even though I do have a reason? I'm trying to get you to not lynch me. If I was a bad guy, I would try to get you to not lynch me so that the baddies would win. If I was a good guy, I would try to get you to not lynch me so that the innocents would win.

However, as you requested additional reason for me... if I didn't need to retaliate against either you or EDM, I would probably pick Wilson.

Wilson was the first to have a suspicion of anybody:

WOW. :o Obviously my suspicions about crazypainter were well off.

"REST IN PEACE!"

Why would he suspect CP? He had no reason to. Thus, I think he was trying to make people think he was innocent - because baddies wouldn't need to suspect anybody. Wilson was also the first to mention paranoia, and only a baddie would be paranoid (except innocents put on the lynching block).

If you, MrsP, or EDM changes there vote, I will change to Wilson. (explanation for why this is crossed out is in the second edit)

EDIT:

If you're willing to hear this, I can make lyrics

Lyrics to entertain, no one will be the same

Whether quoting Poe or just beating a new flow,

Gimme life for song it's quid pro quo.

Oh, and there's one more thing you should know, so

- wait, no, I'm not prepared just yet to say so!

I'll amend this line if MrsP doesn't change her mind.

Alright so here we go -

If you guys lynch me out, the innocents will lose no doubt

EDIT2:

Holy crap. The Baddies can pm each other, so therefore they'd lynch the same person. The first round, they know as little as we do, so they could use a random system also. Plus, MrsP accused me of acting without reason and appearing to be a baddie, even though her reasoning was nonsensical. If MrsP and EDM are the baddies, it'd make perfect sense.

Furthermore, MrsP accused me of making a reasonless accusation. Well, EDM definitely had a reasonless accusation. Sorry for suspecting Wilson, but I'm changing my vote to EDM.

Edited by DarthNoob

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure I've enough experience at this game yet to follow all the twisty logic. But I would like to comment on the actual voting mechanism. First, it is difficult to keep track of who's voting for whom if everyone doesn't post the roster with votes when they vote or change their vote. Second, I think I like the original voting style a little better than what was suggested by DN. I think it'll get a bit messy DN's way once people start changing their votes. But whichever way we go with, I do think we need to post the roster with votes every time one of us makes a vote or changes a vote. Because right now, I'm not sure if EDM has actually made a vote for lynching or just an accusation towards DN.

AN FYI

Voting is pretty standard in mafias here. You put who you are voting FOR next to YOUR name in the list of players. In addition, when voting, ensure that you copy the latest list of votes (the last message that has a voting list) and add or change your vote in your message. Otherwise, there'll be chaos and confusion (and I almost missed EDMs vote)

In addition, I understand that school is back in session, and that we have different time zones and such, but...let's just say I would like to see some more conversation from the three players who have not yet voted...

The current votes are (please correct if wrong)

Host: tpaxatb

Co-Host: scsw

Manicomio Citizens:

1. DudleyDude

2. DarthNoob - voting for MrsP

3. Crazypainter - [?] Assassinated during a drug raid by LPL

4. MrsP - voting for DarthNoob

5. Marth

6. Wilson

7. EDM - voting for DarthNoob

EDIT2:

Holy crap. The Baddies can pm each other, so therefore they'd lynch the same person. The first round, they know as little as we do, so they could use a random system also. Plus, MrsP accused me of acting without reason and appearing to be a baddie, even though her reasoning was nonsensical. If MrsP and EDM are the baddies, it'd make perfect sense.

Furthermore, MrsP accused me of making a reasonless accusation. Well, EDM definitely had a reasonless accusation. Sorry for suspecting Wilson, but I'm changing my vote to EDM.

While the Baddies do have BTSC, the chances that they'd vote for the same person FIRST THING is highly unlikely. Why would they out themselves so quickly and openly. You're beginning to look highly suspicious...Trying to push guilt onto someone else. :ph34r:

AN FYI

Voting is pretty standard in mafias here. You put who you are voting FOR next to YOUR name in the list of players. In addition, when voting, ensure that you copy the latest list of votes (the last message that has a voting list) and add or change your vote in your message. Otherwise, there'll be chaos and confusion (and I almost missed EDMs vote)

In addition, I understand that school is back in session, and that we have different time zones and such, but...let's just say I would like to see some more conversation from the three players who have not yet voted...

The current votes are (please correct if wrong)

Manicomio Citizens:

1. DudleyDude

2. DarthNoob - voting for MrsP

5. Marth

6. Wilson

Thanks for clearing up the roster thing! I was confused.

While the Baddies do have BTSC, the chances that they'd vote for the same person FIRST THING is highly unlikely. Why would they out themselves so quickly and openly. You're beginning to look highly suspicious...Trying to push guilt onto someone else. :ph34r:

But we're all new to this game - or maybe they anticipated that defense. I still think MrsP's second accusation (the non-random one) was unusual, and EDM's post even more so.

As for "You're beginning to look highly suspicious...Trying to push guilt onto someone else." Well, hasn't everybody else done the same thing, pushing guilt on to me?

Also, does nobody has a comment on my Wilson suspicion?

Addendum: MrsP stated that she was selecting me via a random process (as has been said before, this is only Day 1). EDM knew it was random, yet she went along with it anyway (and remember, this was before I even posted a reply). MrsP and EDM might not be in cohorts, but there's got to be something up with EDM.

Edit: I just read DarthNoob's post fully. This is why you always post the roster if you change a vote:

Manicomio Citizens:

1. DudleyDude

2. DarthNoob - voting for EDM

5. Marth

6. Wilson

Btw, I changed my vote earlier, so this needs updating:

Manicomio Citizens:

1. DudleyDude

5. Marth

6. Wilson

EDIT: Haha. Didn't see you fixed it ^^

Edited by DarthNoob

I don't have a lot of time during daytime because of work so I may change my vote again after more discussion and I have more time to think. DN, I think Wilson was suspicious of CP because of the unsolicited viewing thing. I thought that was kind of obvious based on the original post. Kind of weird that you didn't catch that. But I do agree that EDM's quick post was strange. I more accustomed to her being a bit more verbose. Anyway, I think almost all the arguments this early in the game will be mostly circular since we don't really have much to go on.

Manicomio Citizens:

1. DudleyDude - voting for DarthNoob

5. Marth

6. Wilson

Hey Folks. Sorry I work late on a Thursday, just finished.

Iwas sus. of crazypainter as she added me to her friends list pm.

Thought this was a ruse(Wrong!)She also mentioned paranoia 1st.

Re narrative....is it usual/unusual for clues or hints to be given?

Ah. Consider yourself unsuspected... for now! *dramatic Da, Da, Daaaa*

--

Here's a riddle for all you to see

I hope it's the innocent that solve this and save me:

Dependent, loathed - DarthNoob, trapped!

Lame, even sad - alienated, Sacked!

EDIT:

I don't have a lot of time during daytime because of work so I may change my vote again after more discussion and I have more time to think. DN, I think Wilson was suspicious of CP because of the unsolicited viewing thing. I thought that was kind of obvious based on the original post. Kind of weird that you didn't catch that. But I do agree that EDM's quick post was strange. I more accustomed to her being a bit more verbose. Anyway, I think almost all the arguments this early in the game will be mostly circular since we don't really have much to go on.

I didn't understand what an "unsolicited viewing" was (I actually made a post asking what that was), and then I promptly forgot about it.

So... EDM is the only one of us who has done anything to elicit actual, palpable suspicion. Why are you lynching me too??? All I've done is talk a lot, and well, like EDM I can be verbose(especially when I'm procrastinating homework.) Not to mention that I was the first one to be voted for, and without reason!

The first vote was: random. (I still hold that MrsP's second post was completely illogical)

The second vote was: reasonless.

The third vote, yours: jumping on the bandwagon, or I've said something suspicious.

Anyway, I hope somebody has fun solving the riddle (even if it ends up being a baddie)

Edited by DarthNoob

Does anybody know a way around the time limit for editing? I was actually in the process of editing the last post, but by the time I finished writing it told me I didn't have permission to post it.

Anyway...

Maybe one reason I'm a popular first lynch in mafia games (the live games I've played) is that I actually FIGHT, and people construe that as the habit of a guilty person. That's occurred to me before. Thing is, I'm always going to use logic to the best of my ability, and try to express it the best I can. Maybe I express it too loudly. But right now, I sure as hell am going to FIGHT with every post, until somebody realizes that this bandwagon is a mistake, and innocents have just as much reason to deny accusations as do the guilty (because unlike real life, the truth doesn't come out until most people are dead and one faction decimated)

Hey Folks. Sorry I work late on a Thursday, just finished.

Iwas sus. of crazypainter as she added me to her friends list pm.

Thought this was a ruse(Wrong!)She also mentioned paranoia 1st.

Re narrative....is it usual/unusual for clues or hints to be given?

In this mafia, because of the number of players and the skill levels (and due to my writing style): Any clues or hints in the narrative itself are purely coincidental. There is one thing (well 2) that should be garnered from the narrative:

1) CP was killed

2) scsw's having computer troubles.

Edit: For everybody's benefit, BrainDen's post edit time limit is 10 minutes.

Edited by tpaxatb

In this mafia, because of the number of players and the skill levels (and due to my writing style): Any clues or hints in the narrative itself are purely coincidental. There is one thing (well 2) that should be garnered from the narrative:

1) CP was killed

2) scsw's having computer troubles.

Edit: For everybody's benefit, BrainDen's post edit time limit is 10 minutes.

We can also figure that CP was not the Sergeant (good guy's every night block), right?

Hey DarthNoob. Man you know I've never been good at solving your works.

But was wondering what inspired you for the "Poe" post?

I was eager to get playing, so I wanted to post something, and I thought it'd be nice atmosphere for the first night.

EDIT: The riddle, PoW that is, shouldn't be too difficult

Edited by DarthNoob

I didn't understand what an "unsolicited viewing" was (I actually made a post asking what that was), and then I promptly forgot about it.

So... EDM is the only one of us who has done anything to elicit actual, palpable suspicion. Why are you lynching me too??? All I've done is talk a lot, and well, like EDM I can be verbose(especially when I'm procrastinating homework.) Not to mention that I was the first one to be voted for, and without reason!

The first vote was: random. (I still hold that MrsP's second post was completely illogical)

The second vote was: reasonless.

The third vote, yours: jumping on the bandwagon, or I've said something suspicious.

Anyway, I hope somebody has fun solving the riddle (even if it ends up being a baddie)

It was not illogical, as other people can now see as they are voting for you as well. I randomly voted for you, which would usually probe a defense and we got nothing, besides pushing the blame back. You even hinted in your rhyme you'd give a defense then said in it that you only would if I didn't change my vote. I still don't think we have had a legit reason for your innocence.

Does anybody know a way around the time limit for editing? I was actually in the process of editing the last post, but by the time I finished writing it told me I didn't have permission to post it.

Anyway...

Maybe one reason I'm a popular first lynch in mafia games (the live games I've played) is that I actually FIGHT, and people construe that as the habit of a guilty person. That's occurred to me before. Thing is, I'm always going to use logic to the best of my ability, and try to express it the best I can. Maybe I express it too loudly. But right now, I sure as hell am going to FIGHT with every post, until somebody realizes that this bandwagon is a mistake, and innocents have just as much reason to deny accusations as do the guilty (because unlike real life, the truth doesn't come out until most people are dead and one faction decimated)

Bolded words above are famous baddie words. "Don't vote for me, or you'll be sorry" kind of a thing isn't a defense or a reason not to vote for you in the lynch. Sorry, DN, you are seeming guiltier and guiltier.

We can also figure that CP was not the Sergeant (good guy's every night block), right?

I'm not sure I understand the logic on this one. I was assuming the only other thing we knew was that CP wasn't the sniper since I think the sniper is immune from a first night kill.

EDIT: The riddle, PoW that is, shouldn't be too difficult

I have to say that I've never been able to get one of your PoWs either, so I wouldn't count on it not being too difficult. I'll look at it more after work but I didn't see anything promising at all on first inspection.

It was not illogical, as other people can now see as they are voting for you as well. I randomly voted for you, which would usually probe a defense and we got nothing, besides pushing the blame back. You even hinted in your rhyme you'd give a defense then said in it that you only would if I didn't change my vote. I still don't think we have had a legit reason for your innocence.

Haven't you considered that defenses can be double edged blades? I don't want to give away too much about myself if I don't have to.

Bolded words above are famous baddie words. "Don't vote for me, or you'll be sorry" kind of a thing isn't a defense or a reason not to vote for you in the lynch. Sorry, DN, you are seeming guiltier and guiltier.

And so are you, because I still hold your second post to be illogical. Without EDM's post, you would have been just as likely to be lynched as I would, and therefore my proposition of changing my vote if you changed your vote would have been appealing.

Also, bandwagons are bad in many situations, inside and outside of mafia. Think for yourself, don't think like the mass. You insist on lynching me because you think my first action (retaliation) indicates guiltiness. I disagree, but I do recognize that as a legitimate reason. I'm unsure why DudleyDude is lynching me - either he's bandwagon jumping (which is bad) or he thinks I'm suspicious smelling (which is fine, especially on the first day). I just want to make the distinction that it's not fine if he doesn't "smell" me. Finally, EDM has provided no reason whatsoever for her original post, and so either she was bandwagon jumping your random selection (which is bad) or EDM is a baddie.

Of course, now that I've stated I think MrsP and EDM are the most likely baddies, if they were the baddies then they would want to eliminate me first just because I'm sniffing the right trail, and therefore arguing with MrsP is useless. If on the other hand MrsP is not a baddie, then if either of us lynch the other, baddies still win.

Hm.

The good guys have a faction spy - the undercover cop. I haven't seen anybody defend somebody else specifically, except maybe DD for Wilson. Maybe the undercover cop was blocked, or selected CP.

Btw, I realize the futility of "don't vote for me, or you'll be sorry." But... don't vote for me, or you'll be sorry. =P The riddle explains why. In one and a half hours, I'll be able to reveal my profession without the loss of ability tomorrow night... which means I probably won't survive the night, unless the blocker or sniper can guess El Jefe. If somebody agrees with my synopsis of EDM, and it turns out to be correct, then she might get blocked or sniped, which means a 50/50 chance of me surviving the night - which is better than a 0% chance of surviving the day if I don't reveal myself.

I'm not sure I understand the logic on this one. I was assuming the only other thing we knew was that CP wasn't the sniper since I think the sniper is immune from a first night kill.

I have to say that I've never been able to get one of your PoWs either, so I wouldn't count on it not being too difficult. I'll look at it more after work but I didn't see anything promising at all on first inspection.

Dang, I forgot that she couldn't be the sniper! Reason for not being Sergeant:

"CrazyPainter gazed closely at her partner for the night. She wasn't sure about the Sergeant's new system implemented this evening,"

That narrows it down two people! I just realized that maybe the faction cop, whom I mentioned in my last post, could have been CP - 50% chance.

As for the riddle... well, it's one of my usual PoW types. And by that I mean, it's either taking every nth letter, or every nth letter of every word. (unlike, say, Coppola Dynamics... I'm sad that nobody's gotten that one yet)

EDIT: Marth hasn't said anything in a while. =(

(I'm not implying anything by that statement... I'm just hoping for more participation, esp. so that someone might start seeing it my way, or at least solve the riddle)

EDIT2:

@DudleyDude

You never explained why you're choosing me over EDM

(it would suck if you turned out to be a baddie, you being the only one who has confirmed my EDM suspicion, I think)

EDIT3:

Holy crap. I write a lot. *huge understatement*

Edited by DarthNoob

If the Noob is a baddie. Where is his bud?

Would he not appear to defend him or accuse another?

Just thoughts though. In my eyes,change of signature=mistake.

What do you mean by "change of signature"? *

Eating dinner now! Might eat laptop side, not sure**

EDIT:

Btw, my guess is that my friend, if I were a baddie, would be somebody that voted for me, because then they could last minute change the vote. Also, it wouldn't be the first vote, MrsP. So... probably DD. And because that is just as plausible as the MrsP + EDM theory... ugh, things are looking bad for me.

Though, I've still got the edge (logic-wise) on EDM, seeing as how her post still has yet to be explained. I just don't have the edge vote wise -.-

*EDIT2 that gave me an idea

**EDIT3 eating laptop side ^^

Edited by DarthNoob

By change of signature I mean...."You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style!"

Was this always there and I just missed it?

Oh, it's (the lolita quote) been up there quite a while now, my guess is a couple weeks. Of course, you can't take my word for it... you'll have to wait for somebody else to respond, maybe somebody noticed it sooner.

Is there any way to look at older topics exactly as they used to be? I checked out one of my earlier topics but it's got the same sig I have now

I think i need to clarify something. The night post was written well before CP was selected by the baddies to be killed, and all I did was fill in her handle and validate that all the pronouns were correct. Now, I feel I should confuse you all even more and say that *this* post should not be construed to mean that she was the Sergeant.

All I am saying is that the night post should not be be read in any manner that would lead someone to infer CP's role. In other words, any hints that are in the night post are purely accidental and unintentional and should not be read as such.

Although the analysis of DudleyDude about her not being the sniper is spot on :)

I will be more careful in the future with respect to these things (sorry to have caused any confusion...this is my first hosting gig and I'm learning too :))

I think i need to clarify something. The night post was written well before CP was selected by the baddies to be killed, and all I did was fill in her handle and validate that all the pronouns were correct. Now, I feel I should confuse you all even more and say that *this* post should not be construed to mean that she was the Sergeant.

All I am saying is that the night post should not be be read in any manner that would lead someone to infer CP's role. In other words, any hints that are in the night post are purely accidental and unintentional and should not be read as such.

Although the analysis of DudleyDude about her not being the sniper is spot on :)

I will be more careful in the future with respect to these things (sorry to have caused any confusion...this is my first hosting gig and I'm learning too :))

Dang.

Now that it's three hours 'till night, and nobody's changing his vote, can I tell 'em who I am? Or do you want to do the honors? Or is that out of the question?

Edited by DarthNoob

Manicomio Citizens:

1. DudleyDude - voting for DarthNoob

5. Marth

6. Wilson

DM you cant tell anyone your role or you will loose your ability for the day/night..re read rules post. Hints are allowed...

NOTE: Players that come out with their roleswithout being probed/pressured for it will be punished by loss ofability the following night.

Edited by crazypainter