Jump to content
BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers


  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Posts posted by Enya_and_WeirdAl_fan

  1. Hi.

    I have a question of nomenclature.  Is there a name given for a particular 
    set of 4 cells from an otherwise empty 4x4 grid, having the property that 
    they include ONE cell in each row, ONE cell in each column, and ONE cell 
    in each of the two main diagonals?

    An example:

    ║ ▓▓ │    │    │    ║
    ║    │    │ ▓▓ │    ║
    ║    │    │    │ ▓▓ ║
    ║    │ ▓▓ │    │    ║

    I hope the above figure shows up well in your display.  You may wish to 
    copy all this and paste it into a simple text editor and using the UTF-8 
    text encoding, as well as a fixed-pitch font.

    Anyway, I've been referring to such sets of 4 as challenger configurations, 
    which I named after a daily puzzle I used to do, carried in some newspapers, 
    called the Challenger.  They would show a mostly empty 4x4 grid with totals 
    displayed for each row, column, and both diagonals, as well as 4 given numbers.
    The challenge was to fill in the remaining 4x4 grid cells each with a choice of 
    number from 1 to 9 so as to make the totals correct.  There was also a challenge 
    time in which to complete the task.

    Now I figure that about 99% of the time the POSITIONS of the grid for the 
    given numbers would, like the configuration shown above, include one of the 
    given numbers by itself in a corner, one of the given numbers by itself on an 
    outer edge, and the other two given numbers diagonally adjacent to each other, 
    both of their positions on the grid being a chess knight's jump from the lone 
    edge, and one of them also being a knight's jump from the lone corner.  For 
    there to be ONE given number in each row, and in each column, and in both of 
    the two main diagonals, the POSITIONS would HAVE to be as I've described.

    Anyway, shall I continue to refer to it as a challenger configuration, or have 
    mathematicians already chosen a name for one of these configurations?





  • Create New...