BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

akaslickster

Question

24 answers to this question

Rotating Dot Whirlpool

Try staring at this for more than 5 seconds without going crazy.

Then try following it around!

dot_whirlpool.gif Curves constantly die out and then re-evolve as part of another curve.

i did it!

of course, it's like trying to make water wet... :)

Nice. But how do they make it?

I tried to replicate this. Not quite successful but I think my effort is interesting:

http://clowder.net/hop/swirlingdots/swirlingdots.html

I started with a ring of dots spaced 9 degrees apart. Cloned shrank it by 94 percent each ring.

1st ring rotates 2 degrees/frame

2nd ring rotates 1.5 degrees/frame

3rd ring rotates 1 degree/frame

4th ring rotates .5 degrees/frame

5th ring motionless

6th ring -.5 degrees/frame

7th -1 degrees/frame

8th -1.5 degrees/frame

9th -2 degrees/frame

10th -2 degrees/frame

11 -1.5 degrees/frame

etc.

Nice. But how do they make it?

My Google-Fu isn't up to finding the maker today.

Brain Den does a good job of letting us know who the creators of various optical illusions are.

But it annoys me that many optical illusion pages give no attribution whatsoever.

(I'm not criticizing akaslickster -- I imagine he found it on one of the optical illusion pages that give no attribution).

Hop

Edited by Hop David

Dang, Hop! That's quite an impressive project. I almost like yours better than the original!

ditto. Its interesting... but not... able to make you go crazy. It makes you go SUPER CRAZY! HOW DID YOU DO THAT?

I don't know about anyone else, but I could see rainbows in Hop's sprial...groovy :wacko:

that is great--"Hop's Spiral" you got a "thing" going. i would like to have that for a screensaver: the Hop's Spiral

I tried to replicate this. Not quite successful but I think my effort is interesting:

I started with a ring of dots spaced 9 degrees apart. Cloned shrank it by 94 percent each ring.

5th ring motionless

7th -1 degrees/frame

8th -1.5 degrees/frame

9th -2 degrees/frame

10th -2 degrees/frame

11 -1.5 degrees/frame

etc.

Wonderful.

Very nice hop, the only thing i notice different with your animation and the op animation is as follows:

1 is row 5 is stationary on your animation however on op it twists, basically because op is made with a series of two dots per row instead of one solid.

on the 1st row some dots "disappear" I imagine these do this due to size constraints in the image itself and not on original coding.

Overall I really like your Animation better. Op animation is very well programmed and is a nice go CrAzY illusion.

It seems to me both animations resemble some sort of symbolism towards a governing body,

Management, Government, Board of Directors or what have you.

as the governing body twists and pulls at the people affected they twist and pull on those below and so forth until what is supposed to happen is a shatter point but instead like most great governing bodies they somehow keep some peace and the process begins again.

the constant motion of twists, made my Hop :P

i love it.

Very nice hop, the only thing i notice different with your animation and the op animation is as follows:

1 is row 5 is stationary on your animation however on op it twists, basically because op is made with a series of two dots per row instead of one solid.

on the 1st row some dots "disappear" I imagine these do this due to size constraints in the image itself and not on original coding.

Overall I really like your Animation better. Op animation is very well programmed and is a nice go CrAzY illusion.

It seems to me both animations resemble some sort of symbolism towards a governing body,

Management, Government, Board of Directors or what have you.

as the governing body twists and pulls at the people affected they twist and pull on those below and so forth until what is supposed to happen is a shatter point but instead like most great governing bodies they somehow keep some peace and the process begins again.

the constant motion of twists, made my Hop :P

i love it.

I've thought of the citizens of a nation or members of a church as being parts of a larger body -- cells in a multicellular organism, so to speak. I've also thought of such bodies fragmenting and re-coalescing into new bodies. But that was the furthest thing from my mind when doing this animation. But it does work as a metaphor for a recurring pattern in human behavior. Thanks!

Rotating Dot Whirlpool

dot_whirlpool.gif Curves constantly die out and then re-evolve as part of another curve.

Anyone can find these. They just need to look. I knew it was an attention getter so I brought it with me. :)

5th ring motionless

7th -1 degrees/frame

8th -1.5 degrees/frame

9th -2 degrees/frame

10th -2 degrees/frame

11 -1.5 degrees/frame

etc.

Not quite as mesmerising but still pretty clever. well done!!!

Rotating Dot Whirlpool

Yeah... I didn't go crazy. Epic Phaliure.