BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Symbol

rookie1ja

Symbol - Back to the Number Puzzles

What mathematical symbol can be placed between 5 and 9, to get a number greater than 5 and smaller than 9?

This old topic is locked since it was answered many times. You can check solution in the Spoiler below.

Pls visit New Puzzles section to see always fresh brain teasers.

Symbol - solution

decimal point – 5.9

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
You could also put a square root sign between them

No, this would not actually work. It would translate to five times the square root of nine. Since the square root of nine is three, the value would then be fifteen, which is not less than nine.

Hi IM New and i just luv ur puzzles.. This was quite good. even though i solve it ok... isnt it u can put a square root sign on the 9... or a point between the 5 and teh 9... Love it :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

i have a question tho, hw many people see the puzzle, solve it or look at the awncer then go away?

how many of them, if intrigued, bother to go to a seccond page?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
i have a question tho, hw many people see the puzzle, solve it or look at the awncer then go away?

how many of them, if intrigued, bother to go to a seccond page?

I confess- I usually just read the puzzle, either figure it out or look at the answer, and then I do read the comments, but this is the first time I've made a comment.

Good question! I wouldn't have thought of the decimal :D

Well, I tried the square-root operator, and it yielded an answer that was too big. So I figured, how about the third-root (Cube-root)? Still too big. So the fourth-root works, though. So putting the operator between the numbers would imply a multiplication operation, a two-in-one deal. The fourth-root of nine is approx. 1.372. Multiply that by five to get approx. 8.660, which is greater than five, and less than nine.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

how many of them, if intrigued, bother to go to a second page?

I think reading the answers you all give is some of the best parts of this place. Y'all make me laugh when you argue.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, I tried the square-root operator, and it yielded an answer that was too big. So I figured, how about the third-root (Cube-root)? Still too big. So the fourth-root works, though. So putting the operator between the numbers would imply a multiplication operation, a two-in-one deal. The fourth-root of nine is approx. 1.372. Multiply that by five to get approx. 8.660, which is greater than five, and less than nine.

Thats what I was thinking