BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Last week
  2. Oxygen As trees make it but don't use in the day while photosynthesis A person who buys cylinder filled of oxygen obviously doesn't need it , he needs it for his family The patient canopy see and feel the oxygen
  3. Earlier
  4. @EventHorizon said, But once Plato says that "one die is a 4," it doesn't merely prune out the ones without 4's. That’s the crux of it. EH is correct that this reads on Monty Hall. But more directly on the long-running Teanchy-Beanchy post (one of his two kids is a girl, what’s the probability he has two girls.) First people said has to be 1/2. Then others (including me) said (all that matters is that) it can’t be BB so it’s 1/3. Both wrong. so I made this one up to show that the informant’s algorithm has to be known. Nicely explained.
  5. I agree completely with EventHorizon, and will try to summarize in a way that addresses the OP and deconvolutes the paradox at its heart:
  6. I cannot find the solution to this test question, any help?
  7. addendum: I didn't come up with this myself. Monty Hall was asked about the Monty Hall problem, and his response was such.
  8. Insert the the five missing signs!
  9. The part that I turned red in the quote bugs me a little bit.
  10. EventHorizon, that sounds more convincing than my posts, thanks!
  11. How did all those 2/11 become Thalia’s answer?
  12. ... and the first? ?, 121, 144, 202, 244, ?
  13. What's the next number in this sequence? 121, 144, 202, 244, ?
  14. And so thought poor Aristotle until today's class. He knew the probability of two dice making seven, until his teacher told him the value of one of his dice. Then he reasoned it to be different. Ah, the magic of conditional probability, he thought. But then he reasoned further that it was not the knowledge of which value one of his dice had, for it did not matter whether that value was 1 2 3 4 5 or 6. It was seemingly only that it had a value. But what kind of conditional probability is that? Was he not already aware of that? One of his dice has a particular value. Six values engender six cases. In each particular case he reasons the probability of seven changes to a new value. Worse, there are no other cases. Therefore in every case it changes to a new value. How then could it have the value he originally imagined? So there's the question that lurks within the flavor text. Beneath the surface perhaps, but now fully revealed for all to ponder.
  15. @CaptainEd Brilliant.
  16. @flamebirde Yes. The gun’s owner did the deed. Implied but not stated. Good catch.
  17. Is the owner of the gun automatically the murderer?
  1. Load more activity